Kems

535i Real MPG

Hi Guys

Can anyone who owns a 535i tell me what the real MPG is around town and on a run?

Thanks

Mark

I do short journeys in mine with the occasional Mway sprint.  I'm looking at 28 mpg on mine at the moment inthis tanks worth which included towing 500 kg for 40 miles last week.  I have seen it as low as 24. something during short trips in the middle of winter.  A long Motorway run will see it hit high 30's, 37 mpg IIRC is the highest average I've ever had but that was normal driving at normal motorway speed and not trying to be economical.

I think my average since buying it 15 months ago is 26-27mpg.  Which is better than my last E60.  If I drove my last E60 like a saint between 55 and 60 mpg, I saw 36.6 mpg once.

Mpg is not a factor I consider when buying or driving my cars. 

I have an F11 and get around 24mpg in town driving (hilly area) and 34 to 36 on motorway journeys (probably higher if I drove like a nun).

Better mpg than my 525i E61.

Plus petrol is usually a bit cheaper than diesel.

18 hours ago, 535iAR said:

I think my average since buying it 15 months ago is 26-27mpg.  

Its not, I was talking rubbish it is actually 29.1mpg in the 5999 miles since I rest the journey computer. The average on my dash trip is 28.6mpg. I must have done more averages above 30mpg than I thought then. Surprised at that!

Bottom line is that it is most economical BMW I've owned.

Mine is a 528i - so normally aspirated but still a straight six, 3 L.

Around town, driving like a nun and turning the engine off at known long red traffic lights, I get 25 mpg if I'm lucky.

Motorway cruising at speeds that keep me ahead of the traffic but not likely to interest the plod is low 30s.

The only time I ever got near the book value was a motorway trip downhill (M58 from the M6 to Liverpool) with a hot engine, cruise control at 50 mph and  in 6th the whole way. (Manual so only goes up to 6).

But this is a beemer with a big engine - big fuel bills go with the territory and it's way better than the AJV6 Jag XF I had that returned 17 mpg in town.

Thanks for the replies. Makes interesting reading. I've had 2 x 535d's and was thinking of looking at 535i for when I change. MPG isn't a hang up for me, but it's good to know the facts. I'll definitely look at 535i's as well as 535d's for my next one.

Thanks again.

Absolutely! It took months to find both of my 535d's with the spec I wanted. But something's are worth waiting for :D

8 hours ago, Kems said:

Absolutely! It took months to find both of my 535d's with the spec I wanted. 

I didn't have that luxury, the E clutch went in the autobox of my E60 on the Thursday and I found my F10 via BMW AUC on the Friday and bought it over the phone on the Saturday.  The only criteria was Petrol, so the winter tyres, split folding rear seats and 3AC towbar were all a brucey bonus to me.

Filled mine up tonight. I reset the mpg from 28.2 mpg. That was running on ordinary unleaded rather than super unleaded. I get a bit more mpg on super but don't notice any performance improvement.

Drove home having a bit of fun as the engine was fully warmed up, overtook a dithering Peugeot and still returned 29.5 mpg. I had only driven 5 miles since resetting though....

On 28/05/2017 at 7:51 AM, 535iAR said:

535ds are rare, 535i are even rarer

Mine is registered as a 535i M Sport Turbo Auto, one of 40 on the road.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_535i_m_sport_turbo_auto

On 28/05/2017 at 7:51 AM, 535iAR said:

I've just checked and there is circa 900 registered and taxed 535i f10 on the road today and hundreds under sorn. For some reason this model of engine is shown over 4 headings. Still rare compared to 520d and probably rarer than m5's but not 40 rare.

I live in London and get 24mpg around town, all short journeys 2-5 miles. I reset the computer 2 weeks ago and have since been on 3 long journeys totalling 700 miles, mainly motorway and A roads, the computer reads 33.6 mpg. I'm not that conservative when chugging along, I'm sure I could reach 40mpg if I stuck to 60mpg on the mortorway.

But, I think the OP is talking about F07 GT. You cannot compare them to the F10/F11, there is 300kg difference and a 535i GT would be far worse on fuel than the equivalent 'normal' 5 series. 

I would have said a 535i GT would be bad news, lacking the torque to pull the thing along at anything approaching 535d GT pace.

Total 535i models will include E34 and E39s and F07s which will equal 900 odd which explains your high number under SORN which will figure including the older models.

The F10s like mine are registered as 535i M Sport then auto or nothing if manual or if weird like mine there is the word turbo included. 

@bigshout Have you got a link to your 900 find? I can't see it from how many left.

Edited by 535iAR

4 minutes ago, E39touring said:

I would have said a 535i GT would be bad news, lacking the torque to pull the thing along at anything approaching 535d GT pace.

Whoa don't go there with engine torque outputs! :blink:

On 30/05/2017 at 3:30 PM, E39touring said:

But, I think the OP is talking about F07 GT. You cannot compare them to the F10/F11, there is 300kg difference and a 535i GT would be far worse on fuel than the equivalent 'normal' 5 series. 

Maybe a 550 GT then :) Although road tax is a bit too high!

I understand the comments on weight difference between F07 & F10. Based on the information in this thread I'd would now look at 535i's when I change as well as 535d's. Don't mind if F07 or F10 next.

Bought my car in Edinburgh and drove it back to Reading.  Managed 29mpg sitting at 85-90mph.

Just been to Belgium for a week with the Family.  Managed 27.5 mpg average over 650miles(ish).  That was 4 up.  Full boot.  Tow bar mounted bike rack with 4 bikes.  Reckon sitting at 80 mph u'll see high 20's.  Noticed that if i start heading north of 80 the MPG really tails off! 

Hard to get away from the fact that it is a big heavy car and its going to take quite some energy to get it going and keep it at a decent lick!

G

On 24 May 2017 at 7:43 AM, 535iAR said:

Its not, I was talking rubbish it is actually 29.1mpg in the 5999 miles since I rest the journey computer. The average on my dash trip is 28.6mpg. I must have done more averages above 30mpg than I thought then. Surprised at that!

Bottom line is that it is most economical BMW I've owned.

Found the picture of proof of my real world mpg after 6k miles of ownership

image.jpeg