f11 tourer

Best OPolishing Wax

17 posts in this topic

I have just bought my third 5 series tourer the two previous had  metallic paint this one is alpine white. I have previously used Collinite which I found to be really good but was wondering if any other wax is better suited for alpine white.

No experience of wax, but as you have a white car, a wax will give you a great finish. Certain colours suit a wax better than a sealant and white is one of them.

Pics are mandatory after waxing tho!:D

50 minutes ago, 535iAR said:

No experience of wax, but as you have a white car, a wax will give you a great finish. Certain colours suit a wax better than a sealant and white is one of them.

Pics are mandatory after waxing tho!:D

What would be best for carbon black?

I always use autoglym polish and then a good quality wax like g3 I think it's called. 

I use the Bilt-Hamber Finis-Wax after a clay bar session which I follow by polishing with Autoglym Super Resin Polish before the wax. Used on my Titan Silver F11 and Imperial Blue F45 gives a very nice finish.   

I also have used Collinite 476 wax for years with long lasting excellent results, however recently I have switch to using Fusso light wax which in my opinion has a superior gloss and durability the makers claim 12 months, it certainly sheets water better than Collinite even after three months, I have also trialled in on my bm alloy wheels on the front with excellent results brake dust and dirt just rolls off with just a hose, also done the same triall with our mini cooper which has powder coated wheels these were always difficult to clean especially the front, this wax  has been easilly the best I have tryed on the bodywork & wheels to date and I highly recommend it, I beleive its success  is due to how they have managed to blend PTFE into their wax is what helping sheet water so well and repel dirt and bird droppings, brake dust..

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

What would be best for carbon black?

I always use autoglym polish and then a good quality wax like g3 I think it's called. 

Depends on what finish you want on your black car.

Black could be finished with either a wax or a sealent. Black would take the 'wet' look a wax gives you or the sparkle a sealent gives you. I've always used a sealent on Tit Silver which my current and previous two E60s were. Sealent brings out the sparkle in the Tit silver paint colour which you won't get to the same effect on white I don't think, hence why white suits the wet wax finish IMO.

Here is a black car with a sealent finish

You can see the sparkle I got in the paint with the sealent finish.

But it is down to personal preference. Sealent finish gives a very durable finish, long lasting. Wax doesn't quite last as long. Well that was the case when I was into (had the time pre littl'un) detailing. Things have probably moved on quite a lot since then.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Autoglym Super Resin Polish before the wax. 

How do you boys find the Super resin polish?  I used to use it but found it didn't last and after someone suggested Meguiars 3 step polish I tried it on the bonnet of my blue E39. I did half the bonnet with AG SRP followed by AG Extra gloss protection, and did half with the Megs 3 step polish.  The finish was better and longer lasting on the Meguiars side.

I now use Menzerna 3.02 power finish and Menzerna 85RE final polish which are machine polishers with car lack sealent. 

The resin polish brings up a good shine and removes minor scratches which is then sealed with the wax so can't attest to its individual longevity.

It's a polish so I'm not sure what longevity you'd get, as I think it all polishes off. Unless I'm using it totally wrong haha.

I have used it with good results in fixing stone chips. Fill the chip proud with lacquer, wet sand with 2500 grit paper (is all I've got) then autoglym polish and it brings up a treat.

Polish is used as part of the cleaning process, wax or sealent gives the finish.

Super Resin AG polish will remove fine scratches because the resin in it fills the scratches. It will weather out and the scratches reappear. You need a machine polisher to get rid of fine scratches as per the pics in my link above.

bmwmike likes this