webweaver

Coolant leak advice

12 posts in this topic

Hi. I have an e60 545i which I believe has the 'valley' coolant leak. I have to top it up every 50 to 100 miles, depending on type of use. My question is, would it be of benefit to add anything like radweld or similar until I am able to get it fixed? All other hoses and radiator seem sound, so this is the likely culprit. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated 

I definitely wouldn't put any form of radweld in, you'd be better off just too keep filling up with coolant until you can get it repaired. 

I get a coolant leak from my 545 every year. I've replaced expansion tank, numerous hoses, the radiator... and now it's leaking again n I suspect the valley pipe. Topping up same as you every 50-100 miles. Gonna take it off road shortly and try that bimmerfix thing cos I'm not paying 2k or whatever to replace the pipe

webweaver likes this

18 minutes ago, tristan said:

I get a coolant leak from my 545 every year. I've replaced expansion tank, numerous hoses, the radiator... and now it's leaking again n I suspect the valley pipe. Topping up same as you every 50-100 miles. Gonna take it off road shortly and try that bimmerfix thing cos I'm not paying 2k or whatever to replace the pipe

I'm of the same mind. Apart from anything else it'll stop my neighbour from continually pointing out the embarrassing puddle on my drive!

Lol yeah I put some of those absorbent spill pads on my undertray to soak up all the coolant and oil leaks

Try this for a DIY job, uses the expanding pipe so you don't need to take the front of the engine apart!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/BMW-E60/16-WATER-N62_8_Cylinder_Coolant_Pipe_Replacement/16-WATER-N62_8_Cylinder_Coolant_Pipe_Replacement.htm

Thankfully mine never needed it doing but had plenty of oil leaks though, it wouldn't be an N62 if it didn't leak some of its vital fluids!

Edited by 535iAR
jake13 likes this

17 minutes ago, 535iAR said:

Try this for a DIY job, uses the expanding pipe so you don't need to take the front of the engine apart!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/BMW-E60/16-WATER-N62_8_Cylinder_Coolant_Pipe_Replacement/16-WATER-N62_8_Cylinder_Coolant_Pipe_Replacement.htm

Thankfully mine never needed it doing but had plenty of oil leaks though, it wouldn't be an N62 if it didn't leak some of its vital fluids!

Thanks for this. Probably have to pay someone to do it. Don't think I have the ability (or space) to d.i.y

535iAR likes this