Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.Angus

G30 520d XDrive - Tyre selection

2 posts in this topic

Technical question on a new G30 xDrive. I opted for the xDrive on my new 520d as I live in the north of Scotland and snow/ rain are obviously a common occurrence. I previously ran an '06 325i SE which was rear wheel drive and I ran the car all year round with Vredistein Wintrac extreme winter tyres . They were a real good tyre wore exceptionally well and were good even in summer time dispersing rainwater after a summer deluge. The tyres on my 5 series are Michelin Primacy 3's, which are a highly acclaimed summer tyre, but I'm thinking of fitting a set of all season tyres as I think they will be a good compromise. When asking dealer about tyre options they said it was a matter for a tyre fitter to recommend tyres baised on a new star rating system. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject or have a recommendation for a tyre?

Also on the subject of tyres - the tyres I ran on my 325i were not run flats and they didn't bother it at all. Does anyone have any info on this matter as have heard a lot of BMW owners looking a going away from run flats due to cost.

I have been advised that the electronic nature of the xDrive system makes it sensitive to tyre choice ?

Thoughts anyone?

cheers.

On 20/03/2017 at 5:23 PM, R.Angus said:

Also on the subject of tyres - the tyres I ran on my 325i were not run flats and they didn't bother it at all. Does anyone have any info on this matter as have heard a lot of BMW owners looking a going away from run flats due to cost.

I have been advised that the electronic nature of the xDrive system makes it sensitive to tyre choice ?

Thoughts anyone?

I can't see how the xDrive could make the car any more sensitive to tyre choice than 2wd would?

I've been running 19" Michelin Pilot Supersports on my F10 for the last 12k miles and the difference between them and the OEM Michelin Primacy run-flats is profound. Ride comfort, steering feel, road noise, and grip are all improved - but the biggest difference is how the tyres feel from cold. The run-flats were truly awful. They followed every defect in the road surface and the car felt really nervous until they had some heat in them.