d_a_n1979

Car shimmy - 60mph to 80mph'ish - not when braking, only at speed

18 posts in this topic

Am I right in thinking this could be the rear upper arms that need replacing (the big ones with the odd shape to them, not the straight ones); or both?

Part 18 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showparts?id=DT62-EUR-04-2002-E39-BMW-530i&diagId=33_0519

The car brakes fine, no shimmy at all. But, it does vibrate between 60mph and 80mph etc

It's in having some bits done on Wednesday, so I'll ask them to have a good look over the car too!

Edited by d_a_n1979
NuckingFuts likes this

Following. Same/similar issue with mine.

Looked for new/new to me set of paras. Nothing on FB as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you work out where it's coming from?

Could be a number of things, I'd ask them to have a look if the wheels are bent or out of balance and check the prop-shaft, UJs, prop bearing and Guibo as well as the suspension.  

Edited by Oneball

1 hour ago, NuckingFuts said:

Following. Same/similar issue with mine.

Looked for new/new to me set of paras. Nothing on FB as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per your other thread you need to get the wheels milled properly then correct spiggot rings fitted or another set of wheels before you can go any further.

As per your other thread you need to get the wheels milled properly then correct spiggot rings fitted or another set of wheels before you can go any further.

Looking for another set of wheels, then it's going for a root cause check and a service with a reliable friend. Soon gauge the problem and what to change.

Cool, tbh i think 98% of your problems will be the wheels not sitting dead centre on the hubs, i had a set of parrars a while back and it turned out to be a damaged wheel, it had been strightned after being bent on a pothole but the hub had been distorted and caused all sorts of viberations.

NuckingFuts likes this

13 hours ago, Oneball said:

Can you work out where it's coming from?

Could be a number of things, I'd ask them to have a look if the wheels are bent or out of balance and check the prop-shaft, UJs, prop bearing and Guibo as well as the suspension.  

Cheers for that

I've a little list for them to check over whilst they have it etc... It needs both rear valves replacing as both are letting air out (but only if you press them); they keep the tyre pressures well otherwise

I'm hoping that it's either rear wheels/balancing etc or the arms; but will update this more when I've got the car back tomorrow afternoon :roll: 

740mick likes this

I've had this problem on my old E39 and my E46 turned out to be a sticky caliper.  Put your hands near the face of the wheel and if you have more heat from one side than the other then your caliper is sticking.

It's not the calipers

They're not binding at all; already checked

i had shimmy between 60 - 80 mph , changed control arms and its gone .

This was cured on my e38 by changing the shitty eco tyres! Couldn't believe the difference it made.

4 hours ago, ellis23 said:

i had shimmy between 60 - 80 mph , changed control arms and its gone .

Control arms; they the straight arms, or the bent arms?

The ones that always a culprit in e39 , front bent ones with bush.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The issues for me are stemming from the rear; the bent upper arm in the rear is the back one IIRC

Anyways; it's in today, so will report back when I know more!

Turned out to be that the rear alloys really needed to be balanced properly! Everything else looks more or less brand new. It's all had a thorough once over etc

Had new valves fitted to the rear alloys too; both were badly perished

Hairyarse likes this

Yup; better than c£100 on arms and then labour to fit em!