Sarjoo

Trusty screenwash

Hi guys, wanted to find out which brand of screenwash have you found to work best, to prevent/limit wiper screech, especially on a drier windscreen perhaps.  This may be a combination of screenwash brand and wiper blade brand, that you find works best.

Do you find all the screenwash brands work equally well, or is there one brand you always go to for this and trust to do a good job.  In other words, does a £2 bottle 5litre generic one work as good as anything branded and much more pricey, in your experience.

I need to buy some and want to try and buy the right stuff, something that wont create screech noises, looks after the rubber on the wiper blades, and generally performs well in most conditions, without paying a ridiculous amount? 

Treating the window is more important than the quality of screenwash to keep the window and wipers in good condition

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

very nice, thanks for the info...do u know if that GTechniq stuff is the same kind of thing as Hydr02 Lite

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/carpro-hydro2-lite/prod_1488.html

As I have bought that before and it works very well on the actual paintwork, like it creates a film over the car and water just shoots off, I have refrained from spraying it on the glass though in case it creates friction or an almighty screech sound, unlikely it will but didn't take the risk!

I use the BMW concentrated screenwash, I get it from Cotswold BMW.  Being so concentrated it goes a long way.  I've never had a washer bottle clag up on a BMW as a result.  I use the G1 on the side and rear windows, I find it causes a lot of wiper judder if used on the windscreen.  I stick to OEM or Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades.

54 minutes ago, IINexusII said:

Treating the window is more important than the quality of screenwash to keep the window and wipers in good condition

100% +1

Although I use G4 NanoTech Glass Polish on the windscreen.

Clear the rubbish off the screen before you use decent washer fluid and Blades.

PS never had any problem NOT using BMW Washer fluid that some insist is necessary.

very nice, thanks for the info...do u know if that GTechniq stuff is the same kind of thing as Hydr02 Lite

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/carpro-hydro2-lite/prod_1488.html

As I have bought that before and it works very well on the actual paintwork, like it creates a film over the car and water just shoots off, I have refrained from spraying it on the glass though in case it creates friction or an almighty screech sound, unlikely it will but didn't take the risk!

Yes any sort of hydrophobic coating will do the job, some with last more than others and I'm trying the g1 at the moment and have good results.

As for screenwash I just use the halfords citrus concentrate, and dilute less in summer than in winter, smells nice :)

+1 on getting the screen and blades as clean as possible.

I find the Autoglym glass polish good if the screen is really dirty, but a bit messy due to the powdery residue. I use it occasionally, and their Fastglass cleaner between times.

I bought some Autoglym concentrated screenwash when Halfords had it on offer. Works OK and 500ml will dilute 8:1 so 4.5 litres for £2.95 ( http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=255225&productId=1110035&storeId=10001 ). It protects to -45C too - but only if you use it neat!

Someone on here helpfully suggested using a clay bar on the screen. I was doubtful but gave it a try and was amazed how much stuff it picked up off a very recently cleaned screen.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I have a clean windscreen (wash the car weekly and the windscreen gets a good clean with window cleaner and paper towels). I use Halfords pre-mixed with BMW wiper blades. Can't fault it plus the screen wash is about £2.15 with a trade card for 5l. 

6 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

I use the BMW concentrated screenwash, I get it from Cotswold BMW.  Being so concentrated it goes a long way.  I've never had a washer bottle clag up on a BMW as a result.  I use the G1 on the side and rear windows, I find it causes a lot of wiper judder if used on the windscreen.  I stick to OEM or Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades.

+1 BMW screen wash and Bosch Wipers (no different from the genuine BMW ones but half the price)

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Definitely go with the BMW screen wash although I've read the VW/Audi product is the same formulation.

I've used other screenwash products and had the misfortune of a clogged up filter in the washer fluid tank. Removed and cleaned it myself but it's a pain so I'm sticking to BMW fluid and de-ionised water.

Thanks for all the responses folks...I recently had the car detailed and the guy clayed the windscreen gently also, so its running silky smooth as far as wipers go, and i'll probably now base don reading the thread, purchase some of that G-Techniq stuff....my main worry was it causing wiper judder really, would really wind me up lol

I bought some citrus screenwash for another car recently from 'Home Bargains' for a feq quid, massive bottle, ready to use, and smells great. Didn't stick it in the BMW though as I didn't want to jinx the current shudder-free swipes lol

2 minutes ago, Dave777 said:

I understand BMW insist on you using their own screenwash or they say any problems/blockages are because of a 3rd party part!!

Wwwwwwwhhhaaatttt?

Next thing we will have to only use BMW fuel next......

Ive used good quality screenwash from Holts, Prestone etc.  The cheap nasty stuff will freeze at 2 below which is quite common where I stay and the decent stuff tends to freeze much lower.  I've never had a washer bottle gunge up. I had to fettle with the E39 one but I can't recall if that had sludged up or a hose had disconnected. It was easily fixed which is why I can't recal the details now.

Whats the freezing point of the BMW stuff then? Might give that a try.

I thought they were having a laugh, but then I saw how fine the filter mesh is, and decided not to risk it again. The tank and filter is located conveniently below the driver's side indicator repeater unit behind the front eing

I agree it is mad, but I saw it on the internet so it must be true!

As it is hard to get to it, I only use BMW stuff to avoid arguments.

On 6/26/2017 at 5:17 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Wwwwwwwhhhaaatttt?

Next thing we will have to only use BMW fuel next......

Ive used good quality screenwash from Holts, Prestone etc.  The cheap nasty stuff will freeze at 2 below which is quite common where I stay and the decent stuff tends to freeze much lower.  I've never had a washer bottle gunge up. I had to fettle with the E39 one but I can't recall if that had sludged up or a hose had disconnected. It was easily fixed which is why I can't recal the details now.

Whats the freezing point of the BMW stuff then? Might give that a try.

I only use BMW screenwash as I previously mentioned along with BMW air in the tyres as I've heard that helps the the RFT to float better over bumps and BMW fuel in the tank :rolleyes:

Oh and on a serious note, don't get me started on the Nitrogen filled road tyres nonsense!

Such cynicism!

Nitrogen in tyres is certainly worth the small additional sum to prevent loss of pressure, and you get the green valve caps.

I don't like to be too showy so I deleted the green caps and had black ones fitted. Instead I was content to experiencea subtle sense of superiority ....or at least I was until I found I had to top my tyres up!

Then, I realised nitrogen forms 78% of the air which I used to fill my tyres with, so I was paying for them just for adding the other 22% (+ an optional green valve cap)...and those pesky larger molecules were still managing to find their way out somehow even though I'd been promised they would never see the light of day.

I thought I had enough wool on my back to see through these scams, but I fell for it.

I will let you know if my washer pump filter gets clogged up despite using BMW's secret formula screen wash...

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, IINexusII said:

So I have decided to invest time and money into the G1/G2/G4 products and see how they fare, thanks for the heads up :)

12 hours ago, Caesar said:

Neat: -63 deg C

1:1: -23 deg C

Now that's impressive.  

I'll think I'll get some next time I'm at the dealer.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Oh and on a serious note, don't get me started on the Nitrogen filled road tyres nonsense!

Costco advertise Nitrogen filled tyres but as nearly 80% of the air  from my compressor or footpump that goes in my tyres is Nitrogen, I can live with it being an 8 out of 10 thing....

21 minutes ago, shauney said:

Out of interest how much are people paying for the BMW genuine stuff? And what's the dilution ratio?

A year ago £9 for 2 x 1 litre bottles. 2:1 water to screen-wash protects down to -12 Celsius which is what I am doing.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

35 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I paid £20 for 5 litres from Cotswold BMW. 

Inc p&p?

If it's so concentrated that's probably worth it.

I've paid much less £5-£8 for 5 litres that is good down to -20 deg C neat. But that's not BMW stuff.