mattyv33

03 E39 525d Slow acceleration and lots of smoke

36 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Pick up a new MAF, definitely. The car will run on 'preset' values but it won't be optimal at all.

I was reading around about much more affordable and supposedly even better MAF than the OE one... details here:

With the 'WEEKEND55' code on Euro Car Parts this weekend you can pick one up for just £55. Search on their site for the product code 434220200. You'll need a torx 'security' type tool (which is the torx bolt pattern but with a hole in the middle) as it appears to just be the MAF element that is supplied, not the entire housing.

I've read all 5 pages, seems likes dream solution!

3 hours ago, Clavurion said:

I would stick with the original Bosch because the working profile on Pierburgs is different. CLICK

I see you commented on that thread chicaneuk and you seem to be the only one disagreeing....people had good results even after a few years. I can't see a negative in doing this swap....

To be fair, I was just regurgitating information I've read as a pretty new E39 owner. Clavurion, from what I've seen, really knows what he's talking about... so I'd only opt for the Pierburg MAF if I was on a budget given you can pick it up for like 1/3 of the price of the genuine Bosch one!

I've just ordered a brand new Bosch MAF, at least I know it will work properly - bought a full service kit too, oil, air filter, oil filter etc so going to get that fitted this weekend. 

Had to put my alloy refurbishment and paint issues to one side. 

Will update the thread when I have fitted the new Bosch MAF.

chicaneuk likes this

2 hours ago, mattyv33 said:

I see you commented on that thread chicaneuk and you seem to be the only one disagreeing....people had good results even after a few years. I can't see a negative in doing this swap....

I would put this in the same category as the power boxes fouling rail pressure sensor giving a lower value compared to actual to get higher rail pressure and hence power.

22 hours ago, Clavurion said:

I would put this in the same category as the power boxes fouling rail pressure sensor giving a lower value compared to actual to get higher rail pressure and hence power.

Yeah I thought about it more and couldn't see any real benefits to fitting a part that wasn't supposed to be fitted.

Just hope the Bosch maf cures the problem. 

I did plan to but went out Friday and had stuff to do Sat and today - definitely doing it next week, my maf should arrive tomorrow all being well.

I was going to do an engine flush but have read it's not advisable.. 

12 minutes ago, mattyv33 said:

I was going to do an engine flush but have read it's not advisable.. 

I flushed my engine with 6 litres of diesel when axle seal on HP pump failed. No problems. :lol: