Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattyv33

Broke down on M1 en route to Southampton Docks..

22 posts in this topic

IMG-20170617-WA0004.thumb.jpg.fe058c5961bc0a1afd35f990fe91b595.jpg

Nightmare, on the way to Southampton docks to catch a cruise ship to Spain, France and Gibraltar when the battery light starts flickering. Stopped at services to get a drink and noticed that the car cranked over a lot slower than earlier - I had a new battery put in just before it went into the paintshop as the the same thing happened and it completely died so bought a new one thinking the old was scrap - then as I'm driving down the M1 the radio turned off, all interior dash lights went dim and the windows slowed to a stop, then the traction, abs and exclamation light came on and finally the clocks went to 0mph and it slowed to a stop. Luckily we had just passed junc 16 M1 southbound and come out of the average speed limit with no hard shoulder onto national speed limit with a hard shoulder. Got out and went to the other side of the barrier, I noticed with the key out of the ignition the rear brake lights were permanently lit so I disconnected the battery.

Had a nightmare with AA, reported it at 10.40am and the guy finally turned up at 13.00 - he said he'd only been called by the AA 24 minutes earlier despite me calling them twice saying we had to board our ship at 15.30. So we were picked up and dropped off at Newport Pagnall services and had to get a taxi the rest of the way at a cost of £170 meanwhile the car is being recovered back home to Stoke.

I'm currently in a taxi hurtling towards Southampton Docks to hopefully catch the ferry in time!

Very stressful. Does it sound like a faulty alternator? Strange that the brake lights stayed on whilst the key was out of the ignition?

Glad that my Wife's mother and two brothers are with us otherwise my life would not be worth living especially when I said I didn't want to come down in her Merc CLA because it was uncomfortable!

I predict I won't of heard the last of this...

Oh and I curbed my freshly refurbed alloys, the NSR on the corner of a curb in the services car park.

Oh well!

Alternator very suspect. !

Say hello to my mum and dad and their two friends if you make it in time! ;) 

I had a similar experience with my old 530i when the alternator was on its way out but it gave me much more warning.

Whiskychaser's thoughts seconded.

Alternator, deffo. Exactly the same scenario when mine packed up, although with an E60 auto you get the additional joys of (a) the gearbox going into limp mode and sticking in 3rd, at which point you lose the speedo (no pulses from gearbox) and (b) the iDrive getting increasingly cranky before it shuts down - I was however hugely disappointed that before it died, the iDrive didn't sing Daisy Daisy at me...

mattyv33 likes this

You make it then? 

If so, you met my mum an dad yet? :lol:;) 

Re; The brake lights staying on, the clever bods at BMW appear to have though of many things that us mere mortals wouldn't have, in the dark, on the hard shoulder those brake lights will have warned others of your presence and quite possibly in such circumstances saved your life.  

Also, I had the alternator fail on my 535i, one minute it worked, one minute it didn't, I've found they don't give much warning, and have Yokozuna's parents made you a brew yet? 

Ha ha! The only brew they will be making will be with grey goose and ice! ;) 

That's a bad start to your holiday! Here's another one.

Ex-colleague decides they've had enough of family camping so advertises large frame tent for sale.

Phone rings. 'Hi, your tent still for sale? If so I'll have it'.

She: 'Errr...yes still for sale but hubby at work - needs him to help me put it up. Can you come this evening'?

He: 'No time. Just got our tent down from loft and it's been chewed by rats or mice. We're on ferry this evening. I'll come and collect it straight away'.

He arrives hot, sweaty, couple of grizzly kids, pays cash and races off.

Hubby arrives home.

She: 'Good news! I've sold the tent'. Much rejoicing.

Later that evening hubby returns from garage.

He: 'Hey, you know you sold the tent'?

She: 'Yep'.

He: 'Well the poles are still in the garage'.

Can you imagine the conversation on the campsite?

Enjoy your holiday!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

On 18/06/2017 at 0:18 AM, NWJW said:

Re; The brake lights staying on, the clever bods at BMW appear to have though of many things that us mere mortals wouldn't have, in the dark, on the hard shoulder those brake lights will have warned others of your presence and quite possibly in such circumstances saved your life.  

Also, I had the alternator fail on my 535i, one minute it worked, one minute it didn't, I've found they don't give much warning, and have Yokozuna's parents made you a brew yet? 

That makes sense now, I thought it was something to do with the electrics!

Re Yokozuna's folks, I may have to pass through on the way back for a lift!

Edited by mattyv33

On 18/06/2017 at 0:40 AM, Yokozuna said:

Ha ha! The only brew they will be making will be with grey goose and ice! ;) 

Will look forward to that :D

18 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

That's a bad start to your holiday! Here's another one.

Ex-colleague decides they've had enough of family camping so advertises large frame tent for sale.

Phone rings. 'Hi, your tent still for sale? If so I'll have it'.

She: 'Errr...yes still for sale but hubby at work - needs him to help me put it up. Can you come this evening'?

He: 'No time. Just got our tent down from loft and it's been chewed by rats or mice. We're on ferry this evening. I'll come and collect it straight away'.

He arrives hot, sweaty, couple of grizzly kids, pays cash and races off.

Hubby arrives home.

She: 'Good news! I've sold the tent'. Much rejoicing.

Later that evening hubby returns from garage.

He: 'Hey, you know you sold the tent'?

She: 'Yep'.

He: 'Well the poles are still in the garage'.

Can you imagine the conversation on the campsite?

Enjoy your holiday!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Ha ha! Cheers!

If you live in Stoke why were you taking the M1 to get to Southampton?

Hope the car gets sorted and you have a great holiday.

hope you made it! Should have joined the RAC instread of the AA - they only take 2 hours in the scorching sun to get to you whilst blocking the main A road out of the city!! LOL

urquattro likes this

22 hours ago, E39mad said:

If you live in Stoke why were you taking the M1 to get to Southampton?

Hope the car gets sorted and you have a great holiday.

That was the quickest route according to Google Maps..

21 hours ago, Machinehead said:

hope you made it! Should have joined the RAC instread of the AA - they only take 2 hours in the scorching sun to get to you whilst blocking the main A road out of the city!! LOL

Made it only just, however the AA will be paying for the taxi and the car hire to get us home!

I have bought an alternator off ebay, the guy said it fits all e39s from 97 to 03 but now I've paid he's not so sure as one website said it fits and one website doesn't - just wondering if anyone can confirm it will please?

The ebay number is 252981382617 - I have an 03 e39 525d and the reg is BG03UUF.. cheers 

3 hours ago, mattyv33 said:

That was the quickest route according to Google Maps..

Usually I would go M6 M42 M40 and A34/M3 but maybe there were some hold ups on these roads which meant Google pushed you further east.

Anyway irrelevant now and glad you got there prior to departure!

On 6/20/2017 at 1:56 PM, mattyv33 said:

I have bought an alternator off ebay, the guy said it fits all e39s from 97 to 03 but now I've paid he's not so sure as one website said it fits and one website doesn't - just wondering if anyone can confirm it will please?

The ebay number is 252981382617 - I have an 03 e39 525d and the reg is BG03UUF.. cheers 

try Realoem.com and see if it is listed for your car.  might just be different ampage in which case it will be fine. if its lower rating you might have bother when everything is running in the winter (heater rear screen, lights, fan, etc) but will keep you going.  if its higher rated then thats a bonus and will not do any harm

6 hours ago, Machinehead said:

try Realoem.com and see if it is listed for your car.  might just be different ampage in which case it will be fine. if its lower rating you might have bother when everything is running in the winter (heater rear screen, lights, fan, etc) but will keep you going.  if its higher rated then thats a bonus and will not do any harm

Thanks for the reply, I made a post in the E39 section which I updated yesterday - got the right alternator and the car is alive again :D

Machinehead likes this