RyanBuck

Bmw f11 audio option.

Good afternoon fellow guys, I am after some audio advice please.

My f11 has the base audio 2 mids in front, 2 mids in rear and 2 subs under seat, now I have to admit I find the audio system not to bad at all however in my m5 it has the logic 7 setup which is fantasic.

Now Bing I like to do things my self I would like to:

1. Add door tweeters.

2. Upgrade front and rear mids.

3. Upgrade the 2 subs under the seat from 6 to 8".

So my first question is do we know what's the best speaker package for the F11?

Would any coding have to be done to the audio unit?

AMP - will it be better to amp the whole system, if so is there any guides to show how to wiring all this in etc?

Any help towards this please would be such a help.

Ryan.

Good morning guys, ok so with a bit more researching on the internet I am still struggling to find the info I require to run all the speakers of a amp.

HAS any one on here upgraded their f10/11 base system with a amp to new speakers?

What type of amp?

Will I need to use the wire's at the back of the head unit to the new amp then the output wires from the amp back to the cut wired from head unit etc.

I have done this thing before but not to a F10/11 setup like this.

Hi Ryanbuck,

Over the forums, here and others, there's not 'as much' information posted about audio upgrades to the F10/F11. However, the good thing is that the 'fundamental' methods of upgrading are pretty much the same. I'll assume you'll be wanting to go the 'best practice' methods which are ones you'll hear about if/when you take your car to quality and reputable car audio dealers/installers. I'll explain below

Level 1 - You've already touched on this and that's to simply swap out the front stage speakers to much higher efficiency and cleaner sounding upgraded drivers. There's kits which change the tweeter, midrange/midbass driver and the underseat subwoofers. They make the 'best' of the oem amplifier and for a good number of owners, this level of sound quality increase is enough for them and they're happy. The speaker kits are plug n play and direct swap fitment so for installation, it becomes easier to do. Look for kits from the likes of MBQuart, Rockford Fostage, Focal, Gladen, Rainbow, MTX (could be a few more brands too). I'd imagine prices will be from 'around' £330 to £600 or so. 

Level 2 - You can then add a quality amplifier afterwards (or at same time if you wish) to then drive the new upgraded speakers more efficiently and with more of the extra power they can handle. The result will be the speakers will play better and cleaner and louder if you wish without running into distortion and clipping. There's various choices here to suit what you'd like to do in terms of power and installation considerations as well as of course price level. 

Level 3 - This kind of overlaps both level 1 and 2. You'd get a OEM integration unit which 'extracts' the non amplified, much less distorted (if any) audio signal from the car's optical Bus system and which can then be passed to your choice of amplifiers and then speakers. This level is for when fantastic sound quality from the source is needed so that it presents an already clean signal to the amplifiers and then onto the speakers. Look for units from mObridge here. Depending on your budget again, you can get amplifiers which take an optical input and are then also very highly engineered to output as good a signal after the amplification stage as well. Else, you can use the RCA outputs from the oem integration unit to your chosen amps. 

You can go higher than these levels which is when you'll begin looking at creating door builds and specific fabrication for installation aspects mainly in order to have 'level 3' components above play even better!

Just so you are a bit more clear, the 'head unit' in the dash isn't a traditional head unit in the way you are thinking, they're just display units which might have a disk transport in them. The audio modules are all connected via an optical system and all need to be present in order to work. There's no wires there you can cut/use etc. 

Cheers, Dennis!

8 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Ryanbuck,

Over the forums, here and others, there's not 'as much' information posted about audio upgrades to the F10/F11. However, the good thing is that the 'fundamental' methods of upgrading are pretty much the same. I'll assume you'll be wanting to go the 'best practice' methods which are ones you'll hear about if/when you take your car to quality and reputable car audio dealers/installers. I'll explain below

Level 1 - You've already touched on this and that's to simply swap out the front stage speakers to much higher efficiency and cleaner sounding upgraded drivers. There's kits which change the tweeter, midrange/midbass driver and the underseat subwoofers. They make the 'best' of the oem amplifier and for a good number of owners, this level of sound quality increase is enough for them and they're happy. The speaker kits are plug n play and direct swap fitment so for installation, it becomes easier to do. Look for kits from the likes of MBQuart, Rockford Fostage, Focal, Gladen, Rainbow, MTX (could be a few more brands too). I'd imagine prices will be from 'around' £330 to £600 or so. 

Level 2 - You can then add a quality amplifier afterwards (or at same time if you wish) to then drive the new upgraded speakers more efficiently and with more of the extra power they can handle. The result will be the speakers will play better and cleaner and louder if you wish without running into distortion and clipping. There's various choices here to suit what you'd like to do in terms of power and installation considerations as well as of course price level. 

Level 3 - This kind of overlaps both level 1 and 2. You'd get a OEM integration unit which 'extracts' the non amplified, much less distorted (if any) audio signal from the car's optical Bus system and which can then be passed to your choice of amplifiers and then speakers. This level is for when fantastic sound quality from the source is needed so that it presents an already clean signal to the amplifiers and then onto the speakers. Look for units from mObridge here. Depending on your budget again, you can get amplifiers which take an optical input and are then also very highly engineered to output as good a signal after the amplification stage as well. Else, you can use the RCA outputs from the oem integration unit to your chosen amps. 

You can go higher than these levels which is when you'll begin looking at creating door builds and specific fabrication for installation aspects mainly in order to have 'level 3' components above play even better!

Just so you are a bit more clear, the 'head unit' in the dash isn't a traditional head unit in the way you are thinking, they're just display units which might have a disk transport in them. The audio modules are all connected via an optical system and all need to be present in order to work. There's no wires there you can cut/use etc. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis, can I just say a huge thank you to your time taken for the detailed response.

I would be looking for the option 2 where I would upgrade the speakers and add tweeters and an amp to drive them all.

Now most of the info I understand but the thing that I can't understand is how to send the signal from the car to the amp then from the amp to the speakers.

I know the Wi-Fi and above has an amp in the rear but I am sure the base unit has the amp driven in the head unit so I though speaker wires would cone from that point?

Do we know how do grab the signal from the car?

Just come across this link with a base unit from f10

These look like an alpine head unit which has an amp built in to the CD player and all the speaker cables plugged in?

Hi,

I'd suggest 100% confirming which modules you have in your car and then you can look to see what products you can purchase to begin upgrading your setup. The speaker sets will directly swap for the fronts so you'll get significant improvement with that. Are you 100% sure there's no tweeters in the front? If not, is there a housing area where a higher oem audio setup would have tweeters? 

IF your car does have a modular setup, then look at the mObridge range - https://www.mobridge.co.uk/ You'll be looking at the 'Pre- Amplifier' options, they'll 'extract' the digital audio signal prior to the oem amplifier stage for you to then connect your choice of high quality amplifiers and then speakers. 

IF your car has the setup like above and the CD module also definitely contains an in built amplifier and those same connections are indeed 4 channels of speaker wires that output a full range signal, then you could get a multi channel amplifier that accepts full range speaker level signals and connect all the outputs from the OEM amplified stage into it and then it'll amplify and you then connect up the upgraded speakers. If the output from the OEM amplified stage is split, ie speaker wires separate for the tweeter, midrange and subs under the seat, then you'll need an amplifier than accepts 6 channels of speaker level input. 

Another option is to use a sound processor that takes all the outputs from the OEM amplifier (or in built to the CD module amplified stage) and then that will output multi channel outputs (depending on which you get) to feed into your chosen amplifer(s) then speakers. 

Another route is if the oem modules are a split frequencies setup, you can get a signal summing unit that takes all those and then 'sums them up' into one full range signal output via RCA's which you then connect to your choice amplifier(s) then speakers.

Here's the Gladen 3 way setup for F10/F11's (and other BMW's)

http://www.teamspb.co.uk/GladenONEBMW201-p/gladenone201.htm

You can install all these, put the tweeter in where it would have been if you confirm your car currently doesn't have them then add an amplifier using one of the routes above once you confirm exactly the setup in your car. Apologies for me not knowing the exact setups on newer BMW's, talk to Team Amar at SPB, Lee at Platinum Car Audio in Coventry, Phil at the Install Company in Leicester, Rich at Hybrid Audio.co.uk. (the others come up easily with a google search) These highly experienced and knowledgeable installers will have direct experience with BMW F designation cars and can advise you more depending on your budget and what you'd like to achieve and get you those excellent results the first time by planning what you'd like. 

Cheers, Dennis!

On 2017-5-1 at 3:33 PM, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

I'd suggest 100% confirming which modules you have in your car and then you can look to see what products you can purchase to begin upgrading your setup. The speaker sets will directly swap for the fronts so you'll get significant improvement with that. Are you 100% sure there's no tweeters in the front? If not, is there a housing area where a higher oem audio setup would have tweeters? 

IF your car does have a modular setup, then look at the mObridge range - https://www.mobridge.co.uk/ You'll be looking at the 'Pre- Amplifier' options, they'll 'extract' the digital audio signal prior to the oem amplifier stage for you to then connect your choice of high quality amplifiers and then speakers. 

IF your car has the setup like above and the CD module also definitely contains an in built amplifier and those same connections are indeed 4 channels of speaker wires that output a full range signal, then you could get a multi channel amplifier that accepts full range speaker level signals and connect all the outputs from the OEM amplified stage into it and then it'll amplify and you then connect up the upgraded speakers. If the output from the OEM amplified stage is split, ie speaker wires separate for the tweeter, midrange and subs under the seat, then you'll need an amplifier than accepts 6 channels of speaker level input. 

Another option is to use a sound processor that takes all the outputs from the OEM amplifier (or in built to the CD module amplified stage) and then that will output multi channel outputs (depending on which you get) to feed into your chosen amplifer(s) then speakers. 

Another route is if the oem modules are a split frequencies setup, you can get a signal summing unit that takes all those and then 'sums them up' into one full range signal output via RCA's which you then connect to your choice amplifier(s) then speakers.

Here's the Gladen 3 way setup for F10/F11's (and other BMW's)

http://www.teamspb.co.uk/GladenONEBMW201-p/gladenone201.htm

You can install all these, put the tweeter in where it would have been if you confirm your car currently doesn't have them then add an amplifier using one of the routes above once you confirm exactly the setup in your car. Apologies for me not knowing the exact setups on newer BMW's, talk to Team Amar at SPB, Lee at Platinum Car Audio in Coventry, Phil at the Install Company in Leicester, Rich at Hybrid Audio.co.uk. (the others come up easily with a google search) These highly experienced and knowledgeable installers will have direct experience with BMW F designation cars and can advise you more depending on your budget and what you'd like to achieve and get you those excellent results the first time by planning what you'd like. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi guys, little bit more confused now lol.

I thought I would have a little snoop around the car today and I can across this little device in the rear left boot area, it has optic lines and lots of wires in a white plug.

What is This?

I unplugged the white plug and I lost all audio and I drive, plugged it back in and all fires back up.

Is this an amp?

Is the sound processed by this or the head unit?

20170502_170038.jpg

20170502_170644.jpg

20170502_170702.jpg

Hi,

Perhaps underneath is a part number ? take a look at realoem.com and filter through for your build date of the car itself and then also onto the relevant section and it may well provide you a description there as to what it is. Could be the 'Controller' of the audio system, might well be the amplifier unit! 

I suspect you've looked through more forum's and their relevant F10/F11 sub sections, is there any threads there which might give more of a clue for what it is? 

Cheers, Dennis!

6 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

Perhaps underneath is a part number ? take a look at realoem.com and filter through for your build date of the car itself and then also onto the relevant section and it may well provide you a description there as to what it is. Could be the 'Controller' of the audio system, might well be the amplifier unit! 

I suspect you've looked through more forum's and their relevant F10/F11 sub sections, is there any threads there which might give more of a clue for what it is? 

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Denis, I have been looking through OEM and I can't find any thing.

I have also been looking round the internet with no joy?

So confused, who thought the f11 could be so hard for this with lack of info...

Hi Ryan,

It's just one of those things, the vast majority of F10/11 and other recent BMW's have their owners who just aren't interested in audio sound quality upgrades. On the forums, it's usually as far as the 'level 1' I mentioned and a small percentage of more enthusiast owners will put those full front speaker/sub upgraded kits in and they're more than happy. When it comes to re-sale, plenty will just swap the oem stuff back in. It's a very small percentage who'll then go on to amplify and perhaps then look to higher quality components/products to get even better sound quality., Due to that, there's not much information on the forums generally. 

Speak to some of those well known, reputable and respected car audio dealers who'll most likely know more for you to discuss. 

Cheers, Dennis!

If you definately don't have tweeters in the door sails then you won't have an amp, the speakers are fed via 4 channels direct from the head unit. So you can either buy a wiring loom from teamspb as linked above, this literally loops the 2 or 4 channels high outputs to and amp and then back to the speaker wires behind the head unit (no need to cut any wires) or you can cut the speaker wires where they meet the underseat subs and route to an amp and back.  The key is that all front speakers (doors and under seat) are fed via the underseat subs, so this is where to pick up the high speaker inputs for an amp.  To do this properly you need to feed the subs separately and use a 4 channel amp (assuming you are not upgrading the rear speakers) or a 6 channel amp to upgrade the rears as well.

I am in the middle of doing this upgrade on my GT, so shout if you need any info.

Ian

The module pictured there is the ULF module (Bluetooth) and my removing the cable you took out the power which stopped the fibre from transmitting (the green cables). The fibre (using the MOST protocols) is a loop so if one module is removed, everything goes down which explains your audio cutting out.

I believe the F10/11 if near identical to the E60/61 from an audio perspective and there are basically three wiring options

1. Stereo (base) - all powered by the headunit and cables go from there, not the boot. 4 channels, front and rear L/R. This has 6 speakers, 2 in the front doors, 2 under seat (6") and 2 in the rear. the front and underseat use the same channel in parallel I believe. The EQ is modified to compensate for no tweeter so you'll need a signal processor to get the most out of this

2. Hi-Fi - 6 channels all going via cable to an amp in the rear these separate the under seats into a separate channel and also have tweeters in the front and I think coaxials in the rear? This is by far the easiest system to modify as the cables are already in the boot and the headunit outputs a flat signal meaning you can basically just swap out the OEM amp for aftermarket, same for speakers.

3. Logic7/Harman/individual etc. - uses MOST to connect to the amp then the OEM amp converts to normal cables and distributes. you either need a MOST adapter such as MoBridge, or add a signal processor after the OEM amp, either option isn't great. The speakers are generally good on these setups it's just the amp that doesn't get the best out of the system.

I'm in the process of upgrading my audio in my E61 from Base Stereo so have a look at that as I go along. I'm using the MB Quart 200.3 system which is also compatible with your car. and will be adding a JBL MS-8 DSP/Amp

On 02/05/2017 at 7:31 PM, RyanBuck said:

Hi guys, little bit more confused now lol.

I thought I would have a little snoop around the car today and I can across this little device in the rear left boot area, it has optic lines and lots of wires in a white plug.

What is This?

I unplugged the white plug and I lost all audio and I drive, plugged it back in and all fires back up.

Is this an amp?

Is the sound processed by this or the head unit?

I'm sure you've moved on with this by now but the module in the picture is the Combox that controls music playback via USB and iPhone, BMW Assist and the Bluetooth connectivity in the car. It isn't an amplifier and as you have previously alluded to the base headunit in your car provides the amplification for your speakers.