Jump to content
ingvaldsen

E39 2003 525dat - biturbo project

Recommended Posts

hello

 

i just want to show you guys my little project here in norway

 

i just bought myself a 525dat in good condition that im going to give more power.  then i bought myself an alpina d10 biturbo engine.

my goal is to reach more than 300bhp out on the wheels, the engine have managed 440whp with a bigger single turbo previously 

 

here's the option list : 

Quote

Type 525D (EUR)

Dev. series E39 (2)

Line 5

Body type TOUR

Steering LL

Door count 5

Engine M57

Cubical capacity 2.50

Power 120

Transmision HECK

Gearbox AUT

Colour BLACK SAPPHIRE METALLIC (475)

Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/LIGHTGELB (O7LG)

Prod. date 2003-08-08




Order options
No. Description
210 DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL (DSC)

227 SP/SUSPENSION W SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION

235 TRAILER-HITCH WITH REMOVABLE HEAD

249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL

302 ALARM SYSTEM

316 AUTOMATIC TAILGATE OPERATION

320 MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION

337 M SPORT PACKAGE

386 ROOF RAIL

403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC

417 ROLLER SUNBLIND, REAR SIDE WINDOWS

423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR

428 WARNING TRIANGLE

430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE

441 SMOKERS PACKAGE

459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY

464 SKIBAG

481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

500 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING

508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)

521 RAIN SENSOR

522 XENON LIGHT

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

601 TV FUNCTION

609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL

620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM

644 PREP. FOR. MOB. PH. BLUET. INTERF.

672 CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE

760 INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME

773 WOOD TRIM

775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE

785 WHITE DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS

788 M LT/ALY WHEELS

801 GERMANY VERSION

863 EUROPE/DEALER DIRECTORY

879 GERMAN / ON-BOARD DOCUMENTATION

915 NO OUTER SKIN PROTECTION

934 WINTER TYRES ON LT/ALY WHEELS

936 REQUEST BMW MOBILE PHONE ON DELIVERY

945 CONSIDERATION OF PRICE DEPENDENCY

964 REQUEST NAVI DVD ON DELIVERY

970 BUISNESS PACKAGE




Series options
No. Description
202 STEPTRONIC

470 CHILD SEAT ISOFIX ATTACHMENT

520 FOGLIGHTS

548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING

851 LANGUAGE VERSION GERMAN

 

i also got a set of style 95 wheels that is coming on to the car very soon, and im also going to fit my contourseats from a preface e38 into my facelift e39.

 

 

here are som pictures:

IMG_1307.thumb.JPG.0952eff60627ecca473ce6b828cbe091.JPGIMG_1343.thumb.JPG.3fc2a28099f53c59f7ad796a3c397e22.JPGIMG_1352.thumb.JPG.b4365a22b65e9379d6bbf83ed418283c.JPGIMG_1358.thumb.JPG.d777d98939edfd89102558c2e9e7369e.JPGIMG_1360.thumb.JPG.bd82dd43d390b56f837201616eef9447.JPGIMG_1361.thumb.JPG.ceef81191ab954864e7bf307075608a4.JPG

 

 

IMG_1368.thumb.JPG.f71007175222659d92709a5362e1c685.JPG

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.9af6f094c7a1880035ae569728ae1a91.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice project! There is an import e39 d10 bi-turbo on auto trader at the min for £17k! Lhd though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GStarrr said:

Nice project! There is an import e39 d10 bi-turbo on auto trader at the min for £17k! Lhd though 

there is one for sale in norway to but its way to simple.. only leatherseats and webasto. all in all this project is way cheaper than an alpina d10 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Raymond said:

 

Finally a project thread from you then... ;)

 

lovely looking touring indeed. 

 

As I said before, if you get stuck, give me a shout. 

 

thankyou :D i will, first priority is to get the alpina engine up and running :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Fantastic project ! Those Alpina E39 D10 Bi-Turbo's are very rare! 

 

The standard Alpina figures are 245 BHP for the D10 and that's not at the wheels. To get 300 HP at the wheels will mean at 'crank' of perhaps 360-380? what internal's will require changing and what would the spec on them all be? If this engine has had a single turbo conversion and 440 HP at the wheels, then at 'crank' it'd be pushing 520-540+ ?

 

Those figures sound 'very expensive' to me! I'm wondering what the list of modifications and parts etc would be needed to get these BIG power increases reliably ?

 

Don't forget, the OEM style 95's are heavy wheels, I recall around 18KG for the 10 inch rears and 13/14 KG for the 9.5 inch fronts. The 'ideal' way is to go for lighter wheels which reduces unsprung weight and helps with handling and the drivability of the car - heavier wheels reduce handling and performance. I guess with a massive jump up in power to the figures you want will overcome that, but if another car could be made like yours and used lighter wheels, it'd perform better !

 

Subscribed to see and watch your progress on this ! :)

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

 

Fantastic project ! Those Alpina E39 D10 Bi-Turbo's are very rare! 

 

The standard Alpina figures are 245 BHP for the D10 and that's not at the wheels. To get 300 HP at the wheels will mean at 'crank' of perhaps 360-380? what internal's will require changing and what would the spec on them all be? If this engine has had a single turbo conversion and 440 HP at the wheels, then at 'crank' it'd be pushing 520-540+ ?

 

Those figures sound 'very expensive' to me! I'm wondering what the list of modifications and parts etc would be needed to get these BIG power increases reliably ?

 

Don't forget, the OEM style 95's are heavy wheels, I recall around 18KG for the 10 inch rears and 13/14 KG for the 9.5 inch fronts. The 'ideal' way is to go for lighter wheels which reduces unsprung weight and helps with handling and the drivability of the car - heavier wheels reduce handling and performance. I guess with a massive jump up in power to the figures you want will overcome that, but if another car could be made like yours and used lighter wheels, it'd perform better !

 

Subscribed to see and watch your progress on this ! :)

 

Cheers, Dennis!

 

 

thanks :D

the engine was previously used in a bmw e46 wtcc car with a borgwarner turbo and other nozzles, intercooler and water injection etc, but the internals was stock alpina. now im going to fit the engine, keep the auto transmission and see how far i get after tuningsoftware. the only internal change is other springvalves.  but the previous owners setup was safed on around 400 hp

the handling is not so importent, its going to look good and have a little extra horses burn som tires etc.  im hoping to upgrade the cheap coilovers to KW or bilstein, but i can only find kw v1 for touring with air and nothing from bilstein... and a lsd differential ofc

 

i saw a d10 with upgraded stock hybrid turbos reach 350hp on the wheels, the stock turbo's are almost the same as on e46 320d 136 hp, but these are vnt turbos on the alpina.

and yes, engine was very expensive, and it will get worse... :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

 

Thanks for the update, so it's an already modified engine :) I think it'd be a good idea to see if you can contact the wtcc team who built it to see if they will indeed remap the ECU to get those levels of power and most importantly, with an idea of public road use, i.e no point in having all that power at really high rev and boost levels. To do that, it may mean the engine will need a less aggressive map and thus be a little down on outright power/torque. I also think you'll need to look at the technical specifications of the standard gearbox and have that rebuilt to handle the massive increase in power and torque. There's a thread which I can't find currently, where another member over in Norway/Denmark/Sweden/Norway ( i forget which !) rebuilt his auto box with uprated internals in order to handle reliably a massive increase in torque/power and which I seem to recall cost around the £3500 level. I suspect, your plans mean even higher figures and thus that cost level might well be substantially more.

 

As for looks and handling, it's not a 'little extra horses' that you are looking to add! you're adding a massive amount of power/torque! There's KW and ST coilovers for E39 Touring's with rear air suspension, also you can buy the BC Racing fronts only I believe. Other options include Apex, AP, Vogtland. Depending on your budget, you might want to go with custom built suspension. Also, do consider the variation in weight of the engine and then of your modifications, the reason is all the specialist suspension brands there have 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder variants for their suspension kits. 

 

Is there any video's or published information on the engines you've seen at 350HP, 400HP and 440HP (at wheels)? 

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi 

 

Thanks for the update, so it's an already modified engine :) I think it'd be a good idea to see if you can contact the wtcc team who built it to see if they will indeed remap the ECU to get those levels of power and most importantly, with an idea of public road use, i.e no point in having all that power at really high rev and boost levels. To do that, it may mean the engine will need a less aggressive map and thus be a little down on outright power/torque. I also think you'll need to look at the technical specifications of the standard gearbox and have that rebuilt to handle the massive increase in power and torque. There's a thread which I can't find currently, where another member over in Norway/Denmark/Sweden/Norway ( i forget which !) rebuilt his auto box with uprated internals in order to handle reliably a massive increase in torque/power and which I seem to recall cost around the £3500 level. I suspect, your plans mean even higher figures and thus that cost level might well be substantially more.

 

As for looks and handling, it's not a 'little extra horses' that you are looking to add! you're adding a massive amount of power/torque! There's KW and ST coilovers for E39 Touring's with rear air suspension, also you can buy the BC Racing fronts only I believe. Other options include Apex, AP, Vogtland. Depending on your budget, you might want to go with custom built suspension. Also, do consider the variation in weight of the engine and then of your modifications, the reason is all the specialist suspension brands there have 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder variants for their suspension kits. 

 

Is there any video's or published information on the engines you've seen at 350HP, 400HP and 440HP (at wheels)? 

 

Cheers, Dennis!

 

the car was put together by wtcc parts and body, not a wtcc car, the engine is from a stock alpina d10 biturbo. 
there is a person here in norway running stage 4 kit from the guy i bought the engine from that has around 350 bhp and as you say upgraded the stock gearbox :)

 

 

12744288_1247353035294423_3531715597474478217_n.jpg.1547ba88fff9bdd65f387fa965018b31.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Interesting to see there's some seriously modified Diesel E39's out there! that d10 engine is super rare so cool to see some pushing out big power. I can only assume at those big outputs, the fuel consumption would take a big hit even when driving normally and even more of a hit when driving 'spiritedly'! It's at that point where I'd think it'd be better to look at an M5, but in terms of just doing the big power diesel projects like you are, it's because you 'can' :)

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

 

Interesting to see there's some seriously modified Diesel E39's out there! that d10 engine is super rare so cool to see some pushing out big power. I can only assume at those big outputs, the fuel consumption would take a big hit even when driving normally and even more of a hit when driving 'spiritedly'! It's at that point where I'd think it'd be better to look at an M5, but in terms of just doing the big power diesel projects like you are, it's because you 'can' :)

 

Cheers, Dennis!

i bought this car with an intension to never sell it because this is how i want my car to be  and it cant be bought. i like to have something no one else got so this is my way of building the perfect daily driven e39. very few people do more to their dieselcar than tuning it. and there is only 2 d10  engines ever been on the market known to man and mine is one of them. both is actually in norway 

 

i will start the engineswap after a bmw car meet on the first weekend in june.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do anybody have knowledge about the automatic tailgate ? it wan't open properly.   if i open the small glas first it will lift without any problem, but no all the way, so i have to press many times to get it fully open, is there any sensor that tells how far the tailgate is open since it want open fully in one operation? is it possible to reset or something  ? when i press the last time so its fully open it still tryes to push a little further so i think the hydralics is healthy.   i know i have to change the tailgate damper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work . But why to make this M57D25 biturbo ? This engine have the first Bosch injection system and he supports maximum 280-300 hp . I will try this year to put 3.0d biturbo engine from a 335d e90 or 535d e60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, benysound said:

Nice work . But why to make this M57D25 biturbo ? This engine have the first Bosch injection system and he supports maximum 280-300 hp . I will try this year to put 3.0d biturbo engine from a 335d e90 or 535d e60

 

No this is not d25, this is an original m57a1 from alpina d10 biturbo wich is 3 liter and has a way bigger pump than both d25 and d30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×