Azmontana

BMW E34 M5 S38B36 Restoration

Perhaps a dead Mirror control switch? Mine have stopped working since i stripped my doors apart and rebuilt them,  i have a strong feeling its the switch since it fell apart into a million pieces when i took it off the car :angry:

Mines got the memory seats/mirrors + heated seats and the switch is different to normal and NLA from BMW and i cant track down a 2nd hand replacement as yet :(

Edited by RingsideE34

Have you checked the mirror themselves? The electric mirrors on a 540 I once owned didn't work. On removing the door cards I found the plugs had been cut off by a previous owner!

Have you checked the mirror themselves? The electric mirrors on a 540 I once owned didn't work. On removing the door cards I found the plugs had been cut off by a previous owner!

The mirrors did work at one point but not working now. The wiring on this car had been butchered by previous owners. I'm thinking now when I've gone through repairing all the mess I might have missed something. Will go through my work and double check everything.

Its my M5 Elekta Touring. Hazel Nut extended leather, Black leather dash and Mexico Green carpets.

One of 10 in British Racing Green. Mine being the last one.

Just Google M5 Elekta. This one recently sold for $120,500 in the States http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-m5-2/

Some pictures of mine. Like you I'm doing a bit of restoration

5965199e05e5f_dash2.thumb.jpg.13a1b03e91f0cb1a8e573cbc93311102.jpg

dash5.thumb.jpg.84abfa2434fd80d8e82293e578abfdb4.jpg

596519e329991_dash3.thumb.jpg.cc50a2e3c475ad3d7ef39999f39e21f9.jpg

That is one nice project to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's usually atf in the box but people use royal purple which I did in my m3. Diff will be a Castrol lsd specific oil I would think

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/products/cars/axle-universal-fluids.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Duncan I use 75w 140 in my other cars so makes sense just wondering what other people use especially for the gearbox. As I understand it the requirements for the b36 and b38 gearboxes are different.

Even though my car is a b36 the previous owner told me he upgraded this to a b38 gearbox when the previous box broke.

Would be interesting to hear what others are using.

2 hours ago, greenelekta said:

No I use this cocktail of oil in my Six speed M5

box oil 1.jpg

Would this be the Royal Purple mix ?  Like the Americans use in their 6 speeds ? 

9 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Would this be the Royal Purple mix ?  Like the Americans use in their 6 speeds ? 

It is American made by Red Line

Got it from Opie Oils. Read about it on a US site and it works! Make sure the 75w140 is the NS version

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/articles/reduce_rattle.htm

No I use this cocktail of oil in my Six speed M5

5931c2a63eb61_boxoil1.thumb.jpg.94868c09678b2cbf40df1524fb818a40.jpg

Interesting. Well I've ordered the mt90 so will try and see how that works for me. Not sure when the last time the gearbox oil was changed but the box does feel knotchy.

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, Azmontana said:

Can someone save me some time and sanity and let me know what gearbox oil and diff oil you are using in your e34 m5's?

Diff , Castrol Syntrax 75w140

Getrag 280/5 , Dexron II .

Appx 2 litres in each .

D

So I've take the m5 for a few blasts. Great fun. Another issue has arisen the rear right suspension seems to be sagging. I.e. the drop is more than the other wheels. Difficult to get one finger in the gap.

From the history this cars sls was replaced in 2010 with a b12 bilstein kit. Bit surprised it's only lasted 7 years. So someone talk to me about the options I have available. I'm thinking of refreshing the complete suspension system. The b12 kit does feel nice and not too harsh haven't taken it on any real corners so can't comment.

I do like the current stance on the car I'd estimate at least a 40mm drop on all the other sides.

Any progress , Az ?

Not had a chance shifted focus on my h26 which I'm now prepping for paint. I'll be getting back to the m5 early oct where I'll start the sill work and investigate any other issues such as suspension etc.

de8bc9157a4987a8e8d043b85946ccd2.jpg

I'm taking the front seats out for a resto but also to help pull carpet back ready for sill welding.

The bolt holding the seat belt harness is on the opposite side and there's no room at all to get to the bolt on the other side.

I have a feeling this has been put the wrong way round at factory. Not done the drivers side yet but just seems like a crap design if this is actually the case.