Sign in to follow this  
Mazi

Any ZF Gearbox gurus on here

I have just bought an E46 330i Touring Auto as a daily run about. 

My cars gives a faint jolt when coming to a standstill at the lights. Its not really that noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Should I change the gearbox oil and filter or do I have the beginnings of something more sinister?

I'm by no means a guru, but based on what I've read on here and my own limited experience I'd start with getting the codes read. If nothing ominous shows up then go for the oil and filter change.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

That is a good shout. Will a snap on verdict machine be able to read gearbox codes or will I need something BMW specific.

I am pretty sure the snap on should be ok.

That is a good shout. Will a snap on verdict machine be able to read gearbox codes or will I need something BMW specific.

I am pretty sure the snap on should be ok.

Can't help you on the that I'm afraid, though someone else on here may. I just took mine in for the ZF-recommended service.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Oil and filter change have been a massive plus for me in the past with at least 3 beemers. If the gearbox is gonna fail you'd have the cog light come up

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Is it a 5HP-19 gearbox code on the M54 engined 330i?

Where can I buy the ZF service kit in the UK??

Is the Meyle kit just as good???

OK Guys just done a gearbox oil and filter service and reset adaptations and its running silk.

OK Guys just done a gearbox oil and filter service and reset adaptations and its running silk.

Bet its not 100% cured it am I right?? Its known as gearbox shunt. Its the box changing to first too soon in reality. A software update cured it, whereby box stays in second gear for majority of pull offs etc. S o check your firmware to see when it was last updated. And then get update done, be around £70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk