Sign in to follow this  
5ADay

Hello :)

Thought I would come in and say Hello

I bought myself a E39 525 tds touring at the weekend :)

My first BMW so have lots to learn, looks like this forum will help with that.

The last 10 years I've had a 1990 Toyota Hilux double cab as my daily driver and family car, with 3 growing kids it's become to much of a struggle to fit in it, so the Hilux is now back to being a toy and can have a bit of well earned rest.

Since 2006 I've been collecting used cooking oil from a local chipy, I settle and filter the veg oil down to 1 micron and use as fuel, my Hilux has run on it for the last 180k

And the BMW is already running on it ;) which of course is why I picked a E39 525 TDS with it's M51 engine, as indirect injection engines can handle running thicker fuels quite well.

Got to say i'm impressed with the drive of the E39, lovely ride and handling, very comfy to sit in etc.

But then this is no surprise I guess, as having spent 10 years in a pickup truck that's on leaf spring front and rear, not electric anything apart from a clock and lights lol.

I need to do some tiding up on the car, headlights are faded big time, both front wings and the front bumper could do with some paint.

Engine I want to tune up for more power, first off with a chip, but also free flowing exhaust,  water injection and injection pump modifications further down the line.

Few pictures of it 

IMAG2431_zpsgjrwseum.jpg

IMAG2430_zps6ukarhvb.jpg

IMAG2429_zpsprmvc9ak.jpg

Welcome to the forum! That looks a tidy touring that you've found. The 39 certainly is a comfy, capable cruiser.

If it's an auto, check if the swirl flaps have been removed. If not - do it now!! :)

This will explain all - https://x8r.co.uk/products/bmw/bmw-diesel-swirl-flap-blanks-flaps-repair-with-intake-manifold-gaskets - You'd want 22mm and they have a discount code of 'VALUED' that may work and get you 10% off. If you ignore them, they can break and goose your engine. It's an easy job to do and whilst the inlet manifold is off, replace your vacuum lines too. If they're original they'll most likely need changing.

With the chip/remap, an EcoTune decat pipe is well worth fitting. Plus also Vortex style oil breather from a later E60 - they're about 35 quid off eBay. The original E39 ones with a filter tend to clog-up.

On the remap note, I had a 530d before with a DTUK tuning box which worked quite well.

Anyway, enjoy it! :)

Nice one, I was going to remove the inlet manifold anyway to clean it out and remove the EGR valve, so i will have a look first to see if I have swirl flaps and order some blanking ports from your link if needed, mine is an Auto, do they only have them on Auto's?

Does anyone know how the coolant system works on this engine, it heats up incredibly fast for a diesel, faster even than petrol engines!

It's as if it is storing coolant heat some how, and then dumping it back in when you start the engine.

For example, this morning I left for work at 5:40am, the engine had been switched off for 12 hours by this point, within 5 or 10 seconds of starting this morning the temp gauge was nearly reading a 1/4, within 2 minutes of driving (about half a mile) it was bang on in the middle with hot air coming out the cabin heater.  

You should be able to see under the passenger side of the inlet manifold if swirl flaps are still there, without removing the manifold - at least you can order the bits in advance. If you struggle just take a pic with your phone or get a mirror. If the flaps are still being used there'll be a linkage rod running under the manifold.

Ref the EGR. all down to personal opinion but I left mine in - especially as I found it to be squeaky clean. I think there's pros and cons to removing/keeping and maybe neither is more right than the other! lol

From memory they do have a (webasto??) unit for storing heat and that may be why it warms up quick. I'm sure someone here will put me right if I'm wrong :)

Edited by Hairyarse

Ah OK I will take a look when I finish work to see if there is a linkage arm under the inlet.

The EGR valve has already been blanked off on mine with a metal plate, but with the valve still in place, so I was going to remove it with one of the cheap kits you get on ebay, as I figured it would be less restrictive without the valve.

As i'm running it on veg oil I prefer it's not got a EGR valve, as more likely to gunk up when running veg oil from experience on other diesel engines I've had.

Mine doesn't have the pre heater option of a webesto heater unfortunately, but for sure has something different going on to heat up as fast as it does..

Had a little look after dinner don't think mine has any flaps from what i can see

IMAG2444_zpsw9urz0dx.jpg

IMAG2446_zpseplmxb4e.jpg

IMAG2447_zpsrambdit1.jpg

Not quite sure from the pics. I can't see any blanks that I recognise - that's not to say it's not been done though.

Fair point on the EGR. Some people blank off with a coin with a small hole drilled through it. If you do a search on here you'll find info on it for sure.