mattyv33

03 E39 525d Slow acceleration and lots of smoke

36 posts in this topic

I have tried a couple of cleaners after reading various threads - tried some injector cleaner in the fuel tank and tithe maf cleaner that you spray into the air filter whilst revving.

The spray seemed to help with the smoke but not the power. It lasted a week and now when you put your foot down it throes out an embarrassing amount of black smoke.

The guy I bought it from said it had been remapped so I would expect it to be a lot faster but the power just isn't there. The turbo seems to kick in around the 3000 mark but up until then there's no power.

My partners 2.2 CLA with 174bhp is a lot faster and what I would expect mine to be around especially with a remap but it just isn't.

I'm thinking either the injectors need cleaning or maybe something to do with the MAF?

I also bought and fitted a kit off ebay to delete the EGR but that doesn't seem to have done anything with the power or smoke.

So I am a bit stuck. 

It's going into the paint shop again at the end of the month to have a few bits done aswell as spraying my splitter and refurbing my wheels. Oh and new tyres so I'm expecting at least a £700 bill. Hoping its not going to cost a lot to sort as I've already spent nearly 1k on getting it perfect.

Thought I'd post on here for some ideas, I do like to do stuff myself so any pointers would be great!

Fault codes and live data while driving. Boost or MAF problem likely causes. You can try how it behaves with MAF connector unplugged. You can also check if the turbo vacuum control is working at all. Without removing anything you can see the vacuum bell on turbo. Rod on the bell should pull the turbo guide vanes closed when engine is started.

Humbly would suggest hanging onto the money for the paintwork, and sorting the mechanical issues out first! No point in a car looking great, if it's driving like a dog. 

Correct thing to do really would be get it diagnostic scanned.. I've spent a bit of time in recent weeks reading up on various issues and there's a lot of things to consider on these cars. Could be any number of things, and rather than throwing money troubleshooting an unknown issue, might as well getting actual diagnostics done to point you in the right direction :)

As above, get the fault codes read but check the basics too, if the black smoke is accompanied by a hissing sound then you could have a split boost pipe or knackered intercooler, also, give the vacuum lines a look over, they like to degrade and split on the m57 engine.

It drives fine, just not a lot of power and the smoke issue - I'll get the codes read then and see what's said. 

The guy I bought it from said it's always been like that but there's got to be something wrong for it to chuck out all black smoke. 

I tried finding the MAF sensor this morning to disconnect but couldn't see it - suppose it's under the engine cover somewhere. 

You can you can access the connector just by removing the frontal part of the engine cover which is just a couple of bolts. Then bit of a squeeze under the left part of the engine cover but easy enough to disconnect.

mattyv33 likes this

I'd start by inspect the entire intake path for a boost leak (look for greasy/oily spots on hoses, intercooler etc).

3 hours ago, Carlton said:

I'd start by inspect the entire intake path for a boost leak (look for greasy/oily spots on hoses, intercooler etc).

There is a hose at the front right of the engine near the passenger headlight that has a spray of oil on it, I wondered where it had come from - I cleaned it all off when I purchased the car but noticed this morning it was back!

Will take a picture tomorrow - this could be contributing to the issue as described above.

If it's like mine that's a leak coming from the power steering reservoir cap, which is apparently an extremely common problem on these motors. 

Yeah silly question I know...

Want to disconnect it and see if it makes a difference.

This is the oil spatter 

20170420_103325.jpg

Also noticed this when I took the front cover off - that piece of metal mesh that looks like it should go in that pipe?

20170420_103316.jpg

Cheers

jonbill likes this

Oil spatter seems to be from the PAS reservoir - I have similar with mine, except more oil sitting around there too. Apparently a new cap and gasket from BMW should sort that out?

As for the MAF sensor plug.. was struggling to find a picture. This is the best I could dig up:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi20.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb228%2FLyallM%2FMAF.jpg&key=cb2ef72d0f44ed00f2121286a1830e130b4a2bb63623fd6be3c9d3c610a5b7c5

The plug / connector right in front of that bolt in front of the oil filler hole..

4 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Oil spatter seems to be from the PAS reservoir - I have similar with mine, except more oil sitting around there too. Apparently a new cap and gasket from BMW should sort that out?

As for the MAF sensor plug.. was struggling to find a picture. This is the best I could dig up:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi20.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb228%2FLyallM%2FMAF.jpg&key=cb2ef72d0f44ed00f2121286a1830e130b4a2bb63623fd6be3c9d3c610a5b7c5

The plug / connector right in front of that bolt in front of the oil filler hole..

Thanks for that, I did see that but was looking for a round maf instead of the oval one I have...

This sounds even more stupid - I bought a can of the MAF cleaner that you spray into your air filter while revving and sprayed it into what I thought was the air filter while my wife revved it - turns out I mistook the cabin filter for the air filter!! :rolleyes: I wondered why it stunk of the MAF cleaner inside..it still does after 3 weeks! What a waste of £9.

Anyway I have disconnected the MAF sensor and driven home - it feels faster and the smoke isn't as bad but it still chucks out a fair bit of black when you floor it. Also that mesh that has come out of the EGR pipe has made the car sound like it has no exhaust. Wonder if that's to do with the power issue now that I have disconnected the MAF? It only happened today, I blanked the EGR off a few weeks ago and the high pressure looks to of blown the mesh out of the pipe which is now not sealed. I will have to buy a manifold blank I guess and completely remove the EGR pipe.

Edited by mattyv33

It looks like you have a leak in the EGR system, there's soot on the timing cover and on the intake hose (on your last picture). Oily deposits might be power steering but it might well be intake related as well.

Get this kit and blank it off completely, looks like someones already done an EGR cooler delete on your car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-E39-520d-525d-530d-EGR-Valve-Delete-Bypass-Blanking-Blank-Tube-Fix-Kit-/222309805933?hash=item33c2b26f6d:g:ZjsAAOSwcLxYI1Ry

Edited by IINexusII

19 minutes ago, IINexusII said:

Get this kit and blank it off completely, looks like someones already done an EGR cooler delete on your car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-E39-520d-525d-530d-EGR-Valve-Delete-Bypass-Blanking-Blank-Tube-Fix-Kit-/222309805933?hash=item33c2b26f6d:g:ZjsAAOSwcLxYI1Ry

Na he will have a pre facelift.

54 minutes ago, 530d titansport said:

My pre facelift dont have the cooler and is auto

Yes, but looking at title we are talking about 03 525d. Same thing with swirl flaps which came only to post 3/2000 models with auto gearbox.

2 hours ago, IINexusII said:

It was me who did the EGR delete and this is the exact kit I fitted - I had a couple of parts left over which must of been to blank the manifold off, strange as it never mentioned blanking off at the manifold.

Drove to work this morning and the car was fine! Hardly any smoke and it pulled well in all gears, the turbo kicked in a lot earlier and it held the revs for longer. Does this mean a new maf?

Loving the car now, will it do any damage if I run with the MAF disconnected?

Pick up a new MAF, definitely. The car will run on 'preset' values but it won't be optimal at all.

I was reading around about much more affordable and supposedly even better MAF than the OE one... details here:

With the 'WEEKEND55' code on Euro Car Parts this weekend you can pick one up for just £55. Search on their site for the product code 434220200. You'll need a torx 'security' type tool (which is the torx bolt pattern but with a hole in the middle) as it appears to just be the MAF element that is supplied, not the entire housing.

Edited by chicaneuk