bmwmike

auto block change?

13 posts in this topic

You can drop as many as you want until it decides it's going to blow up and stops you going any further. I find I generally need to drop at least two if I'm cruising along and want a decent blast for overtaking. 

Yeah sorry I guess I phrased my question badly. Cruising along I (with my non sport auto) can drop it down multiple gears say from 8 to 4 but that is sequentially.. I think.. seems like a "double click" of the gearstick to make it drop two gears at a time would be so much nicer than click brief pause click brief pause click etc. ..

I believe the LCi units can do this.

This is my grumble with the 8 speed box in mine.  To get engine braking I need to very quickly double tap my - paddle shifter to get to 6th, this give a slight bit of engine braking but no where near enough.  I then need to repeat the double tap on the - paddle shifter to get to fourth to get any useful engine braking.

I asked this before and the answer I got was to hold down the - paddle shifter and it would go down as many gears as it needed itself.  I tried this and nearly ended up in the back of a Fiesta.  Asked again on here and the answer was on the LCi box.

Ah, I see, sorry. Yes, I tried the holding down method that I read about on here and also nearly ate kerb, grass, etc.

I've always assumed it's sequential but it reacts so quickly that if you tap it multiple times really fast it's as good as makes no difference.

We are assuming the OP has paddles?  Mine drops gears just by holding the down paddle.

No paddles. I did some testing earlier and the tapping the stick forward or backward multiple times drops the gear number quickly which I didnt think it did, but had never watched it. In fact I think dropping from 8 to 5 quickly drops the box into 5 rather than 8 7 6 5 which I honestly thought it was doing.

So. Pointless thread because it already does exactly what I wanted. Doh. Now looking for a paddle steering wheel to retrofit..

I retrofitted the paddle steering wheel and sport shifter to my E61, very easy.  I don't know about the F10 though. 

You will definately need the shifter and ECU to make this work, not cheap.

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM, E39touring said:

We are assuming the OP has paddles?  Mine drops gears just by holding the down paddle.

I've never tried holding down the paddles other than to resume full auto, so what effect does holding them down have, does it change down as far as possible or just a fixed number of gears?

Depending on what mode you are in it will drop two gears, maybe a petrol car would drop three gears?

The holding down of paddles will only block change gears on the LCi models which is why @E39touring does it as his is LCi.  Mine won't do it (pre LCi) regardless of transmission mode.  One paddle tap = one gear change.

Kickdown has the ability to change down more than one gear.  My E60 would go from 6th to 3rd whilst planting the right foot and I would watch the horizon appear over the lifted nose as it took off. Too many gears in the F10 for me to tell which one it has kicked down to from 8th.