530d titansport

M5 back boxs

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, ive aquired a pair of M5 back boxes but ive noticed in all the pics i can find that there is a small oval cutout in the tailpipes directly after the boxes, does anyone know what its for?

I think it's to aid cooling of the outer wall (the tips are double skinned) and to let out any condensation that might get in between the skins (I also think there is a gap about 2 inches into the tips)

Hummmm ill have a good look upon collection, im hopeing i can squeeze both sets onto my sport touring but have a funny feeling im only gonna be able to use one side due to floor pan

50 minutes ago, 530d titansport said:

Hummmm ill have a good look upon collection, im hopeing i can squeeze both sets onto my sport touring but have a funny feeling im only gonna be able to use one side due to floor pan

Hi,

The OEM M5 rear silencers are quite large and also heavy, on the 'left' side of a Touring I think you'd find it quite a squeeze to make them fit and that's if at all. The 'right' side of the car would need extensive modifying of the floor metal to make the space required. In short, it's a big hassle in every aspect and far better to fit aftermarket much smaller and lighter exhaust items in order to get the functional quad look on a non M5/Touring E39. It's on my list of modifications I want to make on my car, but I also want to do it well so that it's efficient and won't cause issues. 

I had a Powerflow stainless steel back box with twin large oval tailpipes done around 2009 or so, and by one of the much better dealer/fitters. I've had zero issue with the exhaust since it was fitted. I'll most likely get it done by the same guy in due course. 

If you search around the forum, there's a few threads on how to get a good functional quad exhaust on an E39 with one or two mentioning the Touring as well. 

Cheers, Dennis!

have a read of this ( https://goo.gl/24Xg5I ) you might have to sign up   but wlell worth it

as dennis said on the list of things to do  there is a rear kit with twin outlets on ebay.de  700-900 euros  last time i looked that curves around the boot well on the tourings

Cheers guys, i had a good idea it would be alot of fab work, ill have a look at those options but dont want noise, i just hate that tail pipe and im not a single pipe fan either.