G30B57

Variable Dampers

Could someone with variable dampers on their G30 try this experiment:

1. Programme 'Sport Individual' damping setting to 'Comfort'

2. Drive along a fairly bumpy stretch of road (shouldn't be too hard to find one)

3. Alternate between 'Sport' and 'Comfort' mode

Am I imagining it or is the comfort damper setting stiffer in Sport than it is in Comfort? 

Mine is an estate and so has the air springs at the back, but my sport setting stops the rebound quicker than the comfort or adaptive mode but not by much.  I would like to think the sport setting stiffens it up for corners as opposed to straights.  I will play a bit more.

Hi all - first post here.

I've just bought a G30 520d, with variable dampers.  I was only able to test drive an M-Sport version without VDC, so my comparisons are limited, but: it feels to me that the "Comfort" and "Sport" settings are very similar in terms of the suspension.  That is to say, as I drive round the pot-hole strewn roads of Buckinghamshire, I'd have expected a more dampened, softer suspension feel when Comfort is selected (either the mode itself, or Comfort selected on the Individual set-up), but I'm not even sure I can discern the difference.

I am aware that in the F10 the VDC offered more differentiation ("comfort +" to "sport +").

I'd be interested in others' views on this please - the car drives fantastically, I love it - but this sole point is playing on my mind.  Should the difference be more noticeable?  (NB I definitely have the Variable Dampers - a check on the VIN, damper option on the menus, and "adaptive" option on the switch, both confirm this).

Many thanks in advance.

On 11/25/2017 at 7:06 PM, James H said:

Hi all - first post here.

I've just bought a G30 520d, with variable dampers.  I was only able to test drive an M-Sport version without VDC, so my comparisons are limited, but: it feels to me that the "Comfort" and "Sport" settings are very similar in terms of the suspension.  That is to say, as I drive round the pot-hole strewn roads of Buckinghamshire, I'd have expected a more dampened, softer suspension feel when Comfort is selected (either the mode itself, or Comfort selected on the Individual set-up), but I'm not even sure I can discern the difference.

I am aware that in the F10 the VDC offered more differentiation ("comfort +" to "sport +").

I'd be interested in others' views on this please - the car drives fantastically, I love it - but this sole point is playing on my mind.  Should the difference be more noticeable?  (NB I definitely have the Variable Dampers - a check on the VIN, damper option on the menus, and "adaptive" option on the switch, both confirm this).

Many thanks in advance.

I can't comment on the G30 VDC as I opted for passive M Sport suspension this time, but my F10 had VDC and there was definitely a noticeable difference between comfort + and Sport/Sport+.

There was no change in damping between sport and sport+. The difference between sport and sport+ was the engine and gearbox settings.

Does the G30 not have a comfort+ setting, with a softer ride over standard comfort?

Edited by mobilejo

As carrman says, the G30 offers only "Comfort" or "Sport" settings for the dampers.  Anyone else experienced these, and could confirm that they are very similar / or should be noticeably different?

A few Americans on other forums have commented that there is little difference between comfort and sport on the G30, so it doesn't sound like this is a 'fault', it would appear that it is by design.

I recall many people said the same of the F10 actually, but I could definitely feel the difference on that car personally.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, G30B57 said:

Could someone with variable dampers on their G30 try this experiment:

1. Programme 'Sport Individual' damping setting to 'Comfort'

2. Drive along a fairly bumpy stretch of road (shouldn't be too hard to find one)

3. Alternate between 'Sport' and 'Comfort' mode

Am I imagining it or is the comfort damper setting stiffer in Sport than it is in Comfort? 

What size of wheels do you have? I have ordered a new 520d SE with EDC on standard 17'' rims with non-runflat tyres as I'm looking for maximum absorption. Are you saying that the ride in your car is not too great?

22 hours ago, James H said:

As carrman says, the G30 offers only "Comfort" or "Sport" settings for the dampers.  Anyone else experienced these, and could confirm that they are very similar / or should be noticeably different?

What size of wheels do you have? I have ordered a new 520d SE with EDC on standard 17'' rims with non-runflat tyres as I'm looking for maximum absorption. Are you saying that the ride in your car is not too great?

Chuckyarla, I have the same spec as you (520D SE, EDC, 17" non-runflats).  To be honest I'm perfectly happy with the ride - I'd categorise it as quite firm, you can feel the bumps etc in the road, but they are effectively smoothed and dampened so that even though they are there, they aren't irritating at all.  It's just that the suspension, whilst good, feels the same for both Comfort and Sport damper modes.

Mobilejo, thanks for your post - that's reassuring, assures me that there's nothing malfunctioning there.

Johnyboy, I look forward to your report!

Edited by James H
Added extra paragraph

2 hours ago, James H said:

Chuckyarla, I have the same spec as you (520D SE, EDC, 17" non-runflats).  To be honest I'm perfectly happy with the ride - I'd categorise it as quite firm, you can feel the bumps etc in the road, but they are effectively smoothed and dampened so that even though they are there, they aren't irritating at all.  It's just that the suspension, whilst good, feels the same for both Comfort and Sport damper modes.

Mobilejo, thanks for your post - that's reassuring, assures me that there's nothing malfunctioning there.

Johnyboy, I look forward to your report!

Thank you for your reply. I currently have a G30 520d SE with 17'' non-runflats and no EDC. I find the ride to be pretty good - quiet and pretty absorbent on all but the roughest stuff. However, for the new car I thought I'd give the EDC a go as all the reviews said it was a must. I'm wondering now if I'm wasting my money. I'm not bothered by the lack of difference in the various mode as it will always be in comfort. I just want to be sure that the 'comfort' mode is indeed comfortable! How do you find the body roll and suspension noise?

Edited by Chuckyarla

Chuckyarla, I can't hear any suspension noise.  Body roll seems well managed, as far as I'd be able to tell - I'm quite a slow-and-steady driver to be honest, so I've not yet chucked it round corners etc.

I'd be interested in your comparison between EDC and non-EDC.  Like you I read the reviews stating it's a must: I can only assume that the overall ride quality is improved by the EDC vs the SE standard suspension, even if the 'sports vs comfort' aspect is negligible.

I'll be interested in that comparison myself! The non-EDC suspension is pretty good as it is. But I do travel on some fairly rough surfaces and according to the reviews EDC provides a superb ride. I hope they're right and I haven't wasted nearly €1,500 on a suspension system that's no better than standard.

I've been test-driving a few different spec of G30s over the last week or so.

EDC is definitely a better ride than non-EDC (SE vs SE), but it's marginal. Both cars were on 19s, I have yet to drive a car with 18s (most demo cars have been upgraded to 19s if they are not stock for the spec).

What I did learn was that the EDC is different to older types in that unlike old EDC or similar in other cars, in the stock setting it constantly adapts to the road and driving style. So if you drive around in an aggressive manner it will switch to Sport, so pressing the Sport button will therefore change nothing. The same applies to Comfort, it will stay in comfort for gentle drives, hence pressing Comfort achieves nothing in that situation.

Where you would notice it would by locking into one mode and then driving in the opposite way eg driving slowly, but locking it into Sport etc.

What I also found though irrespective is that all tyres and suspension combinations had a 'patter' on rippled roads and I believe this is due to the Runflat tyres, which have very hard sidewalls, whatever the profile. My wifes last 3 series SE was hard even on 16s, until I switched to non-runflat. 

The problem with the G30 is that a spare tyre is not realistic option since it reduces the boot size dramatically, so you're left relying on foam for a small puncture or being recovered if you get a big puncture.

Edited by GAR