amebb

Connecting MP3 or ipod to cd changer loom ?

Hi there

I need some advice.

Is there anyway that i can connect my iPod or MP3 player to my Bmw e39 525i....?

What i would like ideally is to be able to connect my Ipod / MP3 player to the audio system from the rear of the car, where the CD interchanger sits.

Can those leads be used - with adaptors etc to connect external audio devices ?

Thank you

Hi,

Which oem audio setup do you have in the car? If you have the basic radio/cassette then the Intravee 2 and KCA-420i iPod adaptor won't connect to it. I know the Monitor/GPS oem setup can have the Intravee connected up but I'm not sure if the 'middle' oem audio options - MID/Cassette or CD are potentially compatible.

If you do have the GPS/Monitor system, then get those items mentioned above and you can use a longer Ai-Net lead and connect the iPod at the back of the car if you like and it's controllable from the oem buttons. 

If you have the basic radio cassette, then there's nothing that connects to that to use an ipod and use the oem buttons - its too basic. Look in the Intravee section on this forum for everything to know about it. 

Some owners want to make an Aux in connection, the issue there is there's no control of the ipod and penalties have recently increased to £200 and 6 points on your licence if you are caught holding and controlling a device. 

Alternatives are fitting a Parrot/Bury hands free mobile phone interface which has the capability of controlling an iPod. Also look at oem type interfaces from GROM, Dice, Dension and mObridge which can control iPods and some have Bluetooth audio streaming and SD card music files playback. Again, you'll need to see which of the oem audio systems are in your car and work with any of these potential solutions.

If you have an aftermarket head unit, then many have direct iPod control and playback so no need to purchase anything extra and fit it. 

Cheers, Dennis!

On 5/25/2017 at 6:26 PM, DennisCooper said:

Which oem audio setup do you have in the car? If you have the basic radio/cassette then the Intravee 2 and KCA-420i iPod adaptor won't connect to it. I know the Monitor/GPS oem setup can have the Intravee connected up but I'm not sure if the 'middle' oem audio options - MID/Cassette or CD are potentially compatible.

The only E39 HU that's not compatible with text display, which is required for Intravee operation, is the 'Integrated' Business unit, the top and bottom are all one piece.  Looks like this.

E39_Business_Tape.jpg.9890482dfe258d2f8acfcf43b414211e.jpg

There is a very similar Business radio called an IRIS, which has two physical parts, that does work. Looks like this (the top part can be a little different):

E39_Business_Tape_Fader.jpg.3693dc63008c5a246bc32a27b74fdc3a.jpg