OTTOMAN

F10 520d Exhaust fumes in cabin

So I have noticed that exhaust fumes are making there way into the cabin (2012 520d manual)

1. I changed the pollen filters first hoping that would be the fix 
  2. The problem is still evident so sat with the car idling, I turned on the air re-circulation and fumes go from cabin
  3. Also when driving the fumes go completely from air flow
  4. I am 80% sure its not the exhaust system leaking into the engine bay from doing various checks.
  5. I think its coming from the area that I have highlighted in the pictures

Does anyone know what this pipe is for? it has a very large diameter and the clamp that holds it on is very loose. The exhaust gases definitely seem to be coming from this general area, I have also tried to look for tell tail sooty marks but there are none.  Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated! 

5 series 1.jpg

5 series 2.jpg

Not sure mate, and by the sounds of it neither are you so the best advice I can give you is take it to a garage asap. The car you are driving is becoming a danger to your health if it's leaking exhaust fumes into the cabin. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I am sure there are a number of threads already about this and in the main the fix is a new exhaust manifold as they can develop very small cracks that cause this issue. Take a search and see what you can find.

2012 520d N47

This is still an ongoing problem, the fumes do not enter the cabin when the re circulation button is pressed (leave this on most of the time) 

I removed the air filter pipework, turbo intake pipework and exhaust manifold heat shield to get a better look. I used a good light source with a really good mirror and inspected all these areas as well as the EGR valve/cooler. The only soot build up I can find is around a coolant union bellow the EGR cooler (the picture included does not show the soot on the coolant union as I had cleaned it off) on closer inspection I could see some soot under the cooler body. 

Any input welcome! I bloody wish there was a Haynes manual for the f10 or some kind of maintenance manual. 

IMG_4209.JPG

1 minute ago, IINexusII said:

Have you looked at the fuel injectors for leaks?

That is one area that I have not looked, will have a look tomorrow. 

I used to reckon my old 520d did this, and I'm not convinced the 530d doesn't - but the pressure from the exhaust if you block it is significant so I can't think it's a leak ...?

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

As mentioned 3 months earlier, exhaust fumes in the cabin are dangerous, get it properly checked out at a garage who can access all parts up on a ramp.

What he said ^^^^

From your description I suggest it is the crankcase ventilation system leaking. My old Vectra started doing the same when standing still and idling and I found the tiniest crack in the crankcase breather pipe. With our modern day cars the system is far more involved than a simple rubber pipe but that is where I would start looking. (But get it to a garage asap, Exhaust gases are noxious )

I appreciate your concern people, but I am an engineer with access to a ramp. The car has not been used much in 3 months as I have been away. I refuse to send it to a garage as they will only do what I am doing and charge me. 

As as I said when recirc fan is on there are zero fumes, also zero fumes when car is moving. Only happenes when car is stationary for a period of time. 

I do appreciate the advice. 

Problem sorted, after an extensive search I have found that the oil breather pipe to be cracked. So was oil fumes rather than exhaust. 

Pipe replaced problem no more! 

6 minutes ago, OTTOMAN said:

I didn't take a picture but I will do and post so other people are aware of the problem pipe. 

Stand by! 

A "how to" write up would be useful......

So the problem has returned which is really frustrating. After another extensive search to find the problem I have failed to find what the cause is. 

There are visible exhaust leaks coming from the manifold to the egr supply pipe and also the turbo vane actuator linkage. I have also checked 2 other N47 engines and they all leak at the same place so this isn’t the problem. 

I am a starting to suspect the EGR cooler as there seems the be a small deposit of soot build up underneath it. I am going to remove and inspect it in the near future. Of course this means draining all the coolant. 

What I do find strange is that the engine bay has a rubber seal running around the whole circumference effectively sealing it off from the cabin fan intake, why are there fumes getting into it at all? I have confirmed that with the bonnet open zero fumes, bonnet closed slight engine load fumes return. 

Pictures and more invest to follow shortly if anyone is interested. 

Almost certainly your EGR cooler unfortunately, mine was intermittent until it got cold recently and then was terrible. 

Sniff the front left corner of the engine on cold start, like inhaling exhaust fumes direct. 

Dont think its a complete coolant drain job but dealer didn't quite complete the bleed cycle fully. Sorted with a bit of driving and my sloping front drive. 

Good luck! 

Edited by SuperDave

4 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Almost certainly your EGR cooler unfortunately, mine was intermittent until it got cold recently and then was terrible. 

Sniff the front left corner of the engine on cold start, like inhaling exhaust fumes direct. 

Dont think its a complete coolant drain job but dealer didn't quite complete the bleed cycle fully. Sorted with a bit of driving and my sloping front drive. 

Good luck! 

Thanks for the reply Dave 

11 hours ago, OTTOMAN said:

There are visible exhaust leaks coming from the manifold to the egr supply pipe and also the turbo vane actuator linkage. I have also checked 2 other N47 engines and they all leak at the same place so this isn’t the problem. 

From that statement, you know of three N47 engines that leak. No engine should be leaking any gasses from those areas. A sign of exhaust gasses from anywhere other than the tail pipe is dangerous and can be an MOT failure.

The EGR leaking is beginning to get noticeable now on theses engines as age and repeated heating and cooling cycles take their toll on the components and they begin to slowly fail.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:45 AM, 535i Andrew said:

From that statement, you know of three N47 engines that leak. No engine should be leaking any gasses from those areas. A sign of exhaust gasses from anywhere other than the tail pipe is dangerous and can be an MOT failure.

The EGR leaking is beginning to get noticeable now on theses engines as age and repeated heating and cooling cycles take their toll on the components and they begin to slowly fail.

We have a bit of kit at work called an LEL meter which is designed to detect dangerous gases. Our one has an external probe so can be placed in the tightest of locations. When placed near the two known leaking spots (as I have mentioned about) there is no reading at all. When placed close to the egr cooler it goes crazy and the alarm sounds for dangerous gases detected. There is a crack somewhere on the back of it. 

I am going to remove the egr cooler and and try to find the crack visually, if I cant then I will pressurise it. If it does not hold pressure then I know there is 100% a leak, in that case I will weld the crack and refit (if I can find it). There is also a chance that the egr cooler case has gone porus. Worse case scenario is a new egr cooler, fortunately I can purchase bmw parts for cost price.  

For anyone that’s interested this is what our LEL meter looks like. We use ours for measuring gasses inside aircraft fuel tanks. 

D8A8EF7B-1BEA-4814-8E13-8874492F0DB8.png

Edited by OTTOMAN

On 12/10/2017 at 12:57 PM, OTTOMAN said:

We have a bit of kit at work called an LEL meter which is designed to detect dangerous gases. Our one has an external probe so can be placed in the tightest of locations. When placed near the two known leaking spots (as I have mentioned about) there is no reading at all. When placed close to the egr cooler it goes crazy and the alarm sounds for dangerous gases detected. There is a crack somewhere on the back of it. 

I am going to remove the egr cooler and and try to find the crack visually, if I cant then I will pressurise it. If it does not hold pressure then I know there is 100% a leak, in that case I will weld the crack and refit (if I can find it). There is also a chance that the egr cooler case has gone porus. Worse case scenario is a new egr cooler, fortunately I can purchase bmw parts for cost price.  

Would be very interested what you find on your egr cooler,  my wife's mini cooper d which also has the N47 1.6 engine appears to have the same problem  exhaust smell briefly in the cabin when it first starts from cold for a few seconds, and so far I have not manage to locate the cause, from your description of your own problem it sounds the same, and as I also own a 520d with a N47 engine whilst my 520d is ok at the moment I would be most interested in your findings & remedy.