Mashed Potatoes

What's being worked on today?

24 posts in this topic

I tend to keep a photo diary of every ECU that gets mapped and I thought it might be nice just to have somewhere to post them so people can see what I get up to! 

Today we have....

An Iveco Daily that has been mapped in the past very poorly, lots of smoke under load and plenty missed in the map. It had also been re-sealed with bathroom sealant!

20170629_130222.thumb.jpg.2b2b55cf324398e07e9d31aeb58fca7d.jpg

And I've also got a 330D LCI 241BHP ECU here being done by post. This will produce about 310BHP mapped with speed limiter delete.

20170629_132237.thumb.jpg.211d40f903326d700415f9f2142d7b2e.jpg

Loadmaster likes this

Possible silly question....why are they all being mapped on the bench and not through obd? I appreciated not all ECU can be mapped this way but surely a 15plate Hyundai can?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Mashed Potatoes likes this

2 hours ago, trenchy24 said:

Possible silly question....why are they all being mapped on the bench and not through obd? I appreciated not all ECU can be mapped this way but surely a 15plate Hyundai can?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

You'd be amazed at just how many still cannot be done OBD. All of the diesel Hyundais I can think of from 09 onwards need the ECU to be opened unfortunately. Most VAG stuff will write OBD but not always read, it's a virtual read and if a good original file is available it can go back in OBD. All of the BMW petrols and diesels from about 2010 onwards need the ECU to be opened up too. When I started this 6 years ago it was much easier, every year the ECUs become more challenging to work on. Be it for access inside (the infamous flipboard ECU BMW use in their diesels or the new MEVD petrol family that has all of the plugs in the middle of the ECU, and in some cases has the capacitors inside bonded to the lid so you risk ripping them off the board opening it up). Mercedes are generally good for OBD unless it's one of the newer petrols or a V6 diesel. The ECU used in the Hyundai is one of the more advanced Bosch ones again that whilst being encrypted, is also password protected. A good 50-60% of the cars I do all require the ECUs to be opened up. Unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule for what can be done OBD though, in terms of manufacturer. Brand new diesel Jaguar? OBD. Same with Land Rover. Brand new Corsa VXR? OBD. Then you get into the realms of disabling tuning protection (which my tools will do on some ECUs). 09 plate Audi 3.0 diesel for example has a tuning protected ECU but it can be removed, opened, patched to allow OBD reading and writing then go back in the car and can be done as many times as you want through the diagnostic port. I have a Audi S5 (Siemens ECU) coming in the morning that'll need the ECU removing and opening, unlocking to allow OBD writing, then it'll go back in the car to be read and written OBD. This is one of the Bosch models BMW use in their newer petrols from a 428i. Horrible ECU to work on. This is one of the ones with the capacitors glued to the lid.

20170610_142433.jpg

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
sshooie likes this

Audi A5 3.0TFSi 333BHP that needs the ECU unlocking before it can be written through the diagnostic port. Nice easy ECU to open these. Get them hot with a heat gun, unfold the clips around the edges then peel the lid off. The glue goes really stretchy. Quick read and write times through the OBD port now producing 400BHP on stage 1.

20170701_095907.thumb.jpg.910e7ce8006e13d66b27f73298774cf8.jpg

Then it's been a E90 320D 184BHP flipboard ECU that I drill using a jig instead of risking snapping a trace inside the board flexing it. This make between 220 and 230BHP on stage 1.

20170701_112142.thumb.jpg.6877897b0cb414e7a45cb9d43563785a.jpg

20170701_135250.thumb.jpg.58448a0592fbe97a5a413666d3d2c0e2.jpg

And lastly a 118D 143bhp on a 09 plate. An ECU that opens normally! About 190bhp on stage 1.

20170701_114951.thumb.jpg.522ac05d3d1a71ac3b56565dd4524268.jpg

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

How do you cope with the swarf when drilling?

Great write ups btw.

Thanks :). The instructions for the jig show to drill downwards, but I don't. I clamp it all in place then put it in a bench vice and drill upwards so have gravity working with me. A compressed air line connects to the jig which blows the swarf away from the hole, and afterwards before turning it over I'll hoover it out for a few minutes too as a final just in case. 

sshooie likes this

Another 330D in today but this time the customer requested stage 2 tuning with it's associated add-ons, so if they're feeling brave it'll blast all the way past the 155 limiter! It'll be making around 340-350BHP. This one also had a 335 style exhaust section made. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of that just another ECU!

20170705_105232.jpg

Hello 

i just bought a 530d. is on 05 plate. what are the options for remapping it and how much is costing? 

Another 3 series this morning. A F30 shape 316D. This is the same engine used in the 318D just detuned to a lower power level so a stage 1 tune takes them up to mapped x18D power level. This will've gone from 115BHP standard up to 190BHP. The tuning is also completely hidden to BMW diagnostics so as far as their systems are concerned the engine ECU is completely untouched so there is no danger of voiding the cars warranty. 

20170706_102936.jpg

3 hours ago, Paris 530d said:

Hello 

i just bought a 530d. is on 05 plate. what are the options for remapping it and how much is costing? 

Hi there,

Your car can be mapped through the diagnostic port. Depending on mileage and condition of the car they are capable of 260BHP with the DPF still in place. I am assuming your car is the 218BHP standard model? This would be £220 but with the forum discount it drops down to £200.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Hi there,

Your car can be mapped through the diagnostic port. Depending on mileage and condition of the car they are capable of 260BHP with the DPF still in place. I am assuming your car is the 218BHP standard model? This would be £220 but with the forum discount it drops down to £200.

Thanks for your reply. yes my car is with the 218bhp. the previous owner has change injectors, turbo manifold, feels ok. is on 140k at the moment.

Is any way that i can tell if the turbo is in good condition? is any test that i can do?  

And yet another ECU out! This is another Hyundai 1.7 but with a later ECU. 3 pins required to get the ECU to come up in bootmode. Awkward but not impossible to get at on the processor legs. Just very close together! About .4mm wide per leg. A microscope is required to see them properly for the grabbing probes to go on.

20170706_172713.jpg

sshooie and Hairyarse like this

6 hours ago, Paris 530d said:

Thanks for your reply. yes my car is with the 218bhp. the previous owner has change injectors, turbo manifold, feels ok. is on 140k at the moment.

Is any way that i can tell if the turbo is in good condition? is any test that i can do?  

The best way really is to pull the inlet pipe off and feel for play in the turbo. Do you hear any whining sound in the mornings? Kinda like a police siren? 

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The best way really is to pull the inlet pipe off and feel for play in the turbo. Do you hear any whining sound in the mornings? Kinda like a police siren? 

No mate. the engine is absolute quite.  

When I bought my e92 330d I found a receipt for a stage 1 remap and DPF removal. It claims to now have 305bhp and a lot more torque (can't remember the figure)

Anyway, it certainly does go very well indeed, way faster than my mates E60 530d. I'm intrigued as to whether these are BS selling figures or if it's true so am going to book a power run at a local rolling road. I'll post up the results when I've been.

3 hours ago, Nomis said:

When I bought my e92 330d I found a receipt for a stage 1 remap and DPF removal. It claims to now have 305bhp and a lot more torque (can't remember the figure)

Anyway, it certainly does go very well indeed, way faster than my mates E60 530d. I'm intrigued as to whether these are BS selling figures or if it's true so am going to book a power run at a local rolling road. I'll post up the results when I've been.

Thats about right for a 231 330D. You can push them up to around 320, but I don't normally advise that. They go sodding well at 300!

It's all been the same as usual this week so no massive picture spam posts, but there was quite a nice one in today.

20170714_155133.thumb.jpg.f98ee7a51b9ce863619b7df304e998d1.jpg

These again are tuned low from the factory. 457BHP standard in the C63 but a stage 1 will make around 510BHP. This one had been decatted in preparation for mapping so was pushed harder and mapped for higher octane fuel. It'll be making around 530BHP. He came back with the window down and just shouted OH MY GOD as he pulled back up. It had a full tank in it when he brought it in. That'll all be gone by the end of the night! :lol: Programmed through the diagnostic port but an ID only ECU so no data can be extracted from the ECU, only written unless it's removed and opened up. A stock file was located and that was modified then programmed in. 

20170714_155123.thumb.jpg.dd1dcc1d822cd8659d56f3cbeccbc125.jpg

Awesome cars those large cube AMG's! I loved my brief spell with the E55. Shame they never made them manual which might have helped with the appalling fuel economy. The engines are works of art imo.

You're not wrong they're incredible to drive! I just wouldn't want to do 20k a year in one especially when most of it is round town. 

Another few in today. A3 2.0TDi on a 62 plate, done through the diagnostic port, added an EGR delete to a Mondeo done previously, and a 330D tuned to stage 2. The same settings on another car made 322BHP. The customer requested winding it right up!

20170715_140336.thumb.jpg.ccb80f44e36b2b6fef3a1a273fbd4ef5.jpg

Mr Mashed Potatoes, you must have the patience of a saint and nerves of steel to work on electronics like that. Also, 175bhp from a diesel Hyundai? That's impressive!

On 17/07/2017 at 8:11 PM, NWJW said:

Mr Mashed Potatoes, you must have the patience of a saint and nerves of steel to work on electronics like that. Also, 175bhp from a diesel Hyundai? That's impressive!

Haha thanks! I've had a few years of practice at it so it's not that scary now!