Medved77

Wheel Refurbishment Recommendations - Scotland

I have 4 very tatty MV2's in need of refurbishment. They're bad all over so need someone who will do the face, rims, insides etc.

Looking for recommendations in Scotland (between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee) to refurbish these if anyone can help?

Ideas of price? Recommendations for method (powder coating/diamond cutting/other)?

Needs to be a service that I can take the car to, that'll be able to remove the wheels and tyres and ideally same day.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you want the rims and inside doing, you want it powder coated. MV2s don't have a surface that you would want/need diamond cutting. Painting is only really for the outside face.

I got my 19" 351 rims powder coated as you can see right into the inside of the barrel due to the wide spacing between spokes and you could also see the dirt stuck under the coat of lacquer that BMW put on the car via AUC prep.

The guy that did mine in Paisley has shut up shop now. I paid £65 exc vat and before tyre fitting costs for powder coating. But that was for 19", 18" are/should be cheaper.

Make sure who ever you use has a lever less tyre machine. That way they tyre is replaced without anything touching and therefore to risk damaging your shiny newly powder coated rims.

I got my spiders done at Wheel Wizards in Hamilton, colin Durham and his son run the place they are also BMW car club members.

Same day service in hyper silver £260 

They take the wheels off, remove the tyres, dip the wheels and strip them then i got them painted, dropped the car off at 8:30am got it back 5pm job done. 

14732171_10153815336256993_7398220573429

3 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

I had mine done at Extreme Powder coating in Dalgety Bay.....guys name is Lee...the finish was immense 

he is on Facebook 

Thanks!  Just called Lee, price is good at £240 and is local to me.  Only problem is he's on holiday for a month so would need to wait until mid-July.  Probably not a problem but will check out Grizzles recommendation in Hamilton too.

1 hour ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

I got my spiders done at Wheel Wizards in Hamilton, colin Durham and his son run the place they are also BMW car club members.

Same day service in hyper silver £260 

They take the wheels off, remove the tyres, dip the wheels and strip them then i got them painted, dropped the car off at 8:30am got it back 5pm job done. 

14732171_10153815336256993_7398220573429

Thanks Grizzle, do you know if they do powder coating too?

Decided to go with Wheel Wizards in Hamilton. My friend is getting married on July 1st and would like to use my cars in his entourage so would be good to have the wheels done by then. Unfortunately the other recommendation won't be free until Mid July.

Cool, Colin is a great guy did you mention my self?? 

Need to call back tomorrow to confirm the date. Will say you recommended them, thanks for the tip.

10 hours ago, Medved77 said:

Need to call back tomorrow to confirm the date. Will say you recommended them, thanks for the tip.

I'll mention to him he might....i use that term loosely lol might give a discount. 

14 minutes ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

I'll mention to him he might....i use that term loosely lol might give a discount. 

I have 4off MV'2s I would like to do, Grizzle-E60 you reckon it can be cheaper if we mention your name than £260? Especially that my wheels are off the car at the moment (winters), if they do a good price/job I will get them another set of MV 2's (summer wheels). What do you think?

Cheers

Vlady

Cheers, will he know you as Grizzle?

I think the price is fair, I've been quoted £440 by a couple of places in Edinburgh.

Can't wait to get them done. Need to now source some centre caps, m stickers, 15mm spacers and new wheel bolts to complete the look.

Shame you are so far away. Here are mine done by BJV Engineering. Powdercoated in Black chrome and wrapped in fresh MPS4S' :)

All done in a week turnaround picked up and delivered to my house - £250 incl vat and fitting/balancing.

QhLMuL1l.jpg

2toYBMMl.jpg

wgK6Zg0l.jpg

vg3JCF3l.png

Shame you are so far away. Here are mine done by BJV Engineering. Powdercoated in Black chrome and wrapped in fresh MPS4S'

All done in a week turnaround picked up and delivered to my house - £250 incl vat and fitting/balancing.

QhLMuL1l.jpg&key=de6cb39e8812721ac4679d536ea48bdd49bed7e286c68edef6a90f4724d6983a

2toYBMMl.jpg&key=061ea773d65f74fa0ae953777b4782bcea019cbed2a2680c98188e17f9a203f3

wgK6Zg0l.jpg&key=e301b644802917617b550a5995e30dfaaec78b81181f0e04343f028deee5091b

vg3JCF3l.png&key=c359f56a0192c48aa7d0f1482a2b5a6773c1a16aff3b13122510ae263b2fb6ed

They're lovely. I think I'm going to keep the original colour on the wheels but would like to see what the shadow chrome looks like against a silver car.

Now bought new centre caps, m stickers, spacers for rear including bolts and standard bolts for the front. Didn't want to refurb the wheels and leave the rusty bolts and worn centre caps in place.

Where did you go for your centre caps and ///M stickers?

I bought very not genuine centre caps from eBay and after 6 months on my winters they didn't look very fresh. Showing signs of water ingress and damage.

1 hour ago, 535iAR said:

I bought very not genuine centre caps from eBay and after 6 months on my winters they didn't look very fresh. Showing signs of water ingress and damage.

I bought these centre caps which seem to be decent quality however time will tell:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172650065035

The same ones have been on my friends car for around 3 months and still look like new.  From what I can see there are 2 types of non-genuine caps, those with a metal look rim and those with a beige plastic rim.  I had the latter and the colours faded fast.  For £8.50 for 4 I don't mind replacing them once a year if required however they look OEM quality.

Stickers not arrived yet but here's the link:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191983795464

Think we bought the same ones!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks @Medved77, I got genuine ///M stickers for my alloys but there was a debate about as you say, for that price you can almost afford to replace the centre caps yearly.

Lol @Lennox I recall we were both after a set at the same time.

Moral of the story, you gets what you pay for!

Not that I'm complaining for £7. Besides, I've yet to clean up the ones I took off my winters so they might not be that bad.....

5 hours ago, Medved77 said:

They're lovely. I think I'm going to keep the original colour on the wheels but would like to see what the shadow chrome looks like against a silver car.

Now bought new centre caps, m stickers, spacers for rear including bolts and standard bolts for the front. Didn't want to refurb the wheels and leave the rusty bolts and worn centre caps in place.

Here they are on mine. They look a lot brighter/silvery when exposed to sunlight. It's the amazing thing about shadow chrome.

5cC2qZ1h.jpg

vAvw2Ouh.jpg

3 hours ago, 535iAR said:

BMW for both mate. Cotswold on here, delivered in 2 days and great price. I've tried the ebay stuff before and suffered, no more!

Personally not fan of the shadow chrome they just looks dirty all the time but it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

How are you finding the tyres?? i've just ordered two for the rear. 

You can go very wrong very easily with wheels but those spiders in that colour on your car are the mutts nuts!

Glad to see a decent make of rubber wrapped around the rim too.

I likey!

8 minutes ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

Personally not fan of the shadow chrome they just looks dirty all the time but it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Yeah but after a few applications of the brakes the standard colour of rims soon goes to that colour he's gone for.

I do know what you mean though as I asked for same colour as existing when I got my rims powder coated but they came back a slightly bit darker. Once on the car they were fine and after a dusting of brake dust ye cannae tell.

All depends on the light mate, so hard to capture their true colour. Heres another

d20147a94c6a393e1ac15996e7b0a3c1.jpg