Jameswsb

E39 16x9 Monitor Dead

Guys, the screen on my 2000 e39 has completely died. No sound or display whatsoever and no response from the buttons. Tried disconnecting the battery and leaving for 15 minutes then reattach, which did not work and all the relevant fuses are fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The older OEM modules are failing more often now and over the last few years. The setup you have is modular, and given the likelihood of a previous owner (or youself) changing some of the oem modules or adding/modifying them, you need to check and confirm which exact modules you have. For instance, the popular upgrade to the Mk4 DVD based GPS computer many owners do, the unit can 'drive' the monitor directly, and thus, the internal 'controller' as it were could be part of the reason of the issues. As your sound has also gone, it could be an issue with the amplifier module as well. The actual TFT panel itself might've failed and it's co-incidental with the amplifier module going kaput and the Mk4 GPS computer is actually still fully functional. If you have the Mk3 or older units, they had a separate video module I believe and that's another unit you'll need to evaluate. 

You'll need to then find working modules of the same as you have to 'swap' and test. You'll then be able to determine which module(s) are faulty and evaluate how/if you wish to resolve/repair. If you find it is the monitor itself and the TFT panel is kaput, then replacement panels are around the £90 level and the swap over is quite tedious and fiddly. If you opt for another used working unit, you have to ensure it's from an E39 as the internal viewing angle is specific. On ebay, you'll see monitors listed for the E39/E38/E53 - if you end up with an E38 or E53 unit, the viewing angle will be incorrect and the screen will look funny from the drivers seat.

Keeping  the OEM modules functional is the most expensive route to go when it comes to the audio for the E39 in comparison to other routes. It's the most popular one for sure as many owners *must* have oem only modules. The recommended repairer is Baris at Carphonics. Whilst your faulty modules are in, you might as well also do the upgrades he offers to improve the modules too - get ready for your wallet to be bashed a bit :)

Good luck with your fault finding - at least it's summertime !

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks for the detailed reply Dennis. The car has the MK4 DVD Nav. Luckily I have access to another E39 so I will swap the modules over this weekend and report back. 

So it turns out that it was a fuse issue. I just had a quick look at the fuses in the glovebox and didnt realise there were more in the boot. Only problem is that once the fuse was replaced it blew again immediately. I guess this suggests a wiring fault? might just get an auto-electrician to have a look at this as I cant see anything obviously wrong.

Hi,

It 'could' be a short within one of the modules that's causing the fuse to blow like that. I'd suggest swapping modules first and retrying before calling in an auto electrician. Reason is that they'll charge per hour and test each wire for continuity once identified which potentially could take a 'few' hours. Now I've said that, if you do call one in it'll be found within half an hour!

Cheers, Dennis!