Lennox

2nd car???? Golf R, Focus RS, C4S????

17 posts in this topic

Well the wife's squarely got the family car, so for the past 3 years I have been relegated to the 2nd car driver.

Currently have the GTD and it's been a complete surprise. I had ordered a cheap lease deal for an E350 AMG Premium plus, but when that fell through I ended up needing a stop gap, and the GTDs been here almost 3 years!!

So it's time to change, but what?? I only do about 5k in this car and it needs to be able to take me and a suitcase to the airport, act as a 2nd car for dropping kids off on occasion and that's about it. In want to budget about £300- £350 plus I can fling in about £10k cash if required. I either want a lease so I can get out cleanly at 2 years or buy something very special that won't depreciate too much.

So on the list for test drive are:

- Golf R 7.5

- Focus RS

- Audi S3

- C4S 996 or 997 (2002-2006)

- C63

- E63

- F10 M5

Or keep the 535d (new wheels, mapped, wrap?!?) for myself and lease her the Q7 she wants!?

Ideas on a post card please!

In this order...Golf (unless you're bored with the look), S3, or keep the 535d unless you're lusting for an M5.

A Q7?? They're massive, take up 2.5 parking spaces which means you can't open the doors fully to get kids in and out if they're nippers. If they're big enough to get in and out themselves they'll likely ding the doors for you.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Lennox likes this

Might struggle to get the kids in the back of a c4s depending on age, there's some cheap lease deals on the golf R. I recently dipped my toe into leasing but decided to get a Nissan leaf instead as already have a E39 M5 and saphh cosworth and tbh it's working out greatas a daily driver.

Lennox likes this

4 hours ago, paulie031 said:

Might struggle to get the kids in the back of a c4s depending on age, there's some cheap lease deals on the golf R. I recently dipped my toe into leasing but decided to get a Nissan leaf instead as already have a E39 M5 and saphh cosworth and tbh it's working out greatas a daily driver.

They are 6 months and 3 in Summer.....   Not sure I could do a Leaf, you have a garage of fun, i dont so it need to be a fun toy. 

5 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

In this order...Golf (unless you're bored with the look), S3, or keep the 535d unless you're lusting for an M5.

A Q7?? They're massive, take up 2.5 parking spaces which means you can't open the doors fully to get kids in and out if they're nippers. If they're big enough to get in and out themselves they'll likely ding the doors for you. emoji6.png

The Q7 is smaller than the GLS i wanted to buy her, lol.    We need an occasional 7 seater and she doesn't do well with small powered cars so the XC90 is out.... to quote  "a 2 litre, eh i think not".   So the Main car I think is sorted, though I was a Velar!!  

Yeah the Golf R is my main target,  One mate just got a murdered out 3dr (still to see it) and another has just order an estate version of the R (£304 on a 3*23 in vat!!! from Listers VW)  So i have a few friendly test drives lined up soon!!  

Do really fancy an M5 though,,,,   If only they did an F11!!!

335d??? M3??? C63??? RS4??? G500???

Auto trader is so dangerous!!!

One of my guys at work has just bought himself a Golf R. Having been mercilessly ribbed by me for suffering from Alfaitis, he bought a decent motor at last. This thing is a pocket rocket, the DSG works very well in it when at full chat, sub 5 seconds to 60. Impressive stuff indeed. Pity it's only a four pot, that amount of power to me needs to be delivered by 6 cylinders just for reliability....

He now has no excuse for not turning up at work now.

pidgeonpost likes this

I've owned Mk 1, 3, and 5 Golfs - all plain cooking models. Not exciting, but I got my itch for that scratched by bikes in those days. Was always impressed by Golf build and reliability. Never owned a quick one but came close to buying a Golf VR6 - interesting design - very narrow V, and cylinders fire like a straight 6. Nice exhaust note on that too.

^It's a 15 deg V isnt it? It only has a single albeit wide cylinder head, if iirc.

Tried to get the wife to buy a TT with that engine when she went thru a phase of wanting a TT. Thankfully it didn't last long and she went for a supercharged Merc instead!

^It's a 15 deg V isnt it? It only has a single albeit wide cylinder head, if iirc.

Tried to get the wife to buy a TT with that engine when she went thru a phase of wanting a TT. Thankfully it didn't last long and she went for a supercharged Merc instead!

^ Yes, the two banks of 3 overlap slightly making for a very compact V6.

VW also made (possibly still make?) a W12 engine by nailing two VR6 engines together. Believe they developed it into a 6 litre lump pushing out around 600bhp. Some interesting engine formats around. I once saw this car at a vintage meeting. 24 litres - they interviewed the driver who said it was like always driving on ice.

Yeah the W12 engine, explained in a magazine article I read years ago as two Golf VR6 engines nailed together, I kept it as it had a terrific cut away section thro the engine. It had four Cats. 12 cylinders in a very compact layout. It was in the flagship Audi A8 as used in The Transporter 2. Also used in a Bentley, Mibbies??

Proper engine!

Hoi, how does a chat re VW engines help me decide?!? Seriously you would think this was a public car forum or something?!?

Had a VR6 demo years back, in fact it was a 1994 Highline edition, Jesus I'm old!!! It was reddish purple with reddish purple leather. Loved it. Got into a race one night with a Carlton 3000GSI and out drove him through some twistes from Stirling to Drymen..... anyway next day the company owner came into the office and said, "what tool nearly killed me in my Carlton last night".

Well let's say I took it like a man, if hiding under your desk and self preservation is manly!?!?

Had a ride in a W12 Bentayga a few months back, amusing performance and noise at speeds really only safely possible on a private track. Pointless car though, really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Had a ride in a W12 Bentayga a few months back, amusing performance and noise at speeds really only safely possible on a private track. Pointless car though, really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pointless? Why?

Errrrrrrrrr,,,,, Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhkkkkaayyyyyyyyy......

So going on that analogy, was the Mclaren F1 even worse....

:rolleyes:

Lennox likes this

As stated by others.. r line golf is awesome for out the box fun, but for the low miles you do...it would be C63 for me...the noise....oh the noise.. I had my neighbours for a couple of hours a few weeks ago and headed straight for the Clyde tunnel...

Lennox likes this