Sign in to follow this  
G30B57

Differences between F10 & G30

For anyone thinking of moving from an F10 to a G30, this list may prove helpful:

Indicators and wipers now have a mechanical ‘click’ on/off

No central air vent temperature control wheel

Lowest steering wheel position not as low as F10

Adjustable illumination intensity on roof lights

Glovebox about same volume but less useable size

Centre console storage box is smaller

'Fingers' in cup holders have rounded edges so cups insert more easily!

Radio on/off button used to put electrics in stand-by rather than pressing start button once

Double pull on bonnet lever required instead of lever under leading edge of bonnet

No soft lining in little storage box near to steering wheel

No storage box in rear armrest

Seat side wings adjustable for width

Seats more contoured than F10

Dedicated parking light switches for left and right side lights

No storage net in passenger footwell (this is now sold as an accessory)

More solid plastic moulding around base of front seats so no more creaking sounds

Folding rear seat release handles operate much more smoothly

Lights on/off switch feels a lot more precise

Windscreen wiper ‘auto’ function is now activated by moving the wiper stalk upwards

No tweeters in front door with the standard sound system

Mirrors fold when locking without having to hold the lock button down

Auto-hold on parking brake stays selected permanently without having to press it each time car is started

Steering wheel rim feels thicker but I may just be imagining that

Three windscreen washers instead of two

Boot much easier to close (now aluminium)

Reversing camera lens is positioned further out from bootlid so it gets dirtier

Washer bottle filler is now up near bonnet hinge

Storage boxes in sides of boot are small but at least there are now two of them

No large storage area under boot floor

Boot is narrower but slightly higher between floor and parcel shelf

12V power socket is missing from boot (now an option at £45)

Wheel fitment is now 112x5 pcd & 66.6 bore (same as Mercedes and Audi) so older BMW wheels don’t fit

Edited by G30B57

Thanks for this information G30

It's quite useful to have a heads up on these changes.

Cheers

Base system in F!0 didn'thave tweeters either, I mean like the most basic possible option
Also, boot has shopping hook. Only one tho, on left hand side, even the 4 series has two...

Compared to an F10? Its not as huge a jump as it was from E60 to F10, but then again, the E60 was not a hard act to follow. 

The G30, compared to the F10, from a person that has had both version of the car, both very well spec'd, is night and day. Everything that I didn't like in the F10 has been improved, materials are a different league, more comfortable, more refined, better standard spec, better looking in my opinion. 

If you get a chance, drive one back to back. I did the other weekend after having my G30 for almost two months. The difference is absolutely vast 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:46 PM, sjak92 said:

Compared to an F10? Its not as huge a jump as it was from E60 to F10, but then again, the E60 was not a hard act to follow. 

The G30, compared to the F10, from a person that has had both version of the car, both very well spec'd, is night and day. Everything that I didn't like in the F10 has been improved, materials are a different league, more comfortable, more refined, better standard spec, better looking in my opinion. 

If you get a chance, drive one back to back. I did the other weekend after having my G30 for almost two months. The difference is absolutely vast 

What was it about the F10 that you weren't keen on?

Differences between F10 & G30.

There is only one decent engine in the whole range, and where is the V8 in the G30? :D

Sadly as a sign of the times, there is only one silky smooth 6 pot petrol in the G30 range, the 6 pot engines BMW are know for, is only available in one size. :blink:

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

There is only one decent engine in the whole range, and where is the V8 in the G30? :D

550i in markets where people are prepared to buy it in quantities that make it worthwhile (and fuel is cheap!!)

Not the UK unfortunately.

The exclusive sign of having a decent engine in an F10 indicated by the twin single tail pipes has been lost on the G30, as even the 520d has twin single tails now.  

Long gone are the days of an E60 owner debadging the aga only to be still outed as a 4 pot diesel by the single pea shooter exhaust.

23 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The exclusive sign of having a decent engine in an F10 indicated by the twin single tail pipes has been lost on the G30, as even the 520d has twin single tails now.  

Long gone are the days of an E60 owner debadging the aga only to be still outed as a 4 pot diesel by the single pea shooter exhaust.

F10 never had a single exhaust, F30 2 litre diesels DID.

Maybe you mean wheelbarrow exhausts (one either side)?

Dont get me wrong, I liked my F10, it was unbelievably well spec'd for the car it was. The G30 is just on another level, everything is improved. 

Oh and the tail pipes are not do even out the line or hide exclusivity etc. Its cheaper to produce the car having one bumper design, one set of back boxed etc rather than two

5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Oh and the tail pipes are not do even out the line or hide exclusivity etc. Its cheaper to produce the car having one bumper design, one set of back boxed etc rather than two

But the SE and M-sport appear to be different...unless the squared off M-sport ones are fake (I hope not!)?

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

On the F10 it's in the diffuser, so bumper is the same on all models.

True about the diffuser, i only realised this yesterday. 

Nonetheless, it makes the process cheaper. 

M Sport ones are not fake, it was the first thing i checked when I got the car. I thought that they would be just a decorative item with normal pipe sticking out inside - if that was the case I would have gotten rid of them, but luckily, its actually a proper part of the exhaust 

To those that say that the F10 is too similar to the G30.

i parked next to an LCI F10 in White, M Sport and Black Grilles, just like mine, essentially, difference is huge side by side. See photo

14780368-7E04-4D82-9F33-855F19C2A354.jpeg