Jeff Flynn

Servicing costs question

7 posts in this topic

Had my F11 from new for 18 months now. it's my first BMW and the dash is telling me it's due for its first service.

I called my local dealer to book it in, but they were very evasive about how much the first service would cost. They said they have to read the key to determine the exact service required. They were happy to tell me the cost of their Premium Gold Service (Fuel additive, Oil additive, Aircon decontaminant) but not the actual cost of the service itself.

Is this usual? I have no idea whether this 1st service is going to cost me £150 or £500.

Should i avoid them (Marshalls in Hook)

I'm biased but have never had a car serviced at a main dealer, it depends how much you value their service I suppose.

They are right regarding the service schedule, it's dependant on what the key tells them so they won't want to commit.

Nothing wrong in getting a quote from them when you call in and ringing round, they are no different to any other business and will quote against each other for business.

Was just quoted £343-£350-£360 from three local main dealers for a first service inc oil and pollen filters.

Yeah, BMW need to read the key to find out why it wants Doing.

My car indicated that it wanted an oil change and a vehicle check. So I booked it in and turned up, girl read the key and then said it needed pollen filters, spark plugs and air filter all changing too.

Thank goodness the original first owner paid for a service pack is it cost me nothing.

General rule is that pollen filters are every two years. Engine air filter and spark plugs every second oil change.

You can work out what it needs doing by looking at the service log so if you call up other places you should get an idea of what it will cost.

Just had my first service on the 535d, no key read, quoted over the phone £350 including pollen filters. I asked for discount and got 10% over the phone, so only paid £315 in the end.

i don't understand why a first service needs the key read?  Surely coming up to two years and 17k miles is a simple oil and filters change plus a vehicle check?

defo phone around as I was quoted £430 by another dealer doing exactly the same thing. 

BMW use MAHLE filters so the DIY "full" service costs for me were £105.03 after adding the BMWCLUB discount code. Even for a newbie the cost of tools + jack will still cost you less than a BMW dealer service, and youll keep the tools for the next service. i plan on changing oil every 8k, air/pollen filter every 16k and fuel filter every 32k (most pain in the ass to change).

I plan on keeping the car for a good 5 years so im fine with doing services myself and keeping receipts of whats been done.

Oil + Filter: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-162476-fuchs-titan-gt1-pro-flex-xtl-5w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-oil-and-filter-service-pack-6l-mahle-oil-filter-ox404d.aspx?vehicleid=12196&yearfilter=2014

Air Filter: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89790-mahle-lx3598-air-filter-genuine-part-bmw-5-7-series-20-30.aspx

Fuel Filter: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69166-mahle-fuel-filter-kl1694d-bmw-5-series-x5-was-kl1693d.aspx

Pollen (Cabin) Filters: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89210-mahle-carbon-activated-pollen-air-filter-cabin-filter-lak467s-lak-467s.aspx

Edited by IINexusII
sshooie likes this

The first service is just oil, oil filter and pollen filters. It will be under £300 but by how much varies by dealer. As a guide I only pay for the oil service and either buy the pollen filters off BMW unfitted (£60) or buy them from elsewhere and fit them myself just after i get it back. My oil service on a 530D has never been more than £205, the service is still fully recorded even though they don't fit the pollen filters.