greenelekta

Ford Reminiscing

119 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Nomis said:

Haha. Didn't know they had the cortina or was it the same but called the falcon or something?

  

 They did indeed get Cortinas in Aus with big straight six lumps, In New Zealand they were available with the Essex V6 (and you could get a v8 Granada there), the lucky barstewards!

 

*My Ford nerd side is showing again....

Edited by NWJW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nomis said:

Haha. Didn't know they had the cortina or was it the same but called the falcon or something?

Sure it was a Cortina. Iirc, it was the same colour as my other brother's mk4. But that had a 1.6 engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NWJW said:

 

 I'm pretty sure the 2.3's were actually around 125bhp. And I can remember 2.0 pinto powered Sierras and Granadas being considered quick cars, how times change indeed.

 

As much as that? The Rover 3.5 V8 (1.5 times as big) of similar vintage and pushrods was good for 155 brake which you can get nowadays out of less than 1500cc albeit with a hairdryer bolted to the exhaust system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I would dig out my Sierra V6 Haynes manual to see what the Bhp was of the 2.3 but it isn't published, but what I did notice about the 2.3 Sierra is that it weighs half, that's right 1/2, half of what my fat barsteward F10 max loaded weight is!

 

Quick Google and indeed the 2.3 with super high compression was good for 125bhp. Woooooooooow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^Yep, I had the output of the later (and very rare!) 2.4 in my head. The 2.8 despite being 700cc and a pair of cylinders smaller than a Rover V8 could match it for power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My high school science dept technician had a Granada with the 2.4 V6 in it. To this day it's still the only 2.4 V6 Ford I have ever seen. It was the old 2.3 with the timing gears replaced with a chain, still a single cam in the valley with pushrods!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A guy in the street where I lived growing up had a burgundy 2.4 Ghia and I can remember seeing a black (or possibly dark grey) 2.4 Ghia X about at the same time too. Ford only used it for a very short period before replacing it with the 'I4' DOHC 2.0 litre which funnily enough also made 125bhp (in injection form). I had a mk3 2.0 GLX, still miss it  now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The I4 DOCH fitted to the latter Sierras and Granadas was too little too late. It should have been developed as a 16v engine, but Ford needed to replace the ageing and wheezing Pinto with something quick, but with the days of Sierras and Granadas numbered they didn't want to put too much into it as they knew they needed to develop a 16v 2.0 unit in transverse layout for the wrong wheel drive Mondeo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep agree with the above. The I4 was a good engine, if a little head gaskety but, I remembering it being a hugely torquey engine at the time and was one of the most "modern" fitted other than the Cosworth variants of the time....

What let them engines down I always thought was the shitty electric fans. That engine didn't take too kindly to get hot at all and would blow easily once over heated. IMHO if there was a viscous coupling attached instead, I reckon there would be a lot more of those kicking around today..... Despite its faults, it wasn't too bad of a lump but as has already been said, was too little to late really... The later first generation Zetec's were a far superior engine IMHO.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my fair share of Fords in the past, my first car was a Mk1 Escort 1300 Super that my brother gave to me when I was 15. 

 

Hmmm slot mags lol

Escort1.jpg

 

An Xr3i followed when I was 18.

xr3i3.jpg

 

Then an RS2000 Custom some time later with some nice bits

rs20005.jpg

 

And a little later a 1.6i Ghia Orion with RS Turbo rims and Canoe option :)

orion16i7.jpg

740mick, sshooie and NWJW like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a 2200 HL auto that I did alot of my learning in.  Much maligned but exteremely roomy and was quite a giggle to drive...

sshooie likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 535iAR said:

The I4 DOCH fitted to the latter Sierras and Granadas was too little too late. It should have been developed as a 16v engine, but Ford needed to replace the ageing and wheezing Pinto with something quick, but with the days of Sierras and Granadas numbered they didn't want to put too much into it as they knew they needed to develop a 16v 2.0 unit in transverse layout for the wrong wheel drive Mondeo.

The I4 was originally indeed intended to be a 16v, if you've ever seen one with the head off the pistons each have four little cut-outs as you would find in a 16v engine, I also read that the reason the spark plugs are fitted from the side rather than the top is because it was also intended to be a twin spark engine with another set of plugs on the other side. Ford did put a 16v version later on into the mk5 RS2000 Escort and 2.3 Scorpio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Yep agree with the above. The I4 was a good engine, if a little head gaskety but, I remembering it being a hugely torquey engine at the time and was one of the most "modern" fitted other than the Cosworth variants of the time....

What let them engines down I always thought was the shitty electric fans. That engine didn't take too kindly to get hot at all and would blow easily once over heated. IMHO if there was a viscous coupling attached instead, I reckon there would be a lot more of those kicking around today..... Despite its faults, it wasn't too bad of a lump but as has already been said, was too little to late really... The later first generation Zetec's were a far superior engine IMHO.....

 

 The one I had in my Granada was torquey enough to smash the differential! But yes, the Zetec was a better unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19 April 2017 at 10:37 AM, e60neindanke said:

For @Carl-e34, here's a picture of said Capri.

 

 

Paris_Capri_1700.jpg

 

Seems to sit so well in all that Parisian elegance, doesn't it?

 

That's lovely.

 

The 1700 was a Cologne V4, much better than the 1700 V4 Essex used in Zephyrs and the Ford Pubic (Coarse 'airs). The German V4 was used in the Saaab 96 as well. I once had a go in a German Capri 1300 - that was a tiny V4, same block as the 1500/1700 but with a very short stroke - it revved like a bastard, very smooth and with a very Alfasud/Subaru beat to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sure my brother had a 4.1. But he does live in Australia  

Correct in Australia the mk4 had a 4.1 straight 6

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hamish262001 said:

Correct in Australia the mk4 had a 4.1 straight 6

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It was a while ago. Nice to know my memory isnt playing tricks :)

hamish262001 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks ago I found myself following a Mk. 1 Capri with an age-inappropriate plate - it was too new for the car. And it wore a V8 badge. Huh?

 

Turned out it was imported from South Africa, and had a 302ci V8 in it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A few weeks ago I found myself following a Mk. 1 Capri with an age-inappropriate plate - it was too new for the car. And it wore a V8 badge. Huh?

 

Turned out it was imported from South Africa, and had a 302ci V8 in it!

 

It's called a Capri Perana

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Green_Motors

 

There's a Kiwi that competes in the Targa Tasmania in one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now