Style5

E28 518i Delphin Metallic

28 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Thought it was about time I joined up and posted on here instead of skirting around in the background.

I own a E28 518i which definitely isn't a rocket ship but I bought it on condition rather than power. It is an UK '86 registered car built Nov '85. Bought from a BMW Dealership in Geldern, Germany by a British Serviceman, it was shipped back to the UK and I am only the 3rd owner. It's just coming up to 40000 miles. Has some unusual options like electric sunroof, Pioneer upgrade and rear boot spoiler but also has wind up windows all round and no power steering !! It is heavy !!

I love it to bits and have changed just a few things such as putting on 15" Style 5 wheels as it had 14" steels and wheel trims, the 3 spoke steering wheel instead of the  huge 4 spoke wheel and added a cassette box. I had to add some creature comforts as it must have been a base model originally. My old school mate on here Splondike has seen the car - dread it if we go out - he'll leave me standing ! Any wont go on, here are some pictures if I've done it right ! E28 4 BMW5.jpgE28 5 BMW5.jpgE28 3 BMW5.jpgE28 6 BMW5.jpgE28 7 BMW5.jpgE28 8 BMW5.jpgE28 9 BMW5.jpgE28 10 BMW5.jpgE28 11 BMW5.jpg- E28 16 BMW5.jpgE28 17 BMW5.jpgE28 15 BMW5.jpg

E28 14 BMW5.jpg

Edited by Style5
jut 535i, Ordnator and Carl-e34 like this

Welcome to the forum, that looks very clean.......and it's not all about the speed!

Thanks guys for all your comments - really appreciate them. It isn't all about speed and BHP no - it doesn't really bother me as she cruises well at 70 and is surprisingly refined.  Would love to squeeze a bit more power out of her but don't really know how. I did do some research but pretty much was told there isn't much you can do with the M10 ?  I'll post some more pictures up soon.

1500bhp in qualifying trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you have to leave the Block outside and piss on it for a bit first supposedly.

I always thought the 318is lump would be an interesting way to pep a 518 up and keep the lightweight feel.

Cheers Guys, yes I have read about the M10 being involved in old F1.......i'd really like to do something to mine without changing the engine as its only done 40K.

I'd probably leave it alone then - not sure you'd gain much with tuning it - just turn up the tunes and cruise in style 8)

Something special about a 518I, doesn't matter if its a 518 or an M5. its all about the style. I always like the underdog as no one saves the base models. I have an M535i but drive it like an old man (I am old :lol:)

Seen this car before on Splondike's previous post. Very nice car, don't modify it. its probably more rare than a M535i.

Enjoy it as it is.

Gary.

Yeah maybe I will do power steering I'm the future but since I took off the original 4!spoke steering wheel and replaced it with a 3 spoke it has become a bit more manageable in  a way. Does make you grunt though and it's not great at self correcting which does catch me out the odd time. 

Edited by Style5

4 hours ago, garym535i said:

Something special about a 518I, doesn't matter if its a 518 or an M5. its all about the style. I always like the underdog as no one saves the base models. I have an M535i but drive it like an old man (I am old :lol:)

Seen this car before on Splondike's previous post. Very nice car, don't modify it. its probably more rare than a M535i.

Enjoy it as it is.

Gary.

No I wouldn't modify it with anything that isn't reversible or with anything that isn't period BMW accessories or options. It is a lovely car and well refined even as a base model. I've never been in a 6cyl BMW so they must be mega refined. The little M10 is possibly the best 4cyl engine I've ever experienced for smoothness. I just had to buy it because of the condition and mileage - weird as I only went out to get a pizza one night and then ended up chatting to the seller about it and telling him to hold it for me - luckily it turned out to be as good as he said !  Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. 

Had some new old stock side stripes laying around so decided today to fit them as the weather was warm. It may have even been too warm ! It took a bit longer than intended as I've never fitted stripes before so only got one side done. Used the swage line as a reference for positioning - I think it's come out alright but not seen it from a distance yet. IMG_6921.thumb.JPG.36133448f7103128f9c8a3afb1e18a09.JPGIMG_6922.thumb.JPG.56765591dfe10204da8a6965dfba0cfb.JPGIMG_6923.thumb.JPG.c29f87617762340ee2706f5c97deb68d.JPGIMG_6924.thumb.JPG.fb94df6e6021123324cd15f8ae3db131.JPG

Ordnator and boiliebasher like this

Your obviously bored Jez ;)

I quite like them, will be interested to see how it looks in the metal !

1 minute ago, Splondike said:

Your obviously bored Jez ;)

I quite like them, will be interested to see how it looks in the metal !

Probably will look like a Donkey's hind leg !  

Splondike likes this

4 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

I like it! Nice touch! B)

Thank you. I finished the other side earlier this week so at the weekend I'll be able to see it properly. I need the go faster stripes to look like I can keep up with Splondike and Co this weekend! 

Ordnator likes this