Splondike

E36 M3 Saloon

11 posts in this topic

Well, another BMW has crept into my newly enlarged garage space.  I warned the missus this may happen :)

I was browsing the web on a Sunday night last month (as you do) and a nice looking M3 saloon popped up that had just been posted up and it looked interesting.  The chap was a little difficult to get hold of but when I eventually got hold of him I managed to arrange to see it during that week as it was not far from one of my company's offices.

It's Cosmos black with Black leather interior #402 of the 415 3.0 saloons.  He had owned it for 5 years and driven it around 300 miles, basically getting a jacking point repaired for MOT and a some paintwork done whilst there.  Then going a bit mad and spending a fortune on new parts from BMW and then mothballing it, afraid something would happen to it I think.  Then he bought other daily cars including an E46 M3 and now a 996 turbo which he now wants to get in the garage so finally coming to the decision he needed to move the M3 on.

When I turned up he removed the covers on it and brought it out of the garage into the sunshine and it presented well, sounded alright and drove well.  The interior is in nice condition apart from some screw holes for a phone and a mark on the dash.  He (like alot of people it seems) did not like the wood trim so replaced it all with brand new black items.  But had all the original stuff still. The list of new dealer items is quite large:

Exterior: Door trims, Bumper, bumper inserts (front and rear), door handles, grilles, headlights and covers, front indicators, rear light units, side repeaters, windscreen wiper arms.
Interior: Steering wheel, door handles, dash Trim, console Trim.
Mechanical: Radiator, springs, shocks, wishbones, ARBs , Evo exhaust (stainless), brake discs, calipers , pads
Misc: Bonnet catches, boot fittings, battery and spare wheel fixings etc
Refurbed all 5 wheels with new tyres.  Has complete tool kit, first aid kit etc and is nice and standard which itself seems unusual with these.

Not an optionmeister either:
S255     Sports leather steering wheel
S401     Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
S411     Window lifts,electric,front/rear
S428     Warning triangle and first aid kit
S473     Armrest front
S498     Headrests, rear, mechanically adjustable
S554     On-board computer V with remote control
S687     Radio preparation
S773     Fine wood trim
L812     National version Great Britain
S850     Dummy-SALAPA

Anyway I decided to sleep on it and changed my mind about 4 times overnight then gave him a bell and agreed a deal.  I could not collect it for a few weeks so I only picked it up last week.

In the museum with the E28

20170505_075950_zpsa4kczsaz.jpg

20170505_075916_zpstvwowtxf.jpg

The sombre inside after a quick spruce of the leather (yes I know it needs a hoover!)

20170514_180224_zpsutg8umdr.jpg

I got the machine polisher out to detail the outside (got to get it up to standard) at the weekend and it's starting to look quite good:

20170514_125601_zpsoaxa4vxe.jpg

20170514_125607_zpsu8wrwfh9.jpg

20170514_131454_zpsqf5c1t3w.jpg20170514_131504_zps0ctdkvjj.jpg

It drove fine on the way home, it sounds nice and pulls really well.  However despite changing all those suspension parts I think it needs rear trailing arm bushes as it feels a bit wayward at the rear after driving it and the E28 hard back to back.  So I will need to address that shortly, there is a metallic scraping sound which is road speed related, possibly from the brakes when it is hot at low speeds and not all the time ? It may just need some use but will have a dig around and see if I can find whats going on.  Then give the underside a clean up and address anything needs doing and get someone who knows these engines to give it a once-over, it's been serviced recently but I want to be sure all is well and anything preventative that can be done is sorted before we begin this little adventure.  Then clean it all up to standard try and improve it as we go along (as usual) and enjoy it :)

Lovely straight looking car,

I,m quite jealous of your garage and its 4 wheeled occupants :)

Cheers Mick, There's still a lot of stuff I need to clear out to be honest.  Must have an ebay session and cleanse some more !

I did like my M3 saloon - it tested me to the limit but once i'd shown it some love it was a very enjoyable car to own.

Seeing the prices now one wonders if i should have sold it :lol:

Carl-e34 likes this

Looks like a great example - how many miles are on her?

Seems to be an increasing love of the E36 on here :-)

looks like new!!! Awesome cars. Congrats on the new purchase.

They always look good in pictures though don't they :) it helps with all those new trinkets, you can actually see the headlights etc.  It's done 130k.

Love this. Theres an abandoned one identical to yours near me in Hampton that's not been on the road since 2009. 

Despite being mid restoration on the 535 and paying for a wedding in 2 months i may have left a note on the windscreen asking if its for sale :ph34r:

Well you kept that quiet..... :ph34r: 

SWINE!!!!

Looks lovely though.

Splondike likes this

Yeah Chris, I obviously knew when I saw you last.... I slipped up with social media which let the cat out of the bag lol :rolleyes:  but it doesn't matter really.