aa86

E61 tailgate boot wiring

Just bought a lci 520d e61

when viewing it I did notice the tailgate glass part did not open and also had errors for rear reverse lights and rear fogs

anywat bought the car as it had a lot of work done and a lot of history. 

So so what I need to fix is 

- split tailgate don't open

- rear reverse light failure 

- rear fog lights failure

- PDC failure 

I take it all are related to the tailgate loom being damaged? Will the pdc also be due to that. 

Thanks 

Don't believe the PDC is on the same loom, 90% sure its not. Basically, all wiring to anything on the boot can be damaged, if its the lights on the D pillar then they are separate so the DPC will be as well

PDC doesn't go through the tailgate wiring.  

First thing to check is if a single sensor is out.  Turn on the PDC via button within the car then listen to each sensor.  The one that does not click is not working and will need to be replaced.

If none of them are making any noise checkout this guide:  

Just time, a soldering iron and probably some more wire, heatshrink and some more loom tape.

It took me about 2 hours to do both sides having never done it before but I do a lot of spanner work.

the guides Medved linked should explain everything but the short version, remove the spoiler and disconnect all the cables, remove the rear roof speakers and pull the wires through, then repair and refit. Since you also cant oped the tailgate the spoiler removal will take longer as you'll need to get the glass open first (the last link)

TIP: make sure you don't short out the cables when your repairing or you'll blow fuses or worse. maybe disconnect the battery first.

Tagging in here as I am about to buy one with a non opening glass and no fobs working.

Edited by GoNz0

So add extra 6 inches to exhausting loom. Will that prevent it breaking again?

my left fog works, boot opens, right fog don’t work, heater, wiper and wiper don’t work does that mean only one side look broken?

Was about to link to my guide to fix the wiring but I see it's already on the list above. :-D

Not a hard job, just fiddly. To add to my guide (2nd on that list) it's much easier using the solder butt connectors if you use a heat gun on them. 

6 minutes ago, aa86 said:

So add extra 6 inches to exhausting loom. Will that prevent it breaking again?

my left fog works, boot opens, right fog don’t work, heater, wiper and wiper don’t work does that mean only one side look broken?

Sounds like you'll have at least 2 faulty. The fogs are fed off a different loom than the heater/wiper. 

Extra length will give 'play' and avoid stretch which is why they break in the first place. You can always tuck the extra length in the roof area. Silicon sleeved cables are thicker than standard pvc. I have replaced with silicon sleeved; 4 years are no issues to date and they were previously repaired 'professionally'.

I don't think stretch is the issue. It's the constant bending of the wires when the boot is opened/closed, coupled with the oem wires not being very flexible. Eventually the insulation breaks and the wires start to to short out against each other. 

That stuff linked above, is it class 6 flexible cable, the trirated stuff used in car looms will be class 5 hence the issues.

The silicon sheath will be more prone to damage so I am struggling to find a benefit as it is only really different in temperature resistance but more likely to get damaged.

Had a chat with my brother in law earlier who is a sparky and he said the same, get class 6 in trirated to repair it and not to use silicon.

Edited by GoNz0