SatBasi

F10 520d or 530d

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, im looking to buy a f10 after selling my e39 530i

i am considering a 520d, very happy with the claimed mpg and cheaper tax. 

But i do like the idea of more power from a 530d at the cost of less mpg

however, im worried after reading the horror stories about the chain snapping particularly on the 520d

would you say the 530d is problemfree in terms of the chain?

about the 520d-is there a certain age after which the chain problem was fixed?

your advice is appreciated 

Mick likes this

Definitely 530D. I've driven both albeit after getting a 520 and regret it to an extent. Chain snapping problems were fixed after 2011 I believe.

I am Very surprised at the build quality of these cars though. My mate had a 2 yr old F10 in 2012 and the rear spring broke. It has gone on mine too. Not scaring you but just saying thigs ca go wrong.

If you have a 530i, defo go to the 530d.

The 6 pot diesel will be more economical so you will notice savings, you won't want a 4 pot after having a 6 pot petrol.

I got a broken rear spring on mine fixed under AUC . It broke after 3.5 years and 37k miles.

I would say you need to thoroughly test drive both to truly decide, I have got a 530d and I do enjoy it but wouldn't think twice about going back to a 4 pot most of my miles are cruising along the motorway and I got a considerably better MPG return from my old 2l, the road tax difference doesn't bother me though £30 vs £150 over a year isn't a big deal but the monthly fuel costs certainly add up.

Did they not fix the chain issue on the b47 engine, think that came into play on 64 plate cars or 15 plate one of the two, as when I was choosing mine last year I had the same dilemma between 520d and 530d, I went for the 530d in the end as I have never had a 6 pot before and figured now was the time to enjoy one age / finances wise, but I will most likely be getting something more economical next time.

Everything I've read about the chain issue says that it was fixed in all engines from March 2011.

FWIW I had a pre-LCI 520d from 29k miles to ~60k miles and it was excellent. I averaged 42mpg over 2 years with zero problems. 

I've had a 530d for 24k miles from new. Currently averaging 35mpg. The difference in mpg is negligible for me. Also zero problems (so far).

Personally I find the 6 pot an order of magnitude more rewarding to drive but both have been rock solid in terms of reliability. Obviously I've only really experienced them in their "youth" but I think they are astonishingly good cars.

Go and drive both to make up your own mind. The 520d with the 8 speed auto is astonishingly competent and just as quick once up and running than an E39 530i - I have had both. 

My car is seven years old in December and only the rear suspension airbags (mines a touring) have been an issue to far. I would say it has been more reliable than the E39's that I had for almost ten years. The F11 has no issues (so far) with suspension bushes, sticking caliper causing a shimmy, parking sensors failing or lack of pixels (display issues).

It perhaps does not feel as well screwed together as an E39 but as above it appears to holding up extremely well.

The E39 will steer and ride better though with better driver communication through the controls

Hi thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate your help. Bmwmike, no i fancy a diesel. Never had a bmw diesel, would like to experience it

i am more inclined towards the 530d but will compare insurance and also tests drive both

thanks again

What about the 535d?  I sold my 530d last October for the 535d and the mpg is near identical. 

Lennox likes this

Just got myself a 525d - the 3.0ltr one. I can vouch for it being fantastic and can also agree the 8 speed box is great. I haven't had it long and do 80% motorway but best I have had so far is 760 miles from a tank. Might be worth considering as an option - if you can find one. I had also had an E60 525d and loved it but the F10 feels similar in build quality to me.

Funnily enough, I have also had a broken rear spring - only about three days after I got the car - fixed under warranty at the Main Dealer. Took them a week to fix :rolleyes:

Edited by 66split

I have had a e39 525d sport, e61 525d, e60 535d sport and now own an 2010 F11 530D. The F11 is the best one to date.

I bought it with 80k on it and it is now coming upto 100k. The car is currently in at BMW. During my ownership so far it has had 1 x service and tyres and that is it until the current visit. I pay a warranty on it of £78 a month and I was thinking of cancelling it, glad I didn't. They have had the car for 3 weeks and have done both rear airbags (suspension kept going down) Diff carrier bushes, glow plugs and controller, rear ball joint. I paid some labour to have the inlet manifold removed and they wanted £1700 to do a decoke but I have left that well alone, I think its normal at this mileage to have some carbon deposits and the car pulls and drives fine.

I was going to cancel the warranty but quite glad I didn't now, I would try and get one with good main dealer history and get a warranty, they didn't question anything just got on with it.

Apart from that I love it, mine was a launch car and is a really high spec. I have driven a 520d manual and you cant beat the torque and extra power of the 3.0d engine, plus the 6 pot noise. I hope to keep mine for a long time yet. I have had a 118d while mine has been repaired, put 2000 miles on it, did call BMW and tell them but they didn't seem to care so that's another bonus to the warranty a free car while mine was repaired.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by AshM