Conan

M5 Touring update

27 posts in this topic

Not been around for a while. Had the Touring a year now - love it completely. Not sure we'll ever part! 

Most work has been preventative maintenance like having the big end bearings done and a few bits tidied up. 

Also lowered the front on h&r springs and replaced all the chrome with black. 

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

Hairyarse, Blobby, 740mick and 4 others like this

Hi Conan,

Long time no see/hear from you ! hope all is well with you and the recent family additions!

Good to hear the car is great for you and that you've been looking after it ! now that you know it's a good basis and in addition to the lowering and black trims you need to start modifying it a little bit more ;)  

Cheers, Dennis!

Ha! Always wanting more you Dennis! 

Maybe be when the right wheels turn up but for now it looks pretty much spot on. 

What's it like day to day Matt? Thought the gearbox is supposed to be a bit dimwitted about town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

What's it like day to day Matt? Thought the gearbox is supposed to be a bit dimwitted about town?

Every morning I start it up and let it warm up - I can hear it going through it's warm up tune as I do my teeth - makes me grin every time. 

It's incredibly comfy and the ride is beautifully supple. The seats are gorgeous and mine has the bmw individual Hi-fi which is epic.

I always drive it in manual - either paddles or stick - auto really is as bad as they say! Thing is It's not a chore and you're connected to one of the greatest engines ever built! 

Took me about 6 months to learn to pull off smoothly but now I can town driving is a doddle. 

Obviously 11-13mpg round town isn't great but you get used to it and I've bought an xc90 on lpg for family work so M5 is down to my commute and playing which is maybe 100-200 miles a month.  

When you want it to be it is epic though! Go go out regularly with a mate in an f10 M5 and obviously he roasts me for low down grunt, but I've noticed he often has his window down so he can hear the V10!

If it's not coming across already - I love it! Was really worried it wasn't going to feel special every day, it hasn't  disappointed in the slightest! 

urquattro likes this

1 hour ago, Conan said:

Ha! Always wanting more you Dennis! 

Maybe be when the right wheels turn up but for now it looks pretty much spot on. 

Hi M!

Absolutely! This forum has plenty of oem only types, so I don't mind flying the flag for urging owners to be a little more individual with their cars :)

There's plenty of wheels which look great/fantastic on the E60 when done right, do you have a shortlist of any you'd like? I do have a set of 20" Hartge Classic which could make their way onto your car ;)  if there's any other's, let me know and between myself and a couple guys we could potentially locate a set or have some made up etc

Cheers Dennis!

Sounds epic Matt. Any thing with an m engine is something special to own.

Make sure that the diff is serviced. It's a bugger when they lock up

31 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Make sure that the diff is serviced. It's a bugger when they lock up emoji6.pngemoji8.png

Ha! Yes, managed 364 days longer crash free with this M5.............

^^^ nasty .......imo obviously. if they'd given us these with manual boxes they'd have been just about perfect. Yours Conan does look very nice and mean in black!

535i Andrew likes this

12 hours ago, Nomis said:

^^^ nasty emoji40.png.......imo obviously. if they'd given us these with manual boxes they'd have been just about perfect. Yours Conan does look very nice and mean in black! emoji1360.png

Hi Nomis,

Do a bit of research and then draw your conclusion as to why not many E60 M5's were specified with a manual gearbox in the US where it was an option :)

I know the majority of BMW5 members don't like anything if it's not 'OEM' spec, which is fine of course. Just some enthusiasts love to customise and modify our cars to our own particular tastes !

Cheers, Dennis!

4 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

I know the majority of BMW5 members don't like anything if it's not 'OEM' spec, which is fine of course. Just some enthusiasts love to customise and modify our cars to our own particular tastes !

You keep saying that but don't think thats true lots of us have modified our cars but i think its less is more or OEM+ some mods just smack of max power.

You know what they say: you can buy all the trappings of class but you can't buy class!

535i Andrew likes this

Hi Duncan,

Some mods do indeed smack of bad taste and the old max power style of doing things. Other's are more subtle and aren't so obvious. The wheels above perhaps could be seen by some as 'max power', but with a simple change to say an anthracite instead of the red, more of the 'oem only' enthusiasts might like it better.

Which is worse?!

Joke%20E39%20M5%2011_zpsrtpqomaq.jpg

Joke%20E39%20M5%208_zpssyn4tkx0.jpg

Joke%20E39%20M5%2010_zpsdjfp3fwb.jpg

Joke%20E39%20M5%209_zpsyzxtvptd.jpg

Joke%20E39%20M5%207_zps7r3vvyjm.jpg

Joke%20E39%20M5%203_zpslaicd5m6.jpg

or

E39%20M5%20-%20Rial%20Daytona%2020%202_z

DSC01294.jpg

Matt, I look forward to your message indicating your shortlist of modifications ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

740mick likes this

But why shout about it, Matt has one classy car. It doesn't need to jump up and down going 'look at me! look at me!'

Each to there own and all but none of the above appeal to me.

I've been told off before for saying I really don't understand why bmw never offered a manual option for the E60 in Europe and only in the U.S. I've been told that BMW knows it's customers better than I do which really without question should be true.

But! To my POV, if they never ever developed them with manuals I could sort of get it but they did and then only offered it to the Americans, a nation renowned for loving their automatics and not the Europeans which traditionally and statistically bought more manuals in the past. Thing is, surely fitting a manual gearbox wouldn't have been any more difficult than fitting the auto as all the R&D had been done and the hardware was there for the American market so why not?

The biggest criticism I've ever read or watched was the gearbox being dim witted at slow speeds.

Hi Duncan,

I agree, that many owners don't want the 'shouty' type of modifications/wheel colour choices. I'm just putting forward the notion I know Matt has changed wheels on previous cars to choices that aren't usually seen/chosen to some extent so 'might' be the case for his E61. Not saying he 'should' have 'shouty' wheels either, perhaps a nice design with more contemporary colour choices. It may well be there'll be no change from the OEM wheels too! all depends what he'll want :)

Nomis - This topic has come up previously, and it's relatively easy to understand. There's many many more purchasers in the USA who are private individuals who wish to spend their own money on high(er) end cars and ultimately, walk into actual car showrooms and place orders each year. There's a considerable customer 'pull' as it were for what BMW will and have to listen to and then act upon. The E60 manual gearbox was offered in the USA as a result of that strong/vocal private customer feedback. In short, a much larger proportion of M5 purchasers are private and they wanted the manual option. What did become quite clear early on in the car's life cycle, is that the manual gearbox just didn't feel right with that big engine, plenty of potential purchasers test drove them, some then went to actually order one, but it detracted from the car and it's overall experience. Hence, not many were sold and the much more popular choice was the SMG gearbox variant and which suited the car much better. At this level of power and performance, the driver can't change the gears quick enough and when it comes to the performance stats and figures, the 'slow' human makes for larger/slower performance than the cars immediate sector rivals. 

The UK has perhaps 90% or more of new car registrations which go to company car, company leases etc. The 'very top' end and profitable private company's where performance variant cars were offered as part of job perks etc where M5's could be chosen, BMW outside of North America knew that very few of those corporates wanted manual gearboxes, and private individuals which make up a much smaller percentage also didn't come into their showrooms demanding a manual gearbox. 

Engineering wise, the R&D had been done for the most part, but there's also massive costs for when it comes to testing, approvals standards requirements, certification requirements. Those costs are what would make it non profitable to sell the manual gearbox version in other non US markets along with little 'real' demand. 

There's only 222 right hand drive examples of the E61 M5 made for all RHD markets, so they're very very rare for a BMW model. Looks like 1364 manual gearbox models (US only). Total E60/1 production was 20589 units. So give or take a bit, about 5% were chosen with a manual gearbox, and Touring made up about 1025 units, so a bit less than than 5% again. 

Cheers, Dennis!

It's a lovely machine Matt, was impressed with it before the mods.  Glad you're enjoying the experience.

I missed a whole debate on modding! Sorry guys!

this is the first car where I've felt the oem wheels really do it justice. They're BBS and have a lovely concave on them.

i did fall in love with some rotiforms but they turned out to be 2K a wheel!

IMG_7925.JPG

Hairyarse likes this

Awesome

I love mine!

enjoy

Hi Matt,

The OEM M5 wheels are great with that deep concave to the face design ! definitely one of the nicer OEM wheels choice from BMW!

There's some better priced brand new forged wheels brands out there and I can get you pricing. The set on the white M5 above, I'd estimate would be 'around' the £4-4.5K level (I'd need to check with a supplier US side) and that also would include the shipping, import duty, VAT and clearance fees. Still a big wedge, but about half of the Rotiforms !

Some good used sets for the E60/1 M5 come up quite often on M5board for between perhaps £2500-3500 once all shipping and importation costs are included. Various tuner brand wheels come up and recently a set of 21" Racing Dynamics were up for a bargain $2200 USD I think they were (would have been around £2750'ish landed here)

Non forged sets from excellent quality wheel brands are cheaper still. Keep your eyes open for designs you like and if they're US brands, let me know to see what I can do. 

Cheers, Dennis!

I must be one of the only people who isn't keen on the OEM M5 wheels. I'd rather have a set of Spiders.

Mo_1986 likes this

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, Conan said:

You on bmw M5 group on fb - useful bunch

No, will have a look and see if I can find it.

How many miles has yours done? Rod bearings are something I am thinking about, but only done 56k. However, my e39 bearings went at 48k.

cheers