Peter_5

Fitting aftermarket wheels on my e39

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

At the moment I'm using 18" style 37 alloys, replica. They're  8x18 ET20 all around. I would like to swap them for a set of Rota Grid Drift 17": http://www.rotashop.co.uk/rota-grid-17-9-5x120mm-et35-flat-black-single-rim_p1040676.htm

They're 9x17 ET35. What spacers do I need to make them fit? I know it's possible as I've seen e39's driving on them. 

NuckingFuts and PeteLPG like this

Hi,

At the moment I'm using 18" style 37 alloys, replica. They're  8x18 ET20 all around. I would like to swap them for a set of Rota Grid Drift 17": http://www.rotashop.co.uk/rota-grid-17-9-5x120mm-et35-flat-black-single-rim_p1040676.htm

They're 9x17 ET35. What spacers do I need to make them fit? I know it's possible as I've seen e39's driving on them. 

My understanding of ETs and such is rubbish, but I would say that you may need spacers of about 15mm maximum.

Based on the assumption that the car is ET14 already (?) and the new wheels you've mentioned are ET35 and therefore to have 6mm of space/leeway 15mm spacers would be correct?

I'll be proven wrong soon enough so I'll keep my coat ready...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need 15-25mm hubcentric spacers along with their correct, lengthened wheel bolts, depending on how much you want them to sit flush with the arches. IMO, 15-20mm will be more than enough

But, I doubt that the Rota's have the correct centre bore, so the spacers will more than likely need to be 74.1 to 72.6 or, you'll need spigot rings. Best to ask the main UK reseller 'RareRims' for the full tech details of the alloys and on;t just let whoever is selling them send you their 'fitting kit'!

If they're 9x17 all round; are you going to run 255/40/17 tyres all round too? They'll be fine on the rear and should be ok on the front, but there could be some rubbing, more so if your cars lowered

On 20/04/2017 at 7:53 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

You'll need 15-25mm hubcentric spacers along with their correct, lengthened wheel bolts, depending on how much you want them to sit flush with the arches. IMO, 15-20mm will be more than enough

But, I doubt that the Rota's have the correct centre bore, so the spacers will more than likely need to be 74.1 to 72.6 or, you'll need spigot rings. Best to ask the main UK reseller 'RareRims' for the full tech details of the alloys and on;t just let whoever is selling them send you their 'fitting kit'!

If they're 9x17 all round; are you going to run 255/40/17 tyres all round too? They'll be fine on the rear and should be ok on the front, but there could be some rubbing, more so if your cars lowered

The suspension is standard height at the moment. I was thinking about stretching the tires a bit and getting them on a 45 profile. I got 235/40/18 now and there's plenty of space left. 15 to 20 mm spacers was what I suspected. Just wasnt' exactly sure if the et 35 offset would fit as using spacers might make the wheel go out too much. I could give them a call and ask if they do them in different cb's and maybe see if they know how to make it work on a 5 series.

Well; if they're standard 72.6 centre bore, you'll need the above spacers as above

If they're a larger bore; you'll need the correct spigot rings

In my advice as well; I'd stay away from stretched tyres...