shauney

Dashcam install in F10 - Warning lots of pictures...

17 posts in this topic

So after a post in the "What have you done to your car today?" thread a couple of people wanted to see dashcam install.

Transcend 220 with permanent mount from Amazon and Nextbase wiring kit from Maplin:

Dashcam1.jpg

Power wire goes up in to the gap between trim and windscreen:

Dashcam2.jpg

Runs to the nearside A pillar and crosses over in the gap between the two pieces of trim (red line to show):

Dashcam3.jpg

Wire then goes under the rubber door seal:

dashcam4.jpg

And runs down the door seal to the little panel where the passenger airbag switch is:

Dashcam5.jpg

The switch panel is removed by pulling:

Dashcam6.jpg

And working your way round:

Dashcam7.jpg

When you get all the way the panel just pops off:

Dashcam8.jpg

You can then push the trim to get the wire in to the area behind the glovebox:

Dashcam9.jpg

Piggyback goes to fuse 54. I needed to trim the piggyback slightly for it to fit:

Dashcam10.jpg

Metal framework behind the glovebox gives you a good place for the camera ground:

Dashcam11.jpg

And that's it. Took about 20 minutes to do.

Excellent write up. Thanks. I have a DDPAI M6 plus to hardwire install in my car in the next few days. Do you know if any of the fuses are permanently live? I'd like to setup the parking function on my camera too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, gazzago said:

Excellent write up. Thanks. I have a DDPAI M6 plus to hardwire install in my car in the next few days. Do you know if any of the fuses are permanently live? I'd like to setup the parking function on my camera too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not recommended and I think iirc they all time out around 10-15 minutes in any case. Better buying a power bank and using that.

As sshooie says, if you do find a permanent live then the car will throw up all sorts of error messages.

I have an M6+, and connect it to a Cellink B, in the glove box. Fit and forget, works perfectly (but is expensive).

Many thanks for the write up. Wish I had one fitted today to have caught a suicidal cyclist.

1 hour ago, Pottsy said:

As sshooie says, if you do find a permanent live then the car will throw up all sorts of error messages.

Correct. I fitted a relay for towbar wiring as per Westfalia instructions on my dads F10 and it sensed the electrical load of the Westfalia relay and fired off all sorts of warnings. Had to bin it and buy a different relay to fit direct to battery.  It would do the same with a camera.

It would be simple enough to run a wire from a battery terminal in the boot to the glovebox. 

Nice install and a fine post. How easy was it to get the cable hidden under the top of the A pillar trim? I really struggled with this and went down the windscreen then between the dash and the base of the A pillar.

1 hour ago, 535iAR said:

It would be simple enough to run a wire from a battery terminal in the boot to the glovebox. 

Don't think that will work either. The car will detect a more rapid voltage drop on the battery, and conclude that something was wrong (and go "ding" again).

I put some images in the F10 thread for my install Johnny you can pop the "Airbag" plastic cover off and loosen the torn screen underneath this allows a little movement on the top of the A-Pillar making tucking the cable away a doddle.

Great write up Shauney

Edited by JDR

1 hour ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Nice install and a fine post. How easy was it to get the cable hidden under the top of the A pillar trim? I really struggled with this and went down the windscreen then between the dash and the base of the A pillar.

Thank you :)

It wasn't easy at first but was it a warm day on Sunday when I did it. I originally couldn't get it in to the gap but once a bit of heat got in to the cable and it got a bit more supple I managed to persuade it in to the gap with use of a blunt piece of plastic.

50 minutes ago, Pottsy said:

Don't think that will work either. The car will detect a more rapid voltage drop on the battery, and conclude that something was wrong (and go "ding" again).

Just out of interest do you mean when the car is meant to be off/asleep?

Interesting - did the same on my SLk.  Piece of cake (but then the SLK is somewhat less sophisticated than the F10)  I'll be using this walk-through to put a second mount in the F10.

Many thanks

Brilliant! Thanks for taking the trouble to post the photos.I have a cable taking the same route but then into the lighter socket. Will get a permanent connection kit and follow your instructions.

2 hours ago, 535iAR said:

Just out of interest do you mean when the car is meant to be off/asleep?

Yes.

The car still monitors the battery condition while it is off. A dashcam will drain the battery enough (after about 6 hours or so) such that it will throw a battery drain error - and the car then switches off other services that would normally be on when parked. 

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/77753863-bmw-battery-discharge-and-cellink-battery-b

Edited by Pottsy
sshooie likes this

Great write up for those that have not installed a dashcam yet, the Trancend 220 is a good choice I have had one fitted in our mini cooper since the 220 model first came out, its proven to be very reliable with no issues, I did not hard wire mine in, my reasoning most damage from other vehicles in generaly side damage from people carelessly  up there doors in car parks, also unless you have a rear facing camera as well you wont catch anyone reversing into you whilst parked, the only thing I did to my camera to was  with a black permanent ink felt tip pen to black out the chrome bezel around the lens and black out the writing on the front of camera making it far more invisble when looking at the front window when parked.

I'm considering fitting the same dashcam in my bm, been waiting to see if any new dashcams come out which has a two camera system, so far ones that have come onto the market have not proven to be very reliable.