Sign in to follow this  
BarryM

Remote locking stopped working

The remote locking just stopped working last week, first thought of course was the key battery but after charging both keys overnight by leaving in the car in position 1 I've discounted the batteries. Fuses seem fine too.

Everything works perfectly with key in the door including windows & sunroof opening & closing. Boot opens from the button under the steering column but will only open with the key from the back and won't open by the switch by the number plate even if the car is unlocked (which is the one thing that seems odd).

I've read the fuel filler lock can have a bearing on the central locking but mine's never worked so that can't be it either!

I've tried re-syncing the keys by putting key in ignition, removing & the 3 button presses to no avail.

I've plugged in INPA & DIS but not 100% sure what I'm looking for and nothing obvious is showing up.

I'm thinking the radio receiver might be faulty which I think is in one of the rear C pillars but if anyone's got any experience or better ideas I'm all ears.

The car's trying my patience as the blower fan has stopped working too :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you checked the fuses associated with the central locking and solenoids?  I think they're by the battery. If one has gone and you replace it and it blows again it's likely the failed fuel filler solenoid or boot switch is shorting out. 

Edited by Oneball

There are 3 fuses in the glovebox & 1 above the battery, all tested with a multimeter and working fine.

When the boot lid handle micro switch failed on my e46 it affected the central locking in a similar way but it also blew a fuse at the same time. Not sure if that's helpful info or not. 

When the boot lid handle micro switch failed on my e46 it affected the central locking in a similar way but it also blew a fuse at the same time. Not sure if that's helpful info or not. 

Ok, that's something for me to look into

Just pulled the rubber boot that channels the boot lid wiring into the area above the battery and a couple have broken so hoping that's the problem. Not much space to patch it up.

Another classic E39 problem!

13 hours ago, BarryM said:

The remote locking just stopped working last week, first thought of course was the key battery but after charging both keys overnight by leaving in the car in position 1 I've discounted the batteries. Fuses seem fine too.

Everything works perfectly with key in the door including windows & sunroof opening & closing. Boot opens from the button under the steering column but will only open with the key from the back and won't open by the switch by the number plate even if the car is unlocked (which is the one thing that seems odd).

I've read the fuel filler lock can have a bearing on the central locking but mine's never worked so that can't be it either!

I've tried re-syncing the keys by putting key in ignition, removing & the 3 button presses to no avail.

I've plugged in INPA & DIS but not 100% sure what I'm looking for and nothing obvious is showing up.

I'm thinking the radio receiver might be faulty which I think is in one of the rear C pillars but if anyone's got any experience or better ideas I'm all ears.

The car's trying my patience as the blower fan has stopped working too :(

You are having a tough time at moment Barry, what with guide repairs and the dreaded E39 electrics showing their age.

If really stuck let me know, have excellent E39 ellecy who has sorted out my Alpina problems in the past.

regards

k

OK, so 3 wires broken and 2 on their way and it looks like 2 wires have been repaired before I got the car:

593bd9d6316c9_2017-06-1014_58_04.jpg.e017dddda5973f41082590fc9328c789.jpg

I've done a temp fix just to see if it sorts the problem and although the boot microswitch is now working the remote is still not working.

I'll look at replacing all the wires here in the near future but want to get the remote working first so will take this as a small win.

Good news, re-checked the fuses and no. 53 must have shorted when I first pulled back the rubber boot with the 13 wires in (before I disconnected the battery). After re-checking and replacing 53 the remote works again .

Thanks to Oneball for putting me on the right track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk