jinsta

E60 Aftermarket Speaker Depth! SOLVED

Ok hopefully just a quick one!

Can anyone confirm the max depth we can use for front door/rear shelf aftermarket 4" speakers ?

Ta in advance!

Edited by jinsta

Hi,

Not sure of mounting depths and/or any other physical mounting issues which could present themselves when installing individual locations with after market speakers, but my recommendation to you would be to upgrade the front only first using one of the custom fit and impedance/power/location matched speaker kits  from the likes of MTX, Gladen, Hertz, Focal, Rockford Fosgate, MB Quart, Rainbow and Earthquake etc. They're all guaranteed to fit and are custom designed to make the best of the oem amplifier. 

If you are doing a more traditional audio install and want to use specific types/brands/models of speakers/drivers then you'll need to keep scouring to see if anyone else has done the same and provided fitment details and knowledge, or, you'll need to measure/look at your car and try to find potential speakers from their specifications and try them. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks for the response Dennis! I'm taking the traditional route, nowt flashy...but enough to hopefully sound nice enough :) 

Just got two sets of 4" inPhase component mids (XTC4CX), but bit unsure they will fit now (they state about 50mm mounting depth). Shelf i 'think' will be fine, but worried about window clearance up front

Need to sort adaptor rings for the door speakers too so hope these dont add much unall

Pending all fits, will slap in a couple of tweeter sets and juice up with 4ch amp + gladen 4ch loom.....sub and amp to then follow in boot.

Should sound ok. Im on the poverty 6spk setup so can only get better :) 

Thought I’d update this one…got round to completing my little install

So front doors (LCI Doorcards) = Depth Approx 49mm

Front door/mirror area Tweeters = 1” fitted fine

QlVbyjnhQ_h5mnVOeMmhkK8UdobFmWpJ7ZDRMa64

c_Dj1N_q2jAYA-MJkSdAQ2dAVCezBtnSJQmRfPoZ

1kK0s3j7m4E5xSG8L-mDyXB8MVdve6ztrxbxnp8U

O6410MD6qf56qxnrflkqnfnoPImaGqhuNaT-Fe67

Rear Shelf = Depth Approx 75mm

Rear Shelf Tweeters = loads of room. 1” fitted but needed padding

Lx-KShJUNvfQ0E92i9mrYVYgFIwkjU77fBWcLgCC

R9OH5sOyKeZM_FdyJV3IS0qJzlgDhHorRN2AMxFC

For the aftermarket 4”, just one tab needs cutting back, two line up fine….one needs modding:

Gladen loom

os1ebOE0A6ASLX54YUAJTX6fa0nvqyFtsjWeBB0p

ZtKmDwVAbW1tLfZ1sV25tXZ8JboP0zWGwXM1dN7x

Additional

Used three way components so with front speakers, I disconnected the factory under seat wiring and ran my own wires from crossover (under the door panel) to the under seat subs. Easy enough really, the factory boot inbetween body and car needs to be undone (8mm nut I think it was), carpet area on side foot well lifted and then you have plenty of space to work with and pass straight through. My crossover boxes fit perfect in the door card…but the lids had to be dismissed as depth became too high (not a biggie). To make life easier later when removing door cards, I bought and wired up a few connector blocks for my new speaker wiring from door (tweets, underseats, main feed) to doorcard (mids, crossover box)

s-l500.jpg

All works well and I capped frequency from amp so not to overwork any bass being outputted. Basically now have a 8 speaker setup, decent mids and high ts…and generally more defined bass. At some point will run a proper sub in the boot, but happy enough for now

Potential issue

One thing I have noticed is the warning bongs, parking senor noises etc are all amplified now too. Not ideal this so need to work out if the lvels at all can be adjusted

Worth updaing that sorted the loud level issue. Had to code the m-ask unit to be 'HIFI', opposed to default 'Stereo' and that chops the output level by about half so lets me let the amp do more work and sounds allot cleaner. The warning bongs etc also needed coding to output at a lower level (theres actually about half a dozen levels to choose from and can be set after main outputs been set). Thats levels sorted!

A new issue however is when i turn gains up high, i geta 'static hiss' sound. This doesnt go up/down with volume, stays constant. No change in sound when driving (alt whine etc)

Have redone grounds/all wiring on amp side and makes no diff. If i unplug rca, static noise goes away...so its a rca loom back problem of sort :( is it possible the head unit neads a better ground? or if it needs a loop back to my amp ground point. bit baffled

Another issue i have notticed that even on full fade to rears...i still have some sound being outputted to front chanels. weird one, although fades always set 50/50 so not noticible

One other thing that bothers me is i unpluged the factory underseat sub, ran a seperate wire to input the subs to me crossovers....but does the underseat oem wiring need a 'loop' or anything now? or is being left unplugged ok like?