Jeff Flynn

Servicing costs question

Had my F11 from new for 18 months now. it's my first BMW and the dash is telling me it's due for its first service.

I called my local dealer to book it in, but they were very evasive about how much the first service would cost. They said they have to read the key to determine the exact service required. They were happy to tell me the cost of their Premium Gold Service (Fuel additive, Oil additive, Aircon decontaminant) but not the actual cost of the service itself.

Is this usual? I have no idea whether this 1st service is going to cost me £150 or £500.

Should i avoid them (Marshalls in Hook)

I'm biased but have never had a car serviced at a main dealer, it depends how much you value their service I suppose.

They are right regarding the service schedule, it's dependant on what the key tells them so they won't want to commit.

Nothing wrong in getting a quote from them when you call in and ringing round, they are no different to any other business and will quote against each other for business.

Yeah, BMW need to read the key to find out why it wants Doing.

My car indicated that it wanted an oil change and a vehicle check. So I booked it in and turned up, girl read the key and then said it needed pollen filters, spark plugs and air filter all changing too.

Thank goodness the original first owner paid for a service pack is it cost me nothing.

General rule is that pollen filters are every two years. Engine air filter and spark plugs every second oil change.

You can work out what it needs doing by looking at the service log so if you call up other places you should get an idea of what it will cost.

Just had my first service on the 535d, no key read, quoted over the phone £350 including pollen filters. I asked for discount and got 10% over the phone, so only paid £315 in the end.

i don't understand why a first service needs the key read?  Surely coming up to two years and 17k miles is a simple oil and filters change plus a vehicle check?

defo phone around as I was quoted £430 by another dealer doing exactly the same thing. 

BMW use MAHLE filters so the DIY "full" service costs for me were £105.03 after adding the BMWCLUB discount code. Even for a newbie the cost of tools + jack will still cost you less than a BMW dealer service, and youll keep the tools for the next service. i plan on changing oil every 8k, air/pollen filter every 16k and fuel filter every 32k (most pain in the ass to change).

I plan on keeping the car for a good 5 years so im fine with doing services myself and keeping receipts of whats been done.

Oil + Filter: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-162476-fuchs-titan-gt1-pro-flex-xtl-5w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-oil-and-filter-service-pack-6l-mahle-oil-filter-ox404d.aspx?vehicleid=12196&yearfilter=2014

Air Filter: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89790-mahle-lx3598-air-filter-genuine-part-bmw-5-7-series-20-30.aspx

Fuel Filter: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69166-mahle-fuel-filter-kl1694d-bmw-5-series-x5-was-kl1693d.aspx

Pollen (Cabin) Filters: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89210-mahle-carbon-activated-pollen-air-filter-cabin-filter-lak467s-lak-467s.aspx

Edited by IINexusII

The first service is just oil, oil filter and pollen filters. It will be under £300 but by how much varies by dealer. As a guide I only pay for the oil service and either buy the pollen filters off BMW unfitted (£60) or buy them from elsewhere and fit them myself just after i get it back. My oil service on a 530D has never been more than £205, the service is still fully recorded even though they don't fit the pollen filters.

I am thinking of buying my 518d when it is three years old. First service was at 32,000 kms, a bit too long I think between services. The oil must have been like piss. Engine sounded a lot more muted with the new oil.

I hope after such a long first service interval, I haven't caused fhe engine extra wear. I am now thinking of giving the car an intermediate oil change at an independent garage. Will this be a problem if the car is under guarantee?

Not at all. Just make sure you use genuine BMW parts and the work is done to BMW specification then there can be no comeback. It will always do the car well to have an intermediate oil change and many people do it. I assume that 32,000 km took 24 months?

Just paid £347 for a first service which included oil,filter and pollen filter.The pollen microfilter was £97,oil filter £!7 and oil £80. The rest was labour inc a wash and valet. It also had the egr valve changed under a recall. They at least paid for a taxi to pick me up from home to collect the car!

bmw-service.co.uk will give you a price and also check if there's a service pack on the car. 

I would look at the value service and see if the dealer will price match the value service prices as the cars are fundamentally the same and it's just the age (oil hasn't changed and filters are pennies difference). 

My rule of thumb is £250 for oil & microfilter. £450 for oil, microfilter, air filter, spark plugs. £80 for vehicle check. £80 for brake fluid (every 2 years) and I always manage to get my services at somewhere round this price (often lower). I do need a service every 4-5 months though so my local dealer is now acustomed to what I'll be asking and give me their discounted price when I ask (must have a note on the system that I'm tight lol). I also use them for all consumables such as tyres and brakes so when they put my plate in the system, it must show my previous custom.

On 5 July 2017 at 10:42 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

Not at all. Just make sure you use genuine BMW parts and the work is done to BMW specification then there can be no comeback. It will always do the car well to have an intermediate oil change and many people do it. I assume that 32,000 km took 24 months?

No. 13 months for just over 32,000 kms.

The car is like an intergalactic cruiser. Brussels one week, then London, down to Paris, back to Brussels etc

I paid €407.00 at BMW Arras for oil/filter plus cabin filter. Apparently next service costs over €700.00!

Edited by Ram Rod

24 minutes ago, Ram Rod said:

No. 13 months for just over 32,000 kms.

The car is like an intergalactic cruiser. Brussels one week, then London, down to Paris, back to Brussels etc

I paid €407.00 at BMW Arras for oil/filter plus cabin filter. Apparently next service costs over €700.00!

Oh my, my 5000 miles a year pales into insignificance!

My last big service a couple of months ago was around €620. Oil, Air, Pollen, Fuel, Vehicle Check and the "Standard Scope"

10 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Oh my, my 5000 miles a year pales into insignificance!

You do much the same as me, you should think about a petrol then......:D 

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

I've had mine for 18 months and covered 50k

Which makes sense for driving a diesel.

Mine was one of the first F11 launch cars from 2010 (as was @sshooie's) and there were very few petrols available at the time if any. And the spec was just too good to pass up. As most of my F11 driving is longer distance, having a diesel and not paying the diesel new car premium worked out very well for me. 

I have had diesels for the past 20 years, as company cars being a field engineer I had no choice but even buying my own I have always prefered the old oil burners, from a 1.9 normally aspirated BX estate, through Mondeo's, Vectra's and Pugs I have always bought diesels.

I think that is why my dad bought his 530d. Years of company cars being powered by the fuel of Lucifer......but like Matthew it was in his "must have" spec.....sigh......

Yes I've been a bit blinded and always liked the torque of the diesel, I also towed a tourer for c5 years when the kids were younger so diesel was a no brainer. I would consider petrol now but still love a diesel.

My annual mileage has dropped to about 5k this year. Still looking at potential replacements for the ageing 530d (coming up to 7 years old this year). It still looks and drives like new even with over 120k on the clock.