Nomis

MY CARS BEEN STOLEN!

99 posts in this topic

Thats brilliant and better than when you had it!

Whats the deal now the insurance has paid out?

Well that's the thing. It's the insurance company's car now but I'm wondering if it's worth calling them with an offer to buy it back. Apparently the ignition barrel and cowling is still broken. I just can't fathom what they were going to do with it. Not exactly a common sight on the roads a 4 door Boston green M3 is it so does attract a bit of attention.

Certainly worth asking the buy back cost I'd say. Cowl and ignition aren't the end of the world.

Sounds like it wasn't joy riders which is promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond likes this

Well that's the thing. It's the insurance company's car now but I'm wondering if it's worth calling them with an offer to buy it back. Apparently the ignition barrel and cowling is still broken. I just can't fathom what they were going to do with it. Not exactly a common sight on the roads a 4 door Boston green M3 is it so does attract a bit of attention.

Great news to hear that it's been recovered and in one piece! Hopefully you can buy it back off your insurance company for a good price

Good result, just make sure the insurance company don't rip you off with an offer as it will cost you to undo their "improvements" like painting the wheels back to a normal colour.

Great result, very pleased for you.

Quality!! Get it back but it will be worth a less with a stolen flag against it.

I new a chap years ago that has a stunning red MG montego, he hated it as it ran like bag if bolts, didn't handle and was done on power. You can see where this is going..... Suffice to say he was gutted it was returned, to full getaway car spec!!

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting - do you want it back or do you prefer your E92?

19 minutes ago, Lennox said:

I new a chap years ago that has a stunning red MG montego, he hated it as it ran like bag if bolts, didn't handle and was done on power. You can see where this is going..... Suffice to say he was gutted it was returned, to full getaway car spec!!

You have to ask though, but what kinda person steals a Montego?

Mr_530i and Lennox like this

You have to ask though, but what kinda person steals a Montego?

Yeah, it wasn't even a turbo, those things flew..... They had sorted out suspension issues the local MG dealer couldn't.... Very bizarre. He bought a Monza after, another hunk of junk.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Superb News, although definately unusual.

Amazed it's still in one piece, hope you manage to get it back mate !

Just spoke to the insurance co. All their salvage goes to copart

To be honest I've fallen for the E92 now and as an every day car it's superb so I'd only want to buy back the M3 to make a few quid selling it on and be sure it stays on the road and doesn't end up at quarry motors being broken for spares.

Can't believe the police actually did their job. Result!

How did they find it? or are they not inclined to share that type of info. Makes you think was it someone local or just an opportunist in the right place and right time, as how does it end up in Leeds, and what other cars might the police have recovered. 

** Apologies Re-Read it... Police didn't advise where they had found it, just where it is now***  

Edited by Mr_530i

I don't know how they found it but I guess they caught the asshole for something then searched his premises. I'd love to know what happened and how it ended up where it did but I doubt I'll ever get to know. Having said that I suppose because the crime was committed against me I should be able to find out the details when the case goes to court no?

There is a Barn down the road from here with Several Montegos in it.

The last time I was at Oulton Park there was a Banana yellow Montego estate racing fairly competitively ........

Well until it went bang it was anyway.

Nice to see OP had some closure to this episode

On 7 September 2017 at 0:03 PM, Nomis said:

To be honest I've fallen for the E92 now and as an every day car it's superb 

This is it really. The E36 was a great car 20 years ago, but time moves on. A good 6 cylinder E9x is a much better idea.

Nomis likes this

Well, another phone call from the police but this time my local station. She said she understood 'my' car had been recovered by West Yorkshire police from an address in Leeds. I said yes I believe so. She then went on to say that they are investigating somebody near where I live in connection with it. She asked me what West Yorkshire police had told me so I said not a lot really. Turns out they don't even like to share stuff with other forces!!!! Anyway she said that it appears somebody local to me stole it and sold it to a dealer in Leeds who rang the police to say the car he was doing up on his drive had been stolen That explains the replaced wing and the sprayed wheels but doesn't explain why a dealer, even a dodgy dealer would buy a car with a smashed window, smashed ignition, no keys and no paperwork then leave it on their drive for the police to find!

The more I find out the more questions I have.

The lady I spoke to was very nice and friendly and said she is going to keep me updated on the investigation.

Did you have an agreed value classic policy on this or just a standard comp cover?

I dont imagine the books prices will reflect the uplift in price these have seen in recent times.

Just a normal policy but I got exactly what I wanted so can't complain. The insurance company were very fair and sorted it quickly.