Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuperDave

Electric car power - didn't see this coming did we?

8 posts in this topic

Not sure on the reporting... in the article it says:

Charging one car requires a similar amount of electricity as a typical home uses in three days, and simultaneous demand at a local level could damage networks without costly reinforcements.

Is that true.... ? I was under the impression it would be a couple of £s max....

Mate of mine already does home power storage from a large number of rooftop panels. His energy loading is *tiny* - if he switched on every light in his house it'd still be less than 60W.

From empty a 60kwh battery is going to use say 70kwh allowing for charging/transmission inefficiency etc.

A typical household uses roughly 4000kwh annually, 11kwh/day.

So for a full charge you are at more than 5 days.

Obviously they won't all be empty to full charges so from Tesla forums it looks like experience of 15k mile drivers is 5-7000kwh annual consumption, so comfortably doubling local demand on average, and possibly by more factors if the majority start charging in the evening, which you might expect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Seesure likes this

Its the same problem that the railway is having.

We are Electrifying miles and miles of the railway network at 25kV.

We cannot run more trains faster as there is, and I quote an Electrification Engineer colleague of mine "there is no where to plug it in".  There is simply no power in the national grid to move more trains around faster.  A train can weigh 2000 tonnes and travel at 75 mph.  Doesn't take hard sums to work out how may kWh that requires and you don't get that from your 13 amp socket in your living room.

The ecomentalists want our power to come from wind turbines spoiling our landscape for ever, but every day isn't a windy day!

We have shut down our coal powered power stations.

Nuclear is the answer but we have loads of nimbys.

bmpaul and Karl like this

We haven't quite shut down our coal power stations, but today was the first day that no power was taken from coal. Apparently 2025 is the date for the final coal-powered station to close down.

Round here there are lots of wind turbines and if I'm honest - I like them. A lot of solar farms too. What we should be looking at (and are doing) is tidal power as that is consistent and yes, more nuclear. Gas won't last forever.

Either that... or we scale back our power-hungry society markedly.

35 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

We haven't quite shut down our coal power stations, but today was the first day that no power was taken from coal.

Errrrr I had a hot fart in my tub before! So will that be enough to subside the country? :lol: