Jump to content
Oily10

Yay or nay for these wheels

Recommended Posts

Looking at these wheels to replace the "I'll crack going over a shadow Spiders" on my 530i M Sport.I'm still in two minds about them, only reason I'm considering these is because,A.they're local ,B.the price and C.I'm sick of repairing these Spiders I'll consider anything!

Offets are ET20 rear and ET15 front

 

Yay or nay?

wheels.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 525-Jay said:

They're nice (Y)

 

Are your spiders genuine?

 

I presume they are Jay,how can you tell the difference between OEM and non OEM Spiders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, E39touring said:

The difference is that OEM spyders crack and aftermarket ones don't. 

 

Definately OEM then :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2017 at 10:57 PM, E39touring said:

The difference is that OEM spyders crack and aftermarket ones don't. 

 

On 16/06/2017 at 11:46 PM, Oily10 said:

 

Definately OEM then :lol:

 

What kind of potholes do you guys try to aim for to crack these wheels?! The roads around me are not the best and I have yet to crack any OEM BMW wheel, and I've had quite a few sets on my M3, from CSL OEMs to Replicas to 19 inch Diamond cut and now OEM powdercoated spyders on the E60 :/

 

And Oily you can have a look at the centre of the wheel it will have a BMW stamp. Definitely one around the back of it, if you are taking it off.

 

As for the wheels above, it's hard to tell bud. I personally think the lines of the E39 suit deep dish wheels a lot more than the E60. E60 is more of a concave wheel car imo as it looks quite "fat" and concave wheels such as the spyders for example compliment it very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2017 at 10:57 PM, E39touring said:

The difference is that OEM spyders crack and aftermarket ones don't. 

Totally untrue, mines arent cracked and they are OEM spyders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

Totally untrue, mines arent cracked and they are OEM spyders.

 

I speak from experience, had aftermarket spyders with no issues, got OEM ones and had cracks.  Not untrue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

 

 

What kind of potholes do you guys try to aim for to crack these wheels?! The roads around me are not the best and I have yet to crack any OEM BMW wheel, and I've had quite a few sets on my M3, from CSL OEMs to Replicas to 19 inch Diamond cut and now OEM powdercoated spyders on the E60 :/

 

And Oily you can have a look at the centre of the wheel it will have a BMW stamp. Definitely one around the back of it, if you are taking it off.

 

As for the wheels above, it's hard to tell bud. I personally think the lines of the E39 suit deep dish wheels a lot more than the E60. E60 is more of a concave wheel car imo as it looks quite "fat" and concave wheels such as the spyders for example compliment it very well.

 

Obviously not as deep as our potholes :lol:

You're spot on with regards to what suits the E60 iiNNeX but these are now on as I was sick of having to keep repairing the Spyders,keep pumping the tyres up etc. 

They'll do until I get something more suited or refurb the Spyders,who knows,once all shiney and new I get to like them again ^_^

wheels.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

Some misinformation and anecdotal experiences above!

 

Unbranded 'Replica' or 'Counterfeit' wheels are the lowest quality wheels you can purchase. They have zero research and development, use the cheapest materials for the wheel and finishing, made in low quality factories using the lowest grade of manufacture - gravity based casting. The objective of these kinds of wheels is to simply 'look like' the original design they're ripping off. There's no identifying features as to which factory makes them, no BMW part numbers etc. 'Some' factories that make these kinds of wheels do make 'better quality' ones but it's impossible to tell those from the lower quality ones. Due to these aspects, then the 'chances' of bending/cracking/buckling are higher with these kinds of wheels. 

 

OEM wheels are made using correct grade materials for manufacture and finishing, are tested throughout their manufacturing processes, are made in high quality factories that are fully inspected and tested in every department. Their inherent strength is much better than the low quality unbranded replica's and have been tested and certified to that extent. Chances of bends/cracks/buckled with this level of wheel quality is less. 

 

In the read world, some owners will get no cracks with replica's and will then therefore 'recommend' them. Some owners won't get any issues with OEM wheels. Some will get issues with Replica's and some will get issues with OEM wheels. 

 

I personally regard wheels as safety related items so a set of counterfeit's would never find their way onto any cars I own. Others' don't mind the risk and will put them on. 

 

Oily10 - which exact wheels are those? have a look on the back for a brand name etc. If there's no identifying name or part number etc, then it's likely they're low quality wheels that come from 'some factory, somewhere'. If they're temporary, then I'd suggest finding a set of good quality wheels for longer term use and then just sell these ones on to recoup some money.

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

 

I personally regard wheels as safety related items so a set of counterfeit's would never find their way onto any cars I own. Others' don't mind the risk and will put them on. 

 

 

Exactly my thoughts. Buying big powerful genuine cars and putting non-genuine replicas (of OEM products) on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

 

 

Oily10 - which exact wheels are those? have a look on the back for a brand name etc. If there's no identifying name or part number etc, then it's likely they're low quality wheels that come from 'some factory, somewhere'. If they're temporary, then I'd suggest finding a set of good quality wheels for longer term use and then just sell these ones on to recoup some money.

 

Cheers, Dennis!

The wheels I've put on are Dotz Mugello's Dennis,the Spyders were OEM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all down to the tyre IMHO. If your alloys are clad in run flats, one good pothole and not only will the tyre eat itself, you stand a bigger chance of cracking your alloys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×