teddy83

59 reg E61 530d - hesitant and jerky

Developed a fault yesterday. The car feels hesitant when accelerating and a bit jerky when cruising.

For the 1st 20-30 seconds of driving from cold it feels normal, bit after that it starts to be a problem. When putting your foot down, initially nothing happens, or it's very slow. Eventually it goes but your foot is so far down on the throttle that it takes off like a rocket. Seems to boost fine once this happens and it pulls well, bit as soon as you come off the throttle, the whole thing starts again. Any ideas? Dpf seems to regent fine and I tend to do long enough journeys for it. 101k - auto. I do tend to use crap fuel tbh

I haven't got a code reader and it's going into DM works in Aylesbury on wednesday

Edited by teddy83

Really could be anything, if it was me i would be checking fuel pump, fuel flow and injectors.

Any decent garage with a diagnostic machine would be able to do live data. 

Check it out with a diagnostics computer first, before you change anything. As Grizzle said it could be anything when you don't have a starting point.

Update for you. I'm not sure what the actual fault codes are but apparently the inlet manifold is probably coked up so iy needs to come off and it'll probably need to be replaced. Also if the ports are the same, the head will need to come off as well! 

Here we go!! £££££££££££

LOL, I could be wrong but yeah, it sounded like they saw 'mug me' tattoo'd on your head.

16 hours ago, teddy83 said:

You reckon? 

Yep. My clunking sound, I was told that my diff is f*cked and whatever is causing the clunking issue will cost at least £500 to fix. I ended up fixing it in under £180

Fixed!!! 

Took the manifold off and it was clean as a whistle. The little spring that controls the swirl flaps had disapearred and the the egr actuator didn't work. Basically 2 things that no car needs to begin with!! 

9 hours ago, 525-Jay said:

So a lot cheaper than what you first were told? Or was the garage's opinion on it correct?

The car had fault code 3ffo which seems to indicate what they said. To be Fair, there was a 09 plate 3.0d X5 there with the same symptoms and that fault code. He showed me the head and manifold and it was really coked up.

Ended up costing me 540 with a major service done as well as having the swirl flaps removed