tdansmith

Error Code 452A DPF Issue on 530d

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Some background:

I replaced the thermostats on my 530d LCI E61 about 3 weeks ago due to the engine temperature slowly deteriorating since I last replaced them ~3.5 years ago. I think the max temperature the coolant was reaching was 80-85 deg. when I did the DIY, so not massively low, but low enough that I thought it worth doing. Up until this point, I was receiving error messages for five of the six glow plugs. These error messages have been present for the past 2.5 years, without any associated issues.

Having replaced the thermostats, I drove with the C110 scanner plugged in and have been seeing temperatures hovering around 92 deg. which I believe is where they should be. However, I have also seen a new error code 452A which is related to the DPF, along with the usual five glow plug errors.

Since the thermostat replacement I have observed perhaps three regens occurring (exhaust temps hovering around 600 deg.), but the 452A error message remains. In each case, the temperature stays high for perhaps 10 minutes before gradually decreasing back to ~400 deg. As far as I can tell this is the behaviour that would be expected for a successful regen. The back pressure at idle looks to be below 10mPa after the regens occur which again seems about right, but clearly something is not happy. Also of note is the 'distance since last regen' figure is stuck at zero. Very Odd.

I plan to replace the glow plugs when I get a chance. I replaced the controller about 2 years ago hoping that that would clear the plug faults, but that didn't appear to do anything. At that point I think it was showing errors for four of the plugs; the fifth appeared shortly after this. (i.e. some 1.5 years before the above DPF error code appeared).

No errors are logged on the iDrive, so it is only through the scanner that I am aware that anything is untoward.

Any thoughts / suggestions welcome!

Edited by tdansmith

Fault 452A appears as the particle filter most of the mileage has exceeded maximum and serves as information / reference for the filter in a BMW expert workshop to be replaced

It seems your DPF has exceeded it's life according to the iDrive. Check through the menus to see what it says now.

You can reset this using DIS and give yourself another 100k miles.

Thanks Chis, much appreciated.

So is this something to be concerned about in terms of the DPF dying on me, or does it just come on at a fixed mileage? In my case, I would estimate that is appeared at ~115k miles.

My concern would be that the error code may trigger more frequent regens or something similar.

I intend to replace the glow plugs in any case (I have already bought a set of six), but from what you say it appears that this will have no effect on the above error code.

Any chance of clearing the code w/o DIS?

Thanks again!

It's just a notification based on the expected life span of the DPF (100k miles).

Nothing to worry about as long as your DPF is regenerating fine and keeping backpressure under control (which you can see using the C110)

I don't think you will be able to clear the codes as it is latched on due to the mileage going over.

Using DIS you simply reset the remaining miles so you can give it another 100k so whilst not really clearing a code, you are just reducing the "miles worn" to make the car think it has a way to go so the error has no reason to appear.

This is the same as resetting oil/brake service miles.

Interesting that changing the glowplug controller didn't clear your glowplug errors. It isn't particularly uncommon for glowplugs to fail but on the BMW, the controller is far more fragile and fails more.

Top Tip: change the glowplugs with a warm engine, they come out easier. If they are stuck in a cold engine, hand pressure alone is easily enough to snap them.

Edited by chr15gb

Thanks Chis, much appreciated.

So is this something to be concerned about in terms of the DPF dying on me, or does it just come on at a fixed mileage? In my case, I would estimate that is appeared at ~115k miles.

My concern would be that the error code may trigger more frequent regens or something similar.

I intend to replace the glow plugs in any case (I have already bought a set of six), but from what you say it appears that this will have no effect on the above error code.

Any chance of clearing the code w/o DIS?

Thanks again!

My idrive told me at around 120k miles that the DPF needed to be replaced. Reset the counter in DIS, no problems in the last 20k miles touch wood.

I think on the pre lci cars the DPF was not supposed to last the lifetime of the car, I don't think the LCI cars display the DPF in the service items so thus suggests it needn't be serviced.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk