pauliexjr

Is this worth it?

'99 525d SE Touring , manual, service history, 12 month MOT, leather, cruise etc. 200k miles, some rust on tailgate and o/s rear arch othe than that looks straiht and solid, £995, good buy or not?

With history, long MOT and under a grand I'd say yes.

Could probably haggle 10 per cent off as well.

Thanks Loadmaster, as for everyone else, 67 views and no other input? Come on folks, it's my little sister who's contemplating this leap into E39 ownership!

Depends on the history and the vibe you get from the seller.

A genuine car wouldn't worry me but if it feels iffy run away.

Mines just ticked over 150 and I hope for a good few more and I hope history and condition will sell it when the time comes.

49 minutes ago, Hogie said:

Sounds like a 500 quid car to me. 

OK, find me a similar spec car at £500 and I'll take it!

I'm thinking £7-800 isn't unreasonable,  £900 tops?

Edited by pauliexjr

It a 17-18 year old BMW diesel with 200k thats rusty, parts are expensive, odds are its gonna need something or more than one thing...... Unless you know the history/owner of this car for say the last 10 years 500 is enough because old BMWs are a gamble ..... at the  price point you are talking only Japanesse as far as I'm concerned, unless she wants a hobby

Edited by Hogie

1 hour ago, Hogie said:

It a 17-18 year old BMW diesel with 200k thats rusty, parts are expensive, odd are its gonna need something or more than one thing...... Unless you know the history/owner of this car for say the last 10 years 500 is enough because old BMWs are a gamble ..... at the  price point you are talking only Japanesse as far as I'm concerned, unless she wants a hobby

This unless she's feeling lucky. 

This could be debated until the cows come home.

It's a car for less than a grand. It's a chance that the buyer takes and it doesn't matter if it's German, Japanese or Martian!

My E39 is coming up to 18 years old this summer. I wouldn't get four figures for it despite it being a two owner car with complete history since day one. I wants for nothing but is worth what might be considered to be 'shed' money.

As said above by Duncan, if the vibe is good and the car is straight, go for it.

I expect that everyday people are spending thousands on newer cares that turn out to be complete money pits and dog's dinners.

We are talking £900 here. Make an offer of £700...!

Edited by Loadmaster