OTTOMAN

F10 520d Exhaust fumes in cabin

Have exactly the same problem and the fumes come from the same place as the arrow shows on the OP.  Had it diagnosed and they confirmed what I expected.  

The bypass pipe on the rear of the EGR cooler has sprung a leak on the corrugated part of the pipe at the back of the cooler.  Unfortunately BMW are the only ones that make this part and they only sell it as a unit complete with a new EGR valve and other bits.  It's about £500+ retail but you can usually get about a 15% discount bringing it down to about £440.  BMW quote 1.5 hrs about to replace.  You'll also need 3L of coolant, 2x pipe unions, a metal gasket and just to be safe, the two hex bolts that secure it on to the exhaust side.

Mine's booked in on Saturday to get done!

Edited by Frobius

Car back today. Totally cured and back to normal. There’s quite a bit of soot build up around the acoustic covers and the throttle, but that’s a problem for future Frobius.

I forgot to take pics, but I asked to see the old EGR cooler and where the crack was. As they said, on the bypass pipe on the rear, there are two corrugated sections. Both sections had 1mm x 10mm splits in them. It was no wonder I was getting fumes in the cabin! 

I might change the cabin filters just for good measure now, although I believe they’re only for particulates and so shouldn’t have trapped anything from the exhaust, save for a couple of particles of soot that made it that far.

On 16/12/2017 at 5:48 PM, Frobius said:

Car back today. Totally cured and back to normal. There’s quite a bit of soot build up around the acoustic covers and the throttle, but that’s a problem for future Frobius.

I forgot to take pics, but I asked to see the old EGR cooler and where the crack was. As they said, on the bypass pipe on the rear, there are two corrugated sections. Both sections had 1mm x 10mm splits in them. It was no wonder I was getting fumes in the cabin! 

I might change the cabin filters just for good measure now, although I believe they’re only for particulates and so shouldn’t have trapped anything from the exhaust, save for a couple of particles of soot that made it that far.

Thanks for the update! I am still waiting for the weather to improve to do mine. It obviously seems to be a common problem, the service guy said there had been 128 egr coolers ordered throughout BMW dealership. They won’t admit it will they! More dosh for them! 

Thing is its a massive safety issue given the fact that failure results in cabin air contamination - must be worth asking relevant authorities, I'd like my warranty excess back at any rate... 

+1 for changing cabin filter afterwards 

Edited by SuperDave

My EGR cooler was replaced under a 'quality enhancement' fix during a service this time last year (car was still under warranty). 

It seems that it was not a safety recall otherwise you could still get it done for free outside of warranty.

I have managed to get the EGR cooler out today and as you can see from the pictures there is bypass pipe that is cracked in between the expansion bellows. I am thinking about repairing it but I may buy a new one, still undecided. 

4B95B9C5-0B05-475C-B8CC-4CD986E21A1F.jpeg

6CA8C9EF-3B32-4FBC-AF70-5FEBDADA7CF2.jpeg

32 minutes ago, OTTOMAN said:

I have managed to get the EGR cooler out today and as you can see from the pictures there is bypass pipe that is cracked in between the expansion bellows. I am thinking about repairing it but I may buy a new one, still undecided. 

You can see the soot that's been blown out quite obviously in your picture. How would you fix that, by some form of welding? Was it easy to remove and did you lose coolant? 

In order what I did 

Removed the forward under tray 

Removed the engine cover 

Remove the turbo intake pipe with mass airflow pipe and air plenium 

Drained all the coolant out the lower radiator hose.

Remove the egr cooler

Obviously that’s a very vague overview, I would be happy to write up in a bit more detail if people would like me to. I found it very very easy to remove. 

I think I am going to repair it as I have nothing to loose, if it doesn’t work then I will buy one. I think I have decided on a repair procedure, I can share that as well if anyone is interested? 

2 minutes ago, OTTOMAN said:

In order what I did 

Removed the forward under tray 

Removed the engine cover 

Remove the turbo intake pipe with mass airflow pipe and air plenium 

Drained all the coolant out the lower radiator hose.

Remove the egr cooler

Obviously that’s a very vague overview, I would be happy to write up in a bit more detail if people would like me to. I found it very very easy to remove. 

I think I am going to repair it as I have nothing to loose, if it doesn’t work then I will buy one. I think I have decided on a repair procedure, I can share that as well if anyone is interested? 

Thanks for this and enough detail for me. It is the coolant draining piece that would worry me. Having to refill and making sure it is fully bled as the BMW specification is to vacuum fill the system. I'm interested as to how you'll fix the cracked pipe.

I now defiantly suspect my wifes mini cooper 1.6d N47 engine has the same fault as Otttoman's as hers is also a 2012 year, thank you for showing a detailed picture, I would like to see more detail on removing the egr cooler as the the N47 1.6d will probaly be the same removal procedure, also would like to know if your repair attempt worked, is that cracked part steel !

On 02/02/2018 at 12:40 PM, Oilburner said:

I now defiantly suspect my wifes mini cooper 1.6d N47 engine has the same fault as Otttoman's as hers is also a 2012 year, thank you for showing a detailed picture, I would like to see more detail on removing the egr cooler as the the N47 1.6d will probaly be the same removal procedure, also would like to know if your repair attempt worked, is that cracked part steel !

I will do a write up soon. However I decided that instead of repairing it I will just fit a new one. As I have done the job myself I have saved a fair chunk anyway. I picked the new cooler up today. 

786BFFC3-63C3-4790-BE24-3859FD18A244.jpeg

Nice post and thanks for the write up.

I think this is quite a common fault on BMW's.

I had to weld a leak on my old e61 535d where it had cracked around one of the support brackets and was leaking coolant.

My F11 had to have one replaced under warranty for an "uprated" part as this also was losing coolant.

Thankfully on our BMW's they are easily accessible and anyone competent with a spanner can do the job easily enough. 

On VW's for example they are tucked underneath the exhaust manifold between engine and bulkhead.   Not very nice.

PS: I do not think you have to drain coolant, if I recall you will not lose much when removing the egr cooler.

Look forward to reading your write up on the replacement EGR cooler, do you know if new replacement EGR cooler now been modified to prevent the cracking in future !