We need a new section under technical (Admin).

Stretch Belt - Removal & Installation

This is a fantastic tool which I added to my toolbox, no messing with clamping which you find with others.

Inner Tie Rods

FVEwM4i

The Bergen universal tie rod removal tool is a cheaper alternative where 1/2" torque wrench can be used to tighten the rod to spec.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSXEUSDlOGocVU5GGBeVz

Ear Clamp Pliers

D0jeyww

Knipex 10 99 i220 (side clamping), however cheaper alternative pincers are available.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPeY112U4iF5xtCBe7bH2

Tools, good idea ;).

My info meeds are more basic at the moment. What are the common eTorx sizes used on the E60?

Edit:  Moved more specific question to it's own thread named loose strut brace bolts?

Edited by DarkHorse

I had to remove my air con compressor, so undoing the bolts the belt naturally came off, i put the compressor back on at an angle and used the bolting up procedure to pull the belt back

I recently changed the heater water valve and purchased this kit to help me with the various types of hose clips you come across.

£25 for 9 pcs from amazon, I don't think I could have done the job without it.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019Z98OL8/

a22mo2gl.jpg

Edited by Deviant

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

I recently changed the heater water valve and purchased this kit to help me with the various types of hose clips you come across.

£25 for 9 pcs from amazon, I don't think I could have done the job without it.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019Z98OL8/

a22mo2gl.jpg

I know knipex are silly money, but what's the quality like?

For 25 quid with a blow mould case, you can't argue with it. They're not snap on, but how often will the diy mechanic use them?

5 stars from amazon reviews. :lol:

If you're on your drive/street on a sunday afternoon, passed the point of no return with your coolant drained, you'll be glad you have this kit. B)

Edited by Deviant

Here's a useful wrench to have which saves carrying 8 separate spanners around. It covers the all important 16mm & 18mm which is common fastner size with BMW.  8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm and 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm.

s-l640.jpg

Facom 64C.J2 - RRP from £38

Edited by jake13

23 hours ago, Deviant said:

linkage my good man gMQ5J5n.gif

I bought them from Machine Mart with their vat free promo code. £36.50 from Amazon.

Edited by jake13

On 11/03/2018 at 7:05 PM, jake13 said:

Here's a useful wrench to have which saves carrying 8 separate spanners around. It covers the all important 16mm & 18mm which is common fastner size with BMW.  8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm and 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm.

s-l640.jpg

Facom 64C.J2 - RRP from £38

I've got a set of 4 of them made by Bahco.. Totally amazing

1 hour ago, ger said:

Agree that the Lisle belt tool is a gem, it just works!

I got the crank tool (same as the Bergen tool here) in a timing kit on ebay for about £20, something similar to this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232208113247

I took the chance that it would fit and it did :)

Yes, the simplicity of the Lisle tool is what makes it awesome. I looked at the timing kit for the M57TU but they don't include the crank tool (bit baffled, TDC not important?). In my heyday I would have knocked it out on the lathe :D

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

So are they double sided ratchets then?

so say 8/9 one end 10/11 the other as an example?

yep

5 hours ago, Blobby said:

Ta, I think the 3 set will do for the boot.

9 hours ago, jake13 said:

Totally agree, although their delivery is excellent, normally next day.

I didn't pay for them.. I stole work paid for them

Bagged these via cash convertors on Amazon, £99 brand new, £60 less than the average lowest price.

20180718_123314.jpg