Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanray

Coolant leak advice please

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

so I found that my water level had dipped a bit today, took the car on a 40 mile return journey, temp gauge as normal in the middle and greeted with this when I lifted the bonnet.

im going to remove the pipe on the left side of the road (non expansion) and check it for leaks etc, I also found coolant in the left side wheel arch and on the underside so I'm think rad is duff, anyone seen this before.

car is 2000 523i 84k miles, rad and gearbox cooler have never been changed as far as I can tell.

also recommend replacement parts as well, cheers guys...

F03B1499-AF63-4463-A08B-01C69E491839.JPG

IMG_3781.MOV

60A60E46-A34C-4AA6-B12A-E3B0A870C839.JPG

More than likely a hairline crack under that connection

Very common place for the rad to go (had it on a previous E38 728i and my previous 530i)!

Behr or Nissens rads via eBay are about as good as you'll get for c£100; may as well change both the top/bottom hoses, stat, water pump and belts whilst it's all out TBH

BMWMotormec or C3BMW resellers are excellent, as are 'mister auto and kmpartsonline etc...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSENS-Engine-Cooling-Radiator-fits-BMW-5-Series-525i-530i-/291796974188?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item43f0747a6c:g:exwAAOSwnNBXZqne

All part numbers to be found here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/partgrp?id=DT62-EUR-04-2002-E39-BMW-530i

Type in BMW 'part number' into eBay search and that'll bring the parts up for you :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Yeah that's what I was thinking, as I'm hose seems ok but amount of water is too great for a small hose leak, cheers for the specs etc