535iAR

DAB no signal

13 posts in this topic

Car radio sits 90% of the time tuned to DAB BBC Radio 2.

Switched radio on this morning, no sound and in the idrive screen it says No signal up in the top.

Switched radio off and back on, no sound.

Switched car off and back on, switched radio on, no sound.

I then test that my iPod is working, it is so thats o.k.

I then think to check that FM is working, and I get Chris Evans on Radio 2. Park up at the station and press the favourite 2 button and sure enough DAB BBC Radio 2 is now playing.

I thought that if the tuner couldn't get DAB it defaulted to FM, but didn't in this case. It's not like I was in a signal black spot. Did the DAB signal fall over this morning or did my tuner just throw its toys out the pram?

I'll skip the obvious Radio 2 jibe.

Mine seems to have stopped automatically switching lately. I think it's because I've been listening via the DAB selector as opposed to the saved station selector (or any other route). My reasoning being that by selecting DAB specifically it may behave differently to just choosing a station (with DAB as an initial preference). This made more sense in my head. I still haven't tested the theory.

1 hour ago, jannism said:

I'll skip the obvious Radio 2 jibe.

Feck off!:P

I got pelters for listening to Radio 1 too!

jannism likes this

I think the FM default when no DAB is a user config option in idrive, not sure though.............

Edited by nashdm2

I think you are right and I'm sure I set that up. Didn't check that yesterday.

But saying that it was fine last night and fine this morning.

Must just be one of those things......

That thought did go thro my mind.

Have to say it worked seamlessly this morning. In fact, it's back to it's old ways of working perhaps too well. I get to hear the same phrase repeatedly from whomever happens to be speaking at the time (on Radio 4, of course :rolleyes:) as it lurches from DAB to FM and then back to DAB, while I wend my way through the hills and lanes of inconsistent-radio-signal-land.

Maybe they managed to shut the shouty ginger up for ten minutes, but then again no.  Radio X is the way to go, good coverage everywhere I go.

20 hours ago, jannism said:

Have to say it worked seamlessly this morning. In fact, it's back to it's old ways of working perhaps too well. I get to hear the same phrase repeatedly from whomever happens to be speaking at the time (on Radio 4, of course :rolleyes:) as it lurches from DAB to FM and then back to DAB, while I wend my way through the hills and lanes of inconsistent-radio-signal-land.

Where abouts are you in the country?  Are you some where hilly and the signal drops in and out or are you at the boundary for the DAB regions.

When I first had an issue with my DAB it was because the car was tuned to DAB area for North Scotland/Aberdeen (and not set up for auto switching to FM) and I was 50 miles away from the English border so no wonder it struggled as it was 250 miles away from the signal it was looking for.  I re-tuned it to DAB Central Scotland and all has been well since.

21 hours ago, jannism said:

I get to hear the same phrase repeatedly from whomever happens to be speaking at the time (on Radio 4, of course :rolleyes:) as it lurches from DAB to FM and then back to DAB.

Yes, the constant swapping of bands does repeat words and lyrics a lot, gets on my nerves a bit.

Where abouts are you in the country? 

The foothills of the Mendips in Somerset. DAB signal is extremely patchy for many miles in all directions.