cashybai

LED Angel Eyes/HID Heads problem

Hi folks, I got a set of ebay special 3w LED Angel Eyes bulbs, which worked fine with the stock halogen dipped headlight bulbs. This week I fitted an 8000k HID set and problem arose! Turning the sidelights on, the indicators took the place of the angels, turning fully on. Going to dipped beam, the indicators resorted to normal operation, the headlights worked fine, but without angel eyes at all. Luckily I'd still got the stock angel eyes bulbs, fitting them back got my angel eyes up and running. I'm guessing I'm going to need a resistor in parallel across the LED angels to get them working with the HIDs, any idea how to work out a value, or should I just go grab a bulk lot from maplins?

Never heard of this issue before; bad earth somewhere maybe, or wonder if the ballasts/xenons are messing with the LEDs? 'eBay special' doesn't fill me with confidence... :blink:

I've 35W CREE angel eye LEDs running OEM ballasts with Osram Xenarc D2S xenon headlights, zero issues whatsoever

The HID kit you've installed; is it a H7 HID bulb, or a D2S bulb using OEM ballasts?

I think I've a good idea what the problem is... 3w leds as against stock 10w bulbs, I need to dig out my old electricity formula for voltage /resistance /power. I'm guessing that because the 3w leds are a load less resistance than the stock, power is heading to the indicators by some strange route? 

The LCM is detecting a blown side light bulb, when this happens it illuminates the indicator to give some sort of side light until the bulb is fixed.

And that's the weird bit... No blown light detection pre hid install, put the halogen oe bulbs back in angels work fine, take the hids out, put halogens back in and the leds back In the angels, leds working fine Again. It's gotta be a conflict between the hid ballasts and the leds.... 

More likely an interaction in the LCM detecting the current taken by the combination of HIDs and LEDs vs Halogens and LEDs, enough to tip it over the threshold.

Yes. However you need something pretty beefy as the resistance of the bulb on cold check is pretty low.  Ironically, the most efficient thing to use is a small bulb!!