syncrofred

Driving test changes

44 posts in this topic

I heard on the news that the driving test is going to drop the reversing around a bend.  Does this mean that even fewer drivers will be able to back up without mounting the kerb?

I think the "turn in the road using forward and reverse gears only" has also been dropped too.

But part of the test now is to follow a sat nav.

So we are dumbing it down to tell new drivers it is ok to blindly follow a sat nav.....give me strength. 

Or is it just me who is old enough (just) to have passed the old skool test before the introduction of the two part/computer bit and I don't get it.

paulie031 likes this

One of the things I heard mention was of there perhaps being a 2 or 3 part test where there were restrictions on the carrying of passengers and on night driving. Also of there being something like 'go back to square one' for certain offences committed prior to be fully qualified. Still need something to deter the idiots who do get a full licence though. Can't remember the last time I saw a Police patrol pull someone in. As for speed limits, don't get me started...

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we should have a refresher test every 5 or so years! 

As as for the "how to follow a sat-nav" bit that just means there will be more people cutting chevrons as they don't understand meters......

fucking idiots! 

Vlady likes this

32 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we should have a refresher test every 5 or so years! 

As as for the "how to follow a sat-nav" bit that just means there will be more people cutting chevrons as they don't understand meters......

fucking idiots! 

Why should the majority have to retest every 5 years for the stupid minority ? Just ban the bloody  idiots ....

Edit ... also the idiots will still drive and do the same crap .... just the majority will suffer as per normal.

Edited by Carl-e34
Mr_530i likes this

Because the driving standards are fucking shit across the board! 

You our are obviously a shit driver if you've a problem with needing a retest/refresh test......

3 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Because the driving standards are fucking shit across the board! 

You our are obviously a shit driver if you've a problem with needing a retest/refresh test......

Typical Liberal response .... never had points or any issue ... since 1985 !!! why screw the majority for the shitty minority ? 

Also it's NOT the minority! I'd say at least 70% of the drivers are shit drivers! 

Carl-e34 likes this

1 minute ago, Carl-e34 said:

Typical Liberal response .... never had points or any issue ... since 1985 !!! why screw the majority for the shitty minority ? 

So fucking what! No points just means you've not been caught! 

And IF you're as good as you say you are then you would have no issues with doing a retest....

Just now, Yokozuna said:

So fucking what! No points just means you've not been caught! 

And IF you're as good as you say you are then you would have no issues with doing a retest....

Night night Sir .. Swearing is pretty low .... and another Liberal trait. 

StRaNgEdAyS likes this

5 minutes ago, Carl-e34 said:

Night night Sir .. Swearing is pretty low .... and another Liberal trait. 

Later, loser! 

:lol: 

Wow ... Plus most of the stupid idiots have no licence .... :blink: fact ... So would not retest anyway ? :lol:

There's these things called police officers and they would stop cars all the time and hand out massive punishments to the offenders! 

I understand that it would be a massive task but surely it would be better system than we have now? Also maybe a little safer? 

How much would you pay for your child to be safe.....

The Police cannot deal with crime already, lack of funds/person power etc so nothing would change ... But the majority would be paying for the idiots again,

I'm all for protect children/old folks etc ... but the Police need to target the cause ....not make the majority pay for the idiots. 

Edited by Carl-e34
Doddy666 and StRaNgEdAyS like this

I knew that was coming! And I did say it would be a massive task! 

It could NOT be done with the facilities that are in place now and maybe, just maybe a portion of the retest would fund the services needed? 

Just saying......

;) 

Also you seem to think its the majority of drivers are sound! 

I disagree, I'd say the majority of drivers are the bad drivers! 

13 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Also you seem to think its the majority of drivers are sound! 

I disagree, I'd say the majority of drivers are the bad drivers! 

9 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

There's these things called police officers and they would stop cars all the time and hand out massive punishments to the offenders! 

I understand that it would be a massive task but surely it would be better system than we have now? Also maybe a little safer? 

How much would you pay for your child to be safe.....

So, you are literally recommending the reintroduction of the so-called 'sus; (stop under suspicion) which was scrapped in 1981, under your regime you would be happy to be pulled on a regular basis?

The police DO stop driers they actually see breaking the law, normally speeding as that is the easiest one to prove and prosecute, they also stop people they are strongly believe might be drunk, under the effects of alcohol or driving a defective vehicle. How do you propose they weed out 'shit' drivers without seeing them driving badly. Similarly if a car is legally on the road i.e. according to the PNC it is taxed, insured and MOT'd how are they supposed to suspect the gimp behind the wheel is actually unlicenced?

An ACTIVE Police presence on the roads in my rural area would be a start as you can have all the regulations you like but if there's no enforcement what's the point? Many drivers speed or otherwise drive badly because they know that the chances of being pulled are low, and other obvious offences like no RFL don't get picked up. My neighbour's car has been parked on the road for months with no front number plate. Another heap with no tax or MOT has been in occasional use on this busy A-road which has a 50mph limit but 60+ is the norm, way more than that when the evening dickheads come out. Police vehicles use this road 24x7 but are presumably on a mission elsewhere.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, pauliexjr said:

So, you are literally recommending the reintroduction of the so-called 'sus; (stop under suspicion) which was scrapped in 1981, under your regime you would be happy to be pulled on a regular basis?

Yep! 

Ive nothing to hide! 

Like I said in another post, it would be tough to enforce but I'm sure there's the technology to be able to do it? 

Also if the penalties where harsh then that would weed out the chancer's and you would be left with a "minority" of hard core illegal drivers instead of people pushing their luck! 

Which in turn would free up officers to seek out the bad eggs,

its not a perfect solution but I still think we would be heading in the right direction if a retest system was introduced....

Hi,

I'd also agree with 5 year refresher tests as well. A relatively simple and easier to manage along with not very costly way to implement things would be to make it voluntary. A driver applies on the DVLA website for a refresh test and upon passing is issued with a number/reference and that is logged on the DVLA records. Drivers who choose not to take a refresher won't have a record and when they take out insurance, their premiums attract a higher rate. 

This would make it fair on all drivers as it's up to them to apply. It wouldn't cost much to implement and best of all, it'd begin to alter the mindset of the driving public on the whole and that should mean better driving standards and fewer issues/accidents. The UK does have good standards when compared to the rest of the world, when you begin to narrow down to perhaps European countries then we do lag somewhat. 

Over the next 5,10,15+ years, as more and more autonomous cars begin to be available for anyone to buy, there'll be less need for drivers licenses and thus, the 'skill' of driving will gradually erode. Being able to understand and program SatNav routes is perhaps the first step towards that. Apple in effect have just announced to the world that they intend on entering the autonomous/self driving cars sector over the last week or so officially. There's been speculation for a few years now. For people where car driving is just a means of moving around, you just know a significant number are going to sign up immediately for a 36 month 'Plan' to have an autonomous car sitting outside as it's from 'Apple' !

Cheers, Dennis!

5 year refresher what does it entail? I'm pretty good at using a sat nav tbh. Having a refresher is not going to change people's attitude in driving selfishly, need to get somewhere before anyone else etc.

Mr_530i likes this

Here they use NPR tech in the police cars, where just by driving past a vehicle, it reads the plate. Almost instantly, if the vehicle is unregistered, or the registered owner is unlicensed or on a licence suspension, a flag pops up alerting the officer.

As to the 5 year retest, people will just drive decently on the test and then become twats again the minute they step out of the department of transport.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

7 hours ago, StRaNgEdAyS said:

Here they use NPR tech in the police cars, where just by driving past a vehicle, it reads the plate. Almost instantly, if the vehicle is unregistered, or the registered owner is unlicensed or on a licence suspension, a flag pops up alerting the officer.

As to the 5 year retest, people will just drive decently on the test and then become twats again the minute they step out of the department of transport.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

The UK Police have ANPR technology as well and they use it, however, if a car is totally legal, but the driver is a bad driver APNR is not going to flag this. Similarly if the driver is drunk or stoned, again, unless they actually do something wrong, run a red light, make an illegal turn, speed in a built up area AND actually get seen by the Police APNR isn't going to solve anything.

I think Dennis's idea of retest every 10 years and benefitting by a reduction in insurance is sound, unfortunately getting the insurance companies to agree to this is very unlikely.

The alternative is compulsory testing which is going to cost, either the Government (unlikely) or the driver (most probably)