Guys and girls, Need some help as I'm at the point where it's now getting to the point I'm falling out of love with my 5 series 520d m sport a car I've always wanted but starting to regret..... please help any and all advise will be so so appreciated ......

about 3 weeks ago my left dipped beam bulb blew, replaced that and a week later the right dipped beam blew, now tonight in 1 go I've lost the right dipped beam again and also my left angel eye ! Is this a common fault or could it just be a case of expired bulbs and an iffy one in the replaced one ? Ive checked the fuses they are all ok, until I can afford upgrading the light system to creed xenons I need these to last a little longer than a bulb a week !!! Thanks all jonathan 

IMG_2417.PNG

Cheers teddy ! But I'm sure you can appreciate ! I've wanted one of these delights for a very long time and the "niggly" issues may as well be timing chain swirls etc but like I said still need some help :( 

@jongriff1066 that looks like you need a new battery or voltage regulator. Seems the battery is overcharged by the regulator. You can go to BMW, purchase a new battery, register it, if it's the exact same battery and try then, I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Edited by BMW.Enthusiastic

Use decent quality bulbs. Philips or Bosch, don't use cheap own brand bulbs. Switch all electrical items off before engine switch off, same before starting engine that helps prevent things blowing due to electrical spikes.....I owned a Vauxhall and learnt that trick the hard way!

On 27 June 2017 at 9:24 PM, teddy83 said:

Could be worse!! Could be timing chain, gearbox, turbo, dpf, swirl flaps, manifold, Idrive etc etc........

When he's right, he's right! :lol: 

the blowen new bulb or lamp (as I'm sure bulbs flower and don't give off much light! ;) ) you might of touched with your fingers as you installed it an thus left an oily residue on it causing it to prematurely fail? If not, then as mr 535iAndrew says stick with quality lamps and not poundland specials....

then if all that doesn't work, go deeper into it like Mr BMW.enthusiactic says. 

Oh and you really don't want it to be a timing chain issue or swirl flap issue....

Hi guys thanks for the comments I've started changing my start up habits as lights were kept on auto and since then I haven't lost a bulb so it seems there must be a surge in start up or so I'm assuming !!! Thanks all for the comments however I've lost an angel light anyone tell me what the thing is in the pic please cheers

jon

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

Cheers guys is it usual for these to fail ? Checked power going to it and that's all fine ! Think il upgrade them both today and place an order for replacements !! 

Again cheers all 

LED markers are not prone to failures I'm afraid. It looks like it's related to the exact same issue as you described with the other bulbs. You must check the voltage regulator ASAP.

21 minutes ago, jongriff1066 said:

Marko thanks for the heads up however could you direct me to the location of the voltage regulator please ? Many thanks 

On the alternator I think

1 minute ago, jongriff1066 said:

Guys thanks so much !!! Could do with an idiots guide on this one ! Like pictures drawings big arrows the whole works :) 

cheers all 

Use RealOEM :)

This is for my 530d 2004:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NJ72-EUR-06-2004-E61-BMW-530d&diagId=12_1199

If you have DIS, run it and do some schedule testings to see what's the real problem, do it for the alternator. You could do it through BC menu as mentioned by @Dieselfan but DIS is a lot better and can do end-to-end testings.

On 01/07/2017 at 11:43 PM, Yokozuna said:

They are called lamps! 

Not bulbs......

It's not a Hoover it's a vacuum cleaner.. :lol:

They are the wrong ones - later models have a LAMP for each 'eye' if you like, whereas yours (like mine) has the single marker as in the third pic above. 

So in our case, one for each side. 

Edited by j2112
Exp