iiNNeX

E60 535d - Gearbox Service (6HP26)

I've been calling up a few of the more popular places around me for some quotes on gearbox service and how long it takes to do, what the process is and what parts they use so I thought I'd save some of you the time and hassle and post my results. If anyone has anything to add to those, another reputable place or more info just feel free to comment and I ll update the OP.

Autotrans Gloucester = £309 + VAT. 

- They confirmed that a full drain is being done on the vehicle, hence why it needs to stay there for the day (or at least from 10am till closure).

- That includes steel pan, filter, oil  plus new guide sleeve, (around the electrical cable entry).

Suffolk Auto Transmissions = £280 + VAT 

- I was informed that they cannot extract all of the oil from the box but about 90% of it. The vehicle only needs to be there for 1-2 hours max.

- Did not ask about steel pan but they do use original zf parts.

Bristol Transmissions - £270 + VAT 

- Also confirmed that they can do a full flush and the car is required for the day.

- That includes steel pan, filter, oil  plus new guide sleeve, (around the electrical cable entry).

Essex Automatic Transmissions - £220 + VAT 

- Full flush, car for the day.

- They have autologic diagnostic system! They offered to read and update the gearbox and ecu to the latest for £90 + VAT

- Includes ZF original kit, can expand to steel upgrade if needed for a bit extra or if supplied.

Thanks, hope this helps people looking to take the plunge. I will most likely be booking my car for this next month.

Edited by iiNNeX

Does anybody know a place that has Autologic or BMW Diagnostics so I can have the gearbox software updated too at the same time?

Edit: Found one, updated OP.

Edited by iiNNeX

Last E60 I paid £400 for a full flush, new pan/filter, new oil and new electrical connector sleeve inc VAT.  This was after mine went into limp mode at 91,000 miles having had it serviced before at 48,000 miles.

Two weeks later I'm on the hard shoulder on the M74 with no drive and big warnings on the iDrive screen relating to Autobox fault.

Two weeks later I'm in the F10.

22 hours ago, 535iAR said:

Last E60 I paid £400 for a full flush, new pan/filter, new oil and new electrical connector sleeve inc VAT.  This was after mine went into limp mode at 91,000 miles having had it serviced before at 48,000 miles.

Two weeks later I'm on the hard shoulder on the M74 with no drive and big warnings on the iDrive screen relating to Autobox fault.

Two weeks later I'm in the F10.

That sounds a bit expensive for a full flush mate, where was that at? I don't think the oil change itself caused your failure, the fact that it was in limp mode before is a good indication that something else was wrong to begin with. 

I like your way of fixing things though, just upgrade to the newer model :D. But yeah if a gearbox is doomed to fail due to one fault or another, changing the oil and pan will not make any difference to that outcome unless it is directly related. Also BMW quoting lifetime on it is complete bollocks, can't believe people fall for that. 

21 hours ago, jake13 said:

Thanks for that bud, quite informative. Just not sure how it helps me locate a place to do the service at as Sonnax are in teh US? :D

Yeah I thought it was a bit pricey but they are near me and with a broken transmission I didn't want to travel far. They quoted for a recon box at the higher end of what I've seen others get quotes for.

The E60 had a few other faults and I would have paid the £3k to fix it but as the wife pointed out, that I could put £3k towards a newer car. And following a quick look on AUC, there was a petrol F10 with a towbar. Two boxes ticked. Time to move on to newer things.....after shedding a few tears.

4 hours ago, 535iAR said:

Yeah I thought it was a bit pricey but they are near me and with a broken transmission I didn't want to travel far. They quoted for a recon box at the higher end of what I've seen others get quotes for.

The E60 had a few other faults and I would have paid the £3k to fix it but as the wife pointed out, that I could put £3k towards a newer car. And following a quick look on AUC, there was a petrol F10 with a towbar. Two boxes ticked. Time to move on to newer things.....after shedding a few tears.

I've been put right off Mackies with your hassles, but i'm needing it done asap?

I wouldn't say Mackie's gave me hassles. Here is my timeline.

It faulted on 31/12/15, but I still had drive, dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all sorts of warnings, limp it to a Tesco car park. Switch off and back on and I could get home with a slightly clunky gearbox. Given the time of year I waited a bit to then take it to Mackie's on 18/01/16. They could not find any fault codes relating to autobox. I saw the print out of the codes. Pays my money.

MOT on 02/02/16. Sails thru easy pass.

Transmission faults again on 04/02/16 this time I lost drive completely whilst overtaking on the M74 dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Switch off an switch back on whilst on hard shoulder, turn around an drive straight to Mackie's. They then find fault code relating to failed Eclutch again I saw the fault code print out, quote for recon box as the cure = trade in value of car.

Tears shed.

Buy F10 on 06/02/16.

Collect F10 a week later.

Tears shed.

E60 goes to WBAC a day later.

Tears shed.

Mackies are an approved ZF agent. Were you a the BMWCC meet we had there?

Just about to get my autobox done with my guys at the garage. It seems everyone in there dugg are going to these Bristols for the service and the trade guys too. But also trade asking for the kit to be sent but with no real discounts......Can anyone tell me different...

I'm sure i read you shouldn't pressure flush these boxes, it's case of draining it, refilling it and repeat. Not many ways you can ensure you empty the T.C. without removing it.

20 minutes ago, Blobby said:

I'm sure i read you shouldn't pressure flush these boxes, it's case of draining it, refilling it and repeat. Not many ways you can ensure you empty the T.C. without removing it.

As long as it is flushed at a lower pressure than its operating pressure you shouldn't cause any issue I would have thought.

I'm not sure that a complete flush is even necessary. If you drain and replace 90% that is a very decent refresh and lower risk ?

I had mine done 4 years ago by Stephens Engineering but I'm not sure exactly what procedure they used.

Edited by Tuvoc

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

As long as it is flushed at a lower pressure than its operating pressure you shouldn't cause any issue I would have thought.

Apparently flushing especially back flushing can cause small particles to block the solenoid valves and some of the oil runways

20 minutes ago, JasonH said:

If you drop the sump only around 6 litres come out. Around 3 litres stay in the torque converter.

That's the problem. The only way to truly change it is to drop the box and empty the TC