Azmontana

BMW E34 M5 S38B36 Restoration

9 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

It's on the drivers side, inside the chassis rail :) It's the sensor which look like a chrome coin. But i might be wrong :huh: 

That's the sensor for the heated windscreen washer jets Carl

7 minutes ago, Azmontana said:

Thanks Dave. It's strange that the wiring location differs from LHD and RHD cars.

I'll do a simple test by short circuiting the wires and seeing how that changes the reading.

It is the same for LHD and RHD. I said its on the right hand side on my LHD. I think if you short the wires you still get the -45. And Dave is right, it took hours before mine recalibrated after I refitted the sensor. Ill put a picture up later

The ducting is only on the left side and goes to/feeds the air filter not the brakes. As you can see in the picture the right side is blanked and the temp sensor fits there

Edited by greenelekta

The ducting is only on the left side and goes to/feeds the air filter not the brakes. As you can see in the picture the right side is blanked and the temp sensor fits there

That makes sense my ducting pointed directly towards the brakes so there must be pieces missing to get to the airbox.

Thanks again.

16 hours ago, greenelekta said:

Come on dave! the ducting is alternator cooling!

Only the 3.8 has this resonance box #17 connected to it's air filter housing trumpet # 15 .

Apparently increased air flow to engine is the benefit .

The alternator ducting that begins on the front left corner should continue all the way to the alternator via a couple of connecting pieces .

D

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, Azmontana said:

Doesn't look like those altenator ducting pieces are available me from the dealers. Anyone got those bits spare to sell?

try David Olias at CMD, pm him on here as Davidoli or similar - he has a good stock of odd bits.

hth - k

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, Azmontana said:

Doesn't look like those altenator ducting pieces are available me from the dealers. Anyone got those bits spare to sell?

As Bros once sang , ' I'm your man  '

I'll give you a shout when I'm back in a couple of weeks .

D

Thanks Dave.

So after much work I finally got her back together and

6bcbb516b6674752770dd6546174c74d.jpg

I poured in the coolant and finally started her up after 6 months of laying dormant. She sang to life and idled beautifully. As she got warm smoke started pouring out. Looks like I have a leak around the thermostat housing.

I shut her down let her cool down and removed the housing. My initial suspicion was that I didn't replace the gasket which goes after the tstat. Took it apart and I realised the tstat I bought a gates one doesn't actually provide a complete seal around the housing.

271372d31e2bea59338ed071e7437db2.jpg

The above is the gates tstat as you can see it doesn't fully encircle the housing.

60ddbd8a4323c007156dc7e371f7755b.jpg

The above is the one I removed. A behr tstat as you can see it covers more of the housing. Measuring the 2 it's around 2.5mm bigger.

Lesson learnt even if it's states it's the correct part number not necessarily the same exact design.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this type of issue.

To do a through job I'll be replacing the gasket which sits inside the tstat housing just to rule that out too.

So I ordered a tstat directly from BMW. I can report the following.

fae447cfb8155f71a1cf6ebd3c32a3d0.jpg

The top tstat is from BMW and made by behr. Bottom one is from gates.

You can see the behr tstat has an outer lip which the gates one doesn't. I believe this will resolve my leak issue.

FYI the BMW tstat comes in at £60 you can order the same part behr part from autodoc for around £40. I decided just to bite the bullet as I'm eager to get her started.

Running nicely. Once she's up to temp I notice a few drops of water. I originally thought this must be from when bleeding the coolant system. I shut her down and 10 mins later still notice dropping.

ffd7050fb8a752848cf76f40b9b35699.jpg

It's coming from directly under the gearbox likely where the heater matrix would be is this a common failure point. What fails the matrix or pipes leading towards it?

I get it the fluid was running out the air conditioning holes in the matrix for condensation build up, they drain out into the transmission tunnel